e&e v chirelstein v posin for income tax supplement? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ninny

New

e&e v chirelstein v posin for income tax supplement?

Post by ninny » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:12 am

which is the best? should i get all of them? textbook used is malman sugin solomon hesch.

lawyerdown27

New

Re: e&e v chirelstein v posin for income tax supplement?

Post by lawyerdown27 » Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:13 pm

Unlike most fed tax posters, I didn't find Chirelstein that helpful. But this has more to do with that I didn't start looking at it until a few days before the exam, when I needed more canned explanations. Chirelstein could be valuable if you have time to go through it. I thought the E&E was helpful to understand things, but a lot of the problems that I did weren't particularly challenging, so you will want to do more practice problems than just the E&E. No idea about Posin.

At the suggestion of other posters on this board, I checked out the big wall-sized tax map from the library and followed those flowcharts for questions on my final. Most of the things we covered were on there, but a few weren't (1250 or 179 recapture, details on related-party exchanges, etc.), so I just noted to make sure to talk about those if applicable.

ninny

New

Post by ninny » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:37 pm

thanks!

Bikeflip

Gold

Post by Bikeflip » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:24 pm

To echo the previous poaster: I'm too dumb to fully grasp Chirelstein's dense passages, but I'm smart enough to understand the E & E. If your professor wants you to explain the policies behind provisions, Chirelstein's the book you need. If you need to plug and chug, go with the E & E.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”