Did I shoot myself in the foot? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sbl274

New

Did I shoot myself in the foot?

Post by sbl274 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:04 am

Just got done with my first law school exam. I finished with 2 minutes left. Spent those two minutes reading over my answers, when, to my horror, I found several grammar(!) mistakes. I know this probably depends on the professor, but can anyone fill me in on how much professors take grammar and sloppiness (not of organization, just grammar) into account? All else being equal, of course. Thanks and happy studying!

Zindras

New

Re: Did I shoot myself in the foot?

Post by Zindras » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:08 am

Flame?

99% chance it doesn't matter, assuming your professor isn't this guy -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4vf8N6GpdM.

seahawk32

Bronze

Post by seahawk32 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:28 am

Most of my professors explicitly acknowledged the fact that we are under immense time-pressure and noted that mistakes of grammar are to be expected. I think good application of law to fact will outweigh any minor grammatical errors you may have committed.

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:39 am

seahawk32 wrote:Most of my professors explicitly acknowledged the fact that we are under immense time-pressure and noted that mistakes of grammar are to be expected. I think good application of law to fact will outweigh any minor grammatical errors you may have committed.
I agree. Most professors don't care if it's an in class exam, especially if there's no word limit. A take home exam or an in class with a word limit which the professor says is designed to be done in less time than given are different.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:19 am

Most of my exams are full of typos and grammatical errors. Professors know you are under a crunch. Most explicitly say they don't care. Obviously, it's probably better at some subconscious level if you don't have them, but it probably doesn't matter much.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 1:27 am

Spelling errors are more acceptable than grammatical errors, as errors in grammar can affect the thought flow. But more generally -

STOP. Move on, give that exam zero thought now. Seriously, it's in the books, a second spent thinking about it is a second not spent thinking about your next one. You'll be fine.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Wed Dec 12, 2012 7:07 pm

It shouldn't affect your grade.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:45 pm

I had this sentence on an exam I got an A on:
trhe fact that he says it is the truth wkill likely per [case name] make his opinion as to his dancing enough of a fact ot count as an affirmative misrepersentation for the purposes of estalihsing fraud. As the other elements of fraud were hardt oproof, the case IS distinuisbale from [case name] and as such no fraud

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:57 am

Bad grammar will not hurt you. Amazing grammar (combined with good headings, and a good roadmap) may get you a small bump. But the grammar portion of that is probably the lowest on the "give a fuck" factor for the professor.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BeachandRun23

Bronze

Post by BeachandRun23 » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:24 am

shock259 wrote:Most of my exams are full of typos and grammatical errors. Professors know you are under a crunch. Most explicitly say they don't care. Obviously, it's probably better at some subconscious level if you don't have them, but it probably doesn't matter much.
I've never worried about spelling and grammar at all. I dont think professors really care either unless you write so outlandishly that it makes you look like an idiot. Most professors realize exams are an all out sprint for 3 hours and you're not going to have time to carefully proofread or write with lyrical ease.

kanYeWestLAW

New

Post by kanYeWestLAW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:04 pm

The only issue I had on my test is that the auto correct on SoftTest would change offeree to offer. I changed it in time, but that probably would have caused confusion when grading.

MinEMorris

Bronze

Post by MinEMorris » Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:22 pm

You didn't shoot yourself in the foot by making a grammatical error, but you may have shot yourself in the foot by writing slowly/carefully enough to feel confident that you didn't.

I'm assuming this is a flame, though. Obviously most exams are turned in with ridiculous spelling and grammar errors.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”