OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Post Reply
rustyyoda

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by rustyyoda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:34 pm

I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!

User avatar
chiguy99

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by chiguy99 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:17 pm

Anyone have some clutch policy arguments for Prop? I have some, but my prof is heavy on policy so can't hurt to have more + I feel like I'm missing some impressive ones... if makes a dif he is big on economical shiite :D

User avatar
chiguy99

New
Posts: 45
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:38 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by chiguy99 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:21 pm

chiguy99 wrote:Anyone have some clutch policy arguments for Prop? I have some, but my prof is heavy on policy so can't hurt to have more + I feel like I'm missing some impressive ones... if makes a dif he is big on economical shiite :D
forgot to give Birdnals proper credit for a list of some as well, my apologies

User avatar
Nova

Platinum
Posts: 9102
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!
Ill PM you a pretty good link I know of. I thiiiink they have federalism issues.

If anyone could send some property model answers my way about LL-T/Estates + FI/ Easments + RC + ES... it would be very appriciated. I have yet to come across anything for those issues.
Last edited by Nova on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Nova wrote:
rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!
Ill PM you a pretty good link I know of. I thiiiink they have federalism issues.

If anyone could send some property model answers about LL-T/Estates + FI/ Easments + RC + ES, my way... it would be very appriciated. I have yet to come across methodical breakdown of the issues.

do you just want a massive outline that does it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!


User avatar
Nova

Platinum
Posts: 9102
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:42 pm

mephistopheles wrote:
Nova wrote:
rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!
Ill PM you a pretty good link I know of. I thiiiink they have federalism issues.

If anyone could send some property model answers about LL-T/Estates + FI/ Easments + RC + ES, my way... it would be very appriciated. I have yet to come across methodical breakdown of the issues.

do you just want a massive outline that does it?
Sure. Sounds like a good read.

User avatar
mephistopheles

Gold
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:43 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by mephistopheles » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:43 pm

pm your email.

User avatar
Nova

Platinum
Posts: 9102
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:44 pm

Thanks bro

User avatar
Bronck

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:45 pm

chiguy99 wrote:Anyone have some clutch policy arguments for Prop? I have some, but my prof is heavy on policy so can't hurt to have more + I feel like I'm missing some impressive ones... if makes a dif he is big on economical shiite :D
+1 i would like this as well plz

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?


User avatar
Jsa725

Gold
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:30 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bronck

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm

Jsa725 wrote:suppose A has a covenant in his deed that says "cannot build above 1 story" and his neighbor B wants to enjoin him from building 2 stories....what questions do you ask to determine whether the benefit and burdens both t & c the land? is it merely a value added value lost type analysis. A 's burden T&C the land b/c he cannot add value by building above 1 story and the benefit to B T&C the land b/c he is benefitted by the uniformity of the neighborhood having only 1 story homes?

i am trying to make sure that the analysis is coherent b/c i am not sure what else to say?
This is what Sprankling had to say:
  • Burden doesn’t run if the benefit is in gross
  • Covenant are less likely to “touch and concern” when the connection to physical use of land diminishes (i.e., when it doesn’t limit the manner in which successors may use the prop)
  • Negative Covenants: e.g., not to compete (OK) or restrict use of promisor’s land (OK)
  • Affirmative Covenants: modern trend = holding that monetary payments related to the land (pay prop taxes, purchase insurance, etc) are OK
So, yes, that would touch and concern the land because it limits the manner in which successors may use the property.

Of course this only matters if one of the parties is a successor... if not, then you just follow contract law.

User avatar
Jsa725

Gold
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:47 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Bronck

Gold
Posts: 2025
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:28 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Bronck » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Bronck wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:suppose A has a covenant in his deed that says "cannot build above 1 story" and his neighbor B wants to enjoin him from building 2 stories....what questions do you ask to determine whether the benefit and burdens both t & c the land? is it merely a value added value lost type analysis. A 's burden T&C the land b/c he cannot add value by building above 1 story and the benefit to B T&C the land b/c he is benefitted by the uniformity of the neighborhood having only 1 story homes?

i am trying to make sure that the analysis is coherent b/c i am not sure what else to say?
This is what Sprankling had to say:
  • Burden doesn’t run if the benefit is in gross
  • Covenant are less likely to “touch and concern” when the connection to physical use of land diminishes (i.e., when it doesn’t limit the manner in which successors may use the prop)
  • Negative Covenants: e.g., not to compete (OK) or restrict use of promisor’s land (OK)
  • Affirmative Covenants: modern trend = holding that monetary payments related to the land (pay prop taxes, purchase insurance, etc) are OK
So, yes, that would touch and concern the land because it limits the manner in which successors may use the property.

Of course this only matters if one of the parties is a successor... if not, then you just follow contract law.
ahhh danke sehr! essentially we can use: 1) value added/ lost for benefitted/burdened party, and 2) limitations that the covenant places on the burdened estate...

and there are technically 2 analyses per covenant: 1) covenant running w/ the land analysis to make sure A is bound by the covenant, and then 2) equitable servitude analysis to determine whether B can enforce the covenant in equity
If you meet the standard for real covenants, then AFAIK, you're going to meet the standard for equitable servitudes as well, since the horizontal and vertical privity elements are lacking.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!


User avatar
Jsa725

Gold
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:04 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Redamon1

Bronze
Posts: 481
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:46 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:40 pm

I can't figure this out. Sources contradict each other: what is the difference between a contract-in-fact, a contract-in-law, an implied contract, and a quasi contract?

Are some of these synonymous? Are they formed any differently? Do they give rise to different remedies?

User avatar
Jsa725

Gold
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:51 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squid2211

New
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:53 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by squid2211 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:14 pm

rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!
Con law exams with answers: http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/gmaggs/

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...


rustyyoda

New
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by rustyyoda » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

squid2211 wrote:
rustyyoda wrote:I'm looking for con law practice exams and model answers. I've found plenty that deal with the personal rights issues, but we did the federalism issues (comm clause, standing, executive privilege, 10th A, state action, etc) this semester and I'm having a hard time finding practice questions for that. If anyone has any links I'd sincerely appreciate it!
Con law exams with answers: http://docs.law.gwu.edu/facweb/gmaggs/
You and Nova are gods among men. Thanks!

User avatar
dannynoonan87

Bronze
Posts: 236
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:36 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by dannynoonan87 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:14 pm

there's so much drama in the MPC it's kinda hard being Snoop D-O-double G but I...

somehow someway, keep coming up with funky ways not to retreat like every single day

may i...commit a little murder with no degrees and...

Chorus: reckless down the street, smoking endooo, sipping on gin and juice....laid back...with a conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustifiable risk

User avatar
Jsa725

Gold
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:22 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Birdnals

Gold
Posts: 4579
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Birdnals » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:04 pm

6 hours into 24 hour take home exam. About to take a break and watch a movie/eat before getting back to it. This is fucking miserable and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I will never hate on a racehorse exam ever again.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!


User avatar
Jsa725

Gold
Posts: 2002
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:05 pm

.
Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
laxbrah420

Gold
Posts: 2720
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:43 pm

dannynoonan87 wrote:there's so much drama in the MPC it's kinda hard being Snoop D-O-double G but I...

somehow someway, keep coming up with funky ways not to retreat like every single day

may i...commit a little murder with no degrees and...

Chorus: reckless down the street, smoking endooo, sipping on gin and juice....laid back...with a conscious disregard of a substantial and unjustifiable risk
This is solid.
When I listen to 50 (or is it the Game?) rap about what happens when someone steps on his white air-ones, and it turns out it's redrum, he should have said rethgualsnam to communicate how doing that is so outrageous and provocative that his heat of passion killing would be justifiable and proportionate.

SportsFan

Silver
Posts: 727
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:26 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by SportsFan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:49 pm

Was starting to freak out a bit earlier about my property final tomorrow, but I've studied like crazy for the last few hours and now I feel pretty comfortable with the material. I thought I'd finished my outline for the class yesterday, but somehow I've managed to add like 5 pages onto it today... :? :lol:

User avatar
brotherdarkness

Gold
Posts: 3252
Joined: Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by brotherdarkness » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:36 pm

.
Last edited by brotherdarkness on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!


Post Reply

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”