California cases(citing) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dirtyjesus

New

California cases(citing)

Post by dirtyjesus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:05 pm

I know you cannot cite unpublished appellate cases. It says they cannot be cited in WL. But what about trial court rulings, can they be cited?

SemperLegal

Silver

Re: California cases(citing)

Post by SemperLegal » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:11 pm

dirtyjesus wrote:I know you cannot cite unpublished appellate cases. It says they cannot be cited in WL. But what about trial court rulings, can they be cited?
Only opinions ordered officially published can be cited as authority before California courts (see California Rules of Court, Rules 976 et seq.). All California Supreme Court decisions are published, while less than 20% of Courts of Appeal decisions are authorized for publication. Superior (trial) court decisions are considered non-precedential and, although binding on the parties to the case, are not published. However, selected opinions of the Appellate Departments of the Superior Court have been published since 1929. Unpublished cases (usually appellate-level decisions) can sometimes be found on LexisNexis or Westlaw or may be reproduced in topical looseleaf services.

http://libguides.law.ucla.edu/californiacases

Edited for emphasis

dextermorgan

Silver

Post by dextermorgan » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:17 pm

My Crim professor was bitching about how hard it is to find lower court cases from California just today.

I have no idea about the citing thing though, you should probably listen to that other guy.

dirtyjesus

New

Post by dirtyjesus » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:30 pm

SemperLegal wrote:
dirtyjesus wrote:I know you cannot cite unpublished appellate cases. It says they cannot be cited in WL. But what about trial court rulings, can they be cited?
Only opinions ordered officially published can be cited as authority before California courts (see California Rules of Court, Rules 976 et seq.). All California Supreme Court decisions are published, while less than 20% of Courts of Appeal decisions are authorized for publication. Superior (trial) court decisions are considered non-precedential and, although binding on the parties to the case, are not published. However, selected opinions of the Appellate Departments of the Superior Court have been published since 1929. Unpublished cases (usually appellate-level decisions) can sometimes be found on LexisNexis or Westlaw or may be reproduced in topical looseleaf services.

http://libguides.law.ucla.edu/californiacases

Edited for emphasis
Thanks, very helpful info and link.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”