Themis Bar Prep? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
legallymidwestern

New

Themis Bar Prep?

Post by legallymidwestern » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:46 pm

I'm a 1L, and weighing my options before I give in and sign up for Barbri (like everyone else in my class seems to be doing). I really like that Themis is all online, and it's offered in the state where I plan to take. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences they could share? Thanks!

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Re: Themis Bar Prep?

Post by Lighthouse28 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 4:58 pm

legallymidwestern wrote:I'm a 1L, and weighing my options before I give in and sign up for Barbri (like everyone else in my class seems to be doing). I really like that Themis is all online, and it's offered in the state where I plan to take. Does anyone have any positive/negative experiences they could share? Thanks!
Check out this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=180854

FYI, Themis credits the $250 Barbri deposit. I put down a $250 deposit and Themis already credited my account with it. So even if you decide to take Themis when you are a 3L, it doesn't hurt to put down the Barbri deposit because then you can still get all the 1L study guides they hand out. Just in case you are unable to make up your mind.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:15 pm

As I have said many a time lately,

DAT THEMIS.

Mick Haller

Silver

Post by Mick Haller » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:22 pm

I say go with Themis or Kaplan. Both are at least as good as Barbri and significantly cheaper.

There's no reason to pay the premium for a classroom course. Most people quit going to the live lectures after a few weeks anyway.

andythecandyman

New

Post by andythecandyman » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Initially signed up with Barbri as a 1L; as a 3L I switched to Themis, which gave me a $250 credit to cover my BarBri deposit. I ended up paying $995 total for NY and MA.

Followed the Themis schedule and walked out of both bars knowing that I passed...and I did. Only negative - the Themis site went down a couple times over the study period (which was immensely frustrating at the time, but in the end I probably lost 15-20 hours of study time total). I heard rumors that the Barbri site crashed a few times too.

Bottom line - if you're a decent test taker and can stay motivated enough to work at home and not have to sit in a classroom (I much preferred doing everything at home and on my own schedule), you will pass with Themis and feel pretty slick that you saved $1500-$2000.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 pm

I thought Themis was $1500. How do you get it cheaper?

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:31 pm

I used a different course, but the two great selling points for Themis are that they publish pass rates (http://www.themisbar.com/state-bar-exam-pass-rates), and they seem to have a decent refund policy (http://www.themisbar.com/pricing).

andythecandyman

New

Post by andythecandyman » Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:58 am

kalvano wrote:I thought Themis was $1500. How do you get it cheaper?
I signed up in late January at the Themis table at my school and they gave me some early bird deal. By March or April they started getting desperate and sent out an e-mail to all 3Ls offering the course in any state for $995. This was two years ago, so maybe it's different now. In any case, the $1495 is definitely not their lowest price - talk to a rep.

Lighthouse28

Bronze

Post by Lighthouse28 » Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:09 am

andythecandyman wrote:
kalvano wrote:I thought Themis was $1500. How do you get it cheaper?
I signed up in late January at the Themis table at my school and they gave me some early bird deal. By March or April they started getting desperate and sent out an e-mail to all 3Ls offering the course in any state for $995. This was two years ago, so maybe it's different now. In any case, the $1495 is definitely not their lowest price - talk to a rep.
Oh good, I haven't paid Themis yet for the summer 2013 course. But they did credit me $250 for my Barbri deposit, so right now my outstanding balance is $1245. Any tips on how to get a cheaper rate? What should I do/say?? Themis doesn't come to table at my law school, so I never got an early bird deal or anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”