OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soj

Platinum

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by soj » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 am

hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote: I'm tempted to not do the rest of the readings (Complicity, or w/e) and just OL from Dressler for that section instead. Thoughts?
Might not be a bad idea. That said, complicity and conspiracy are like the only things with any semblance of nuance in Crim, from what I can tell.

It is (obviously) your call as to if you think it'll be worth it.
? not sure what's you mean, but there's plenty of nuance in mens rea, possession, and other areas. dressler is great for all of it, though.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:50 am

I didn't realize I'd be doing Con Law for Property too. WTF, takings.

Bronck

Gold

Post by Bronck » Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:08 am

Fucking 180 pages of property to finish out the semester (5 classes). Ate up my entire day.

Hope I can finish the reading for the rest of the classes [for the rest of the semester] tomorrow, thereby letting me focus exclusively on finals prep.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:35 am

Any LEEWSers in da house? *raises glass*

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:40 am

soj wrote:
hibiki wrote:
Bronck wrote: I'm tempted to not do the rest of the readings (Complicity, or w/e) and just OL from Dressler for that section instead. Thoughts?
Might not be a bad idea. That said, complicity and conspiracy are like the only things with any semblance of nuance in Crim, from what I can tell.

? not sure what's you mean, but there's plenty of nuance in mens rea, possession, and other areas. dressler is great for all of it, though.
My crim exam (100 MC questions) is basically all about nuances. :| You can know all the basic BLL but most questions are "what is the best/worst option", with no clear answer unless you spend 5 minutes reading Dressler while you do the question haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:51 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:52 am

Does anybody have some solid Crim practice tests with MPC as the core background law but with statutes that require statutory interpretation?

Like questions that start with "This district follows the MPC, however these are the relevant statutes"?

I would be able to trade exams in pretty much every other subject ever.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:01 am

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote: My crim exam (100 MC questions) is basically all about nuances. :| You can know all the basic BLL but most questions are "what is the best/worst option", with no clear answer unless you spend 5 minutes reading Dressler while you do the question haha.
that sux...just memorize dressler, bro :shock: :arrow: :wink: :arrow: :D
Haha yeah, I'm trying. Its a bit annoying because I have to reconcile it with my professors own thoughts on the common law (he seems to generally prefer the MPC, but we still have to know both). The only good thing is everyone in my section feels the same way (that the exam is going to be ridiculous) and everyone is at least a little worried about what their grade is gonna be.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:06 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:09 am

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote: My crim exam (100 MC questions) is basically all about nuances. :| You can know all the basic BLL but most questions are "what is the best/worst option", with no clear answer unless you spend 5 minutes reading Dressler while you do the question haha.
that sux...just memorize dressler, bro :shock: :arrow: :wink: :arrow: :D
Haha yeah, I'm trying. Its a bit annoying because I have to reconcile it with my professors own thoughts on the common law (he seems to generally prefer the MPC, but we still have to know both). The only good thing is everyone in my section feels the same way (that the exam is going to be ridiculous) and everyone is at least a little worried about what their grade is gonna be.
I feel ya... studying for my last 2 exams today (maybe a little tomorrow)... then focusing on my first two for the bulk of the week.
my civ pro is open book and the teacher basically told us what to expect... I am now worried about grades b/c everyone will also know whats coming down the pike and I want to get that A! fuuuuuuuuck
I've said it a bunch in this topic, but pre-write your answers. Gonna be even easier know if you know what topics to expect. Pre-write all the rules for the topics that'll be on it, and make sure to include all the possible forks so as you write the rules on the exam, you can really quickly/easily spot the forks in the law in the fact pattern.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:19 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:26 am

Jsa725 wrote:
SportsFan wrote:
Jsa725 wrote: I feel ya... studying for my last 2 exams today (maybe a little tomorrow)... then focusing on my first two for the bulk of the week.
my civ pro is open book and the teacher basically told us what to expect... I am now worried about grades b/c everyone will also know whats coming down the pike and I want to get that A! fuuuuuuuuck
I've said it a bunch in this topic, but pre-write your answers. Gonna be even easier know if you know what topics to expect. Pre-write all the rules for the topics that'll be on it, and make sure to include all the possible forks so as you write the rules on the exam, you can really quickly/easily spot the forks in the law in the fact pattern.
haha... im retarded... my civ pro is closed book, have no idea why i wrote open! FML
Ah, that changes things a bit haha. My crim final is closed book too. :(

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:07 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:26 pm

soj wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Good point wrt mens rea. I guess I just mean that in terms of the major, top level bullet items we studied, complicity and conspiracy were the only ones that made me go "huh?" and have to think about what is being said. You might be able to have a nuanced discussion about the differences between knowing and reckless scienter requirements, but those don't strike me as odd as unilateral conspiracy or the Pinkerton rule. Maybe I'm alone in that, though.

gabewatch

Bronze

Post by gabewatch » Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:53 pm

Hey All I've heard a lot of good things about CALI lessons and as exams begin in 10 days and I've worked through supplements I'm looking to broaden my horizons. The thing is my school is one of the few that doesn't have a CALI subscription for some reason.

Anyone out there want to PM me their username and PW for some brief usage? I would be really grateful...

Raiden

Bronze

Post by Raiden » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:03 pm

Guys/Gals: gather around, I have to share a zen moment -

Trying to understand certain law => search cases that discuss the law in Lexis/Westlaw => understand law => profit.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 11:59 pm

Raiden wrote:Guys/Gals: gather around, I have to share a zen moment -

Trying to understand certain law => search cases that discuss the law in Lexis/Westlaw => understand law => profit.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
Try this also: re-read the actual case from that class session in your casebook. I'm not being sarcastic. The court will sometimes do a nice breakdown of the doctrine. It actually helped me grasp UCC 2-207 today. You realize you were kind of clueless the first time you read the case.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:05 am

Redamon1 wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
Try this also: re-read the actual case from that class session in your casebook. I'm not being sarcastic. The court will sometimes do a nice breakdown of the doctrine. It actually helped me grasp UCC 2-207 today. You realize you were kind of clueless the first time you read the case.
I don't do it often, but every time I've re-read a case, I've understood it SO MUCH BETTER. Problem is, IMO there are very few cases that you actually need to understand that well.

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:11 am

Today was the last day of my "general studying". Two days before my first final, and 2 days before each of the next, so I'm switching to (almost) exclusively prepping for the next exam. I feel pretty good about 2 classes, 1 could go either way, and the last (crim) everyone in my section knows is gonna be a shitshow.

Whole semester comes down to these next 2 weeks... CSWS.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:17 am

SportsFan wrote:Today was the last day of my "general studying". Two days before my first final, and 2 days before each of the next, so I'm switching to (almost) exclusively prepping for the next exam. I feel pretty good about 2 classes, 1 could go either way, and the last (crim) everyone in my section knows is gonna be a shitshow.

Whole semester comes down to these next 2 weeks... CSWS.
good luck my man, lucky to be done so much earlier then all of us. I still got like 12 days until my first final or something like that with a brutal 3 days in between each.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:47 am

Anyone have a conlaw outline that reflects nfib v. Sebelius changes?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:51 am

laxbrah420 wrote:Anyone have a conlaw outline that reflects nfib v. Sebelius changes?
<--- Would also be interested

Redamon1

Bronze

Post by Redamon1 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:32 am

SportsFan wrote:
Redamon1 wrote:

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.
I don't do it often, but every time I've re-read a case, I've understood it SO MUCH BETTER. Problem is, IMO there are very few cases that you actually need to understand that well.
I agree. I've only done this a few times per semester on the really complex issues.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:02 am

hibiki wrote:
soj wrote:
hibiki wrote:

Good point wrt mens rea. I guess I just mean that in terms of the major, top level bullet items we studied, complicity and conspiracy were the only ones that made me go "huh?" and have to think about what is being said. You might be able to have a nuanced discussion about the differences between knowing and reckless scienter requirements, but those don't strike me as odd as unilateral conspiracy or the Pinkerton rule. Maybe I'm alone in that, though.
We didn't do conspiracy but keeping accomplice shit straight is the only hard thing about crim I've found. Mpc, old cl, modern cl all entirely different with no real pattern dividing them except the understanding that mpc is obsessed with retributivism/punishin only culpable/and all culpable. I'd read the cases. Also not sure if you have the dresser casebook but the innocent instrumentality CB radio case is truly hilarious (like not even law school shit standard for humor but a story good enough to tell at a party...)

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Sun Apr 21, 2013 4:59 am

No more drinking for the semester :shock: :| :mrgreen:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”