OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Jsa725

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by Jsa725 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:52 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:07 pm

Thoughts on the best length for an attack outline? 2 pages seem good? I guess I can always adjust it after PT's... My civ pro is gonna be a lot longer though because of pre-written answers (the BLL, basically).

MissMock

New

Post by MissMock » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:09 pm

Does anybody have suggestions or access to multiple choice crim exams? Specifically on Dressler if possible? My entire exam is multiple choice and I've used up all the practice questions I can find in supplements.

jgc02a

New

Post by jgc02a » Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:13 pm

MissMock wrote:Does anybody have suggestions or access to multiple choice crim exams? Specifically on Dressler if possible? My entire exam is multiple choice and I've used up all the practice questions I can find in supplements.
Best book for practicing multiple choice question??? yeah, you can use supplements like q&a etc..you know what the very best book is for practicing mult choice? Finz multistate method. These are the mcq's that iv'e been practicing on!!! Here's the link! Plus, there are thousands of mcq questions for all of your subject like torts, contracts, etc.. check it out. I hope this helps you!

http://www.amazon.com/Strategies-Tactic ... multistate

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:17 pm

Jsa725 wrote:
Raiden wrote:Switching music between Kaskade and Chopin. It is getting crazy in here.

Keep on trekkin team.
tso pumped right nao
Lol, nice, lets just play our exams as smoothly as he plays his cello. Real mellow.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 pm

What is this attack outline that you all speak of? I assume it's just a super condensed outline to use at first glance before you get into the more expansive, detailed outline for case specifics?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:35 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:What is this attack outline that you all speak of? I assume it's just a super condensed outline to use at first glance before you get into the more expansive, detailed outline for case specifics?
It's an outline equipped with a sword to attack other student's outlines during the exam.

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:06 pm

Raiden wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:What is this attack outline that you all speak of? I assume it's just a super condensed outline to use at first glance before you get into the more expansive, detailed outline for case specifics?
It's an outline equipped with a sword to attack other student's outlines during the exam.
DAT CURVE.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:19 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:
Raiden wrote:
DAT CURVE.
Lol, I probably shouldn't be supporting that mentality...

But yeah, I am not sure exactly what it is. I think it's a condensed version to quickly spot the issues and sub issues.

On a side note, my current favorite song is "more room for happiness" above and beyond remix (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXqOQmAmTmk).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:35 pm

Right now this song has been pumping me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET_WF9F_FhY

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:52 am

Another hour or get 7 hours of sleep?

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:54 am

Depends on the marginal returns amigo. More than likely, each additional hour in the night is less productive.

Don't forget that the brain makes useful connections while you are sleeping, adding the water to bring to fruition your hard earned studying.

Also, an apple a day keeps the doctor away.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:58 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:58 am

A-team, I have a quick contracts question.

What the proper formula for calculating remedies in a breech of K?

From my understanding its:

[K price] - [fair market value or cover] - [incidental damages] - [consequential damages]

or is it actually: [K price] - [fair market value or cover] & then you subtract incidental damages] + [consequential damages] separately? I didn't understand the logic of numero 30 in K's Crunchtime.

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:00 am

Jsa725 wrote:Long day of K's MC and general K's studying. Feels like the MC tore me a new...
Oh well I'll keep grinding out K's another day...I WANT IT. CSWS.

Packing up now.... SLEEP and being well rested is paramount for optimal exam performance!
I feel you about the K MC...did 30 in sets of 10, and I would miss 4 out of 10 every single time. Killin me Smalls.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:00 am

Raiden wrote:A-team, I have a quick contracts question.

[K price] - [fair market value or cover] - [incidental damages] - [consequential damages]

or is it actually: [K price] - [fair market value or cover] & then you subtract incidental damages] + [consequential damages] separately? I didn't understand the logic of numero 30 in K's Crunchtime.
+1. And what is a sound way to write this on the test?

Edit: I am feeling good. I issue spotted a few exams and discovered ~60% of the issues, obviously all the major ones. But a part of e still gets nervous. I just hope all our hard work comes through.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:05 am

Just to clarify, you mean expectation damages right?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:11 am

SportsFan wrote:

Just to clarify, you mean expectation damages right?
Right. Like in Hadley v. Baxendale.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:57 am

K damages

(Direct loss + Extra Loss) - (cost avoided+loss avoided through mitigation)

swimmer11

Bronze

Post by swimmer11 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:02 am

LetsGoLAW wrote:

+1. And what is a sound way to write this on the test?

Edit: I am feeling good. I issue spotted a few exams and discovered ~60% of the issues, obviously all the major ones. But a part of e still gets nervous. I just hope all our hard work comes through.
How long was the hypo? Does it have an answer key?

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:03 am

Two and a half pages and yes.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rawlberto

Bronze

Post by Rawlberto » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:18 am

I just finished my professor's most recent K final.

Had to measure recoverable damages for one party who has contracts (2 each) with 3 different merchants. No price on the Ks as the breaching party had an output K with the party you "were representing." More or less wrote nothing down. I hope this was because this was his first time teaching Ks because it was honestly ridiculous.

My answer was atrocious. My only saving grace would for the curve to have an even more atrocious response. Looks I won't be back next semester!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:42 am

Expectation damages is essentially giving the non-breaching party the benefit of the bargain. That is the underlying rationale. It's easier to look to the totality of circumstances and the underlying rationale, it helps with the analysis unless it's MC or something.

Mechanically, it's K-price - market price + incidentals (if any) + consequentials* - losses saved because of breach.

*Sellers don't get consequentials under the UCC (if the contract is for goods, look out for this), only buyers do.

The analysis should look at the non-breaching party's reasonable attempts at mitigating losses (cover etc) and whether they were obligated to mitigate damages to begin with.

Consequentials should be analyzed from the point of forseeability. They must naturally flow from the breach, I forget the exact wording (I haven't studied for K's).

Special damages should consider whether they were communicated (there's a specific phrase for this) at the time of contracting (compare the case about the shaft...Hadley?...with the one about some crane or something).There's a minority rule in Arkansas that requires tacit agreement at the time of contracting for special damages to apply.

This all depends on what your professor taught and the specific fact pattern, as well as the point at which there was a breach, which is why knowing the "benefit of the bargain - i.e. putting parties into a position had the contract been performed" helps.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:45 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

Expectation damages is essentially giving the non-breaching party the benefit of the bargain. That is the underlying rationale. It's easier to look to the totality of circumstances and the underlying rationale, it helps with the analysis unless it's MC or something.

Mechanically, it's K-price - market price + incidentals (if any) + consequentials* - losses saved because of breach.

*Sellers don't get consequentials under the UCC (if the contract is for goods, look out for this), only buyers do.

The analysis should look at the non-breaching party's reasonable attempts at mitigating losses (cover etc) and whether they were obligated to mitigate damages to begin with.

Consequentials should be analyzed from the point of forseeability. They must naturally flow from the breach, I forget the exact wording (I haven't studied for K's).

Special damages should consider whether they were communicated (there's a specific phrase for this) at the time of contracting (compare the case about the shaft...Hadley?...with the one about some crane or something).There's a minority rule in Arkansas that requires tacit agreement at the time of contracting for special damages to apply.

This all depends on what your professor taught and the specific fact pattern, as well as the point at which there was a breach, which is why knowing the "benefit of the bargain - i.e. putting parties into a position had the contract been performed" helps.
Just to clarify this, raiden, your biggest mistake seems to be subtracting consequential when you should be adding them.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:49 pm

11 days until my first final. fml

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”