Crazy book question!! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gusbus12

New

Crazy book question!!

Post by gusbus12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:10 pm

I'm sure this topic has already been discussed in this forum so I am sorry about bringing it up again, but I just cant find anything on it. So, in my constant search of ways to save money, I started wondering if anyone has relied on westlaw or lexis for their reading to avoid having to purchase casebooks as a means to save money. I know there are more to read in these casebooks than the cases, but as far as I can tell(only half a semester in) its nothing that cant be gained from supplement books, which I am going to buy anyway. So, because we get to print from westlaw and lexis for free, its seems like the money saved far outweighs the little bit of added pain in the ass from printing. Or if no one has done this, does anyone recommend against it? I am just trying to think of a way to save some $$$! Thanks for any advice

War Eagle *facepalm*

prezidentv8

Gold

Re: Crazy book question!!

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:16 pm

Gotta be honest, I like the idea. Can only think of a few classes that would have been a problem in, too.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:18 pm

The cases in your casebook are heavily edited down. You'll spend a lot of time either figuring out which prt of the case isn't necessary to read, or just reading parts that are not necessary.

Buy used on Amazon, and sell back to Amazon. It's pretty cheap that way.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:21 pm

What DF said.

Plus, most of my professors like to talk about the excerpts from treatises and other cases in the notes between major cases in the casebooks.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:The cases in your casebook are heavily edited down.
Oh yeah. Forgot about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:50 pm

I stopped buying books this semester. I'll let you know if it was a foolish idea after I get my grades, lol

gusbus12

New

Post by gusbus12 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:55 pm

Preciate it guys. And yeah I was concerned about not having the edited down version, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if anybody has attempted it.
Because I was an idiot and scared about buying the wrong books, I wanted to make sure I bought exactly what I needed to buy so I used the bookstore, and of course only new books were available. So, I've been planning on using amazon since the minute I stormed out of there after spending a summers worth of savings on books.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:58 pm

gusbus12 wrote:Preciate it guys. And yeah I was concerned about not having the edited down version, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if anybody has attempted it.
Because I was an idiot and scared about buying the wrong books, I wanted to make sure I bought exactly what I needed to buy so I used the bookstore, and of course only new books were available. So, I've been planning on using amazon since the minute I stormed out of there after spending a summers worth of savings on books.
Your school should give you the ISBNs. It is not hard to get the right books.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:00 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
gusbus12 wrote:Preciate it guys. And yeah I was concerned about not having the edited down version, but I just wanted to throw the idea out there and see if anybody has attempted it.
Your school should give you the ISBNs. It is not hard to get the right books.
or scan them shits with a bar-code scanning app and find the best deals on the net :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:01 pm

Best idea is buying the old edition. Unless there was a major rewrite, you get 95% of the same cases for a fraction of the cost. And then just pull the other cases up on westlaw.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:27 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Best idea is buying the old edition. Unless there was a major rewrite, you get 95% of the same cases for a fraction of the cost. And then just pull the other cases up on westlaw.
This. Just make sure nothing major has happened in that area of law (i.e., Rules of Evidence just got restyled, so it probably would be a bad idea to get an older version of a casebook).

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:33 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Best idea is buying the old edition. Unless there was a major rewrite, you get 95% of the same cases for a fraction of the cost. And then just pull the other cases up on westlaw.
This. Just make sure nothing major has happened in that area of law (i.e., Rules of Evidence just got restyled, so it probably would be a bad idea to get an older version of a casebook).
Eh, the rules were written but functionally are the exact same.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:35 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:other cases in the notes between major cases in the casebooks.
I've had more than a few professors who used a fact pattern from a note case as the basis for an exam. If you spotted it, you were gold.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:39 pm

kalvano wrote:
I've had more than a few professors who used a fact pattern from a note case as the basis for an exam. If you spotted it, you were gold.
People always say this but I'm skeptical. The professor is going to want you to argue multiple potential arguments. Knowing which one actually happened, isn't that huge of an advantage. Unless the professor hands out tons of points for saying Penis v. MicroPeen says X.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
kalvano wrote:
People always say this but I'm skeptical. The professor is going to want you to argue multiple potential arguments. Knowing which one actually happened, isn't that huge of an advantage. Unless the professor hands out tons of points for saying Penis v. MicroPeen says X.

It's worked for me. Not necessarily because I could cite to the case and not argue the issues, but because knowing the case meant I already knew most, if not all, of the issues to talk about.

On my Crim Pro final, I figured out which case it was from and found a few more issues to talk about.

ClubberLang

Bronze

Post by ClubberLang » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:14 pm

Just buy the old edition. Use Westlaw for any new cases. You're welcome.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”