OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS) Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
minnbills

Gold

Re: OFFICIAL 1L Exam Prep & Motivation Thread (CSWS)

Post by minnbills » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:32 pm

Just finished a proctored K PE. Thought it went pretty well. Traded a few multiple choice portion scores after the end, and I was on the high end so I'm feeling good about that.

My essay writing is getting better but my organization is still atrocious and it's holding me up.

I need to force myself to stick to some kind of organization structure that I can write an outline onto- and then go from there. Otherwise I end up going on and on about one portion of the prompt and not hitting all the issues I need to get to.

Anyone having a similar problem or have any strategies for dealing with it?

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:04 pm

A closed book civ pro exam? Sounds brutal

dietcoke0

Silver

Post by dietcoke0 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:09 pm

noleknight16 wrote:A closed book civ pro exam? Sounds brutal
Just what I went through. Not too bad though, checked my checklists when I got home, got everything right. Don't think I missed anything, however now exactly how eloquently I put it. Freer FTW though.

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:19 pm

can someone help me with this:

say at the time of suit there was diversity jurisdiction, but then the court dismisses one of the claims and the amount in controversy is no longer met. what happens?

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:21 pm

gaud wrote:can someone help me with this:

say at the time of suit there was diversity jurisdiction, but then the court dismisses one of the claims and the amount in controversy is no longer met. what happens?
Must be dismissed because the court doesn't have jurisdiction. Otherwise people would just include an illegitimate claim with their legitimate one to meet the amount in controversy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:22 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:

Must be dismissed because the court doesn't have jurisdiction. Otherwise people would just include an illegitimate claim with their legitimate one to meet the amount in controversy.

Aha! Thanks bro. That was driving me crazy.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm

I don't know- but I'd guess it stays unless someone tries to remove to state court or unless there is a 12(b)(1) motion.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:23 pm

1367 supplemental brah. Once you have it even if main claim that court had original jurisdiction over get dismissed it is up to court's discretion. 1367(c) has list of when the court "should" dismiss, but they don't have to.
dietcoke0 wrote: Just what I went through. Not too bad though, checked my checklists when I got home, got everything right. Don't think I missed anything, however now exactly how eloquently I put it. Freer FTW though.
It was rough, but I had a 1 page attack outline memorized that I just copied verbatim on a scratch paper before even opening the test, with the major rules next to the subject. Worked out OK, glad I did it because there were a few little things I added that I would have missed without a checklist. Strongly recommend it. Also Author Miller tapes helped.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:24 pm

InGoodFaith wrote: Must be dismissed because the court doesn't have jurisdiction. Otherwise people would just include an illegitimate claim with their legitimate one to meet the amount in controversy.
The requirement that first claim/amount be made in "good faith" protects against this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:35 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

minnbills

Gold

Post by minnbills » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Jsa725 wrote:any credited K's MC questions w/ answers floating around? i have siegels.
I can get you some, PM me your email

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 pm

minnbills wrote:
Jsa725 wrote:any credited K's MC questions w/ answers floating around? i have siegels.
I can get you some, PM me your email
I'd also appreciate it if you wouldn't mind. Will PM email

Gold

Post by 20130312 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:52 pm

Birdnals wrote:
InGoodFaith wrote: Must be dismissed because the court doesn't have jurisdiction. Otherwise people would just include an illegitimate claim with their legitimate one to meet the amount in controversy.
The requirement that first claim/amount be made in "good faith" protects against this.
How did I miss this? :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:53 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
:lol: pun was not intended, but good catch

gaud

Platinum

Post by gaud » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:55 pm

InGoodFaith wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
:lol:

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:56 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:20 pm

Hey team. Only clocked in ~1200 words in an hour. Got 80% of the issues, though. Found a few spots where I could have argued more. Overall, pretty happy. Keep plugging.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:43 pm

LetsGoLAW wrote:Hey team. Only clocked in ~1200 words in an hour. Got 80% of the issues, though. Found a few spots where I could have argued more. Overall, pretty happy. Keep plugging.
How do you know how many issues you are getting do you have model answers for all your questions. Sorry if you answered this before.

llachans

Silver

Post by llachans » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:51 pm

First exam is Monday. How are you guys dividing up your time in the three day cram period before exams?

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:59 pm

Anyone else have trouble with time? I feel like I can spot the issues, and I have the analysis down. The problem is I am a pretty slow typer and run out of time. Any suggestions? CSWS!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:01 pm

Just did a full torts practice exam (well, took the 2 hours 45 minutes that she allocates for the questions but didn't use the extra 45 minutes my professor gives us to 'review' or revise our answers and w/e), and feel pretty good about is, especially since I've always thought torts is my weakest subject. Did a good job spotting the issues and deciding what law to apply, which has been my biggest problem in torts. Also think I did a decent job arguing policy, but need to still get better. I think my biggest improvement will come by actually memorizing the law (its closed book so I REALLY need to do that ASAP) and spotting the issues more quickly.
Robert Paulson wrote:Anyone else have trouble with time? I feel like I can spot the issues, and I have the analysis down. The problem is I am a pretty slow typer and run out of time. Any suggestions? CSWS!
How long does it take you to spot the issues and outline and w/e? And how many words words do you end up typing per hour?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Robert Paulson

Bronze

Post by Robert Paulson » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:06 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:Anyone else have trouble with time? I feel like I can spot the issues, and I have the analysis down. The problem is I am a pretty slow typer and run out of time. Any suggestions? CSWS!
How long does it take you to spot the issues and outline and w/e? And how many words words do you end up typing per hour?[/quote]

For an hour problem, I spend about 10 minutes reading and outlining. It took me an hour and a half to answer a one hour problem, and I wrote about 2500 words. I generally type around 40wpm :(

apollo2015

Bronze

Post by apollo2015 » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:16 pm

Did Contracts final yesterday. This was our only final worth 100% of our grade. That made it extra exhilarating. Unlike the cheerful mood everyone was in after our Torts exam, everyone seemed rather concerned by this one, and a bunch of people I spoke with said that they hadn't finished it. In line with my school's overly competitive reputation, no one left either of the finals early. MoFo fed us afterwards in an attempt to lure some engineering law students to work for them for 1L summer. This morning we did an e-mail reply race to try to get into the best Moot Court classes for next semester.

Now, onwards and forwards to the venue of Civil Procedure! It may have in rem jurisdiction over my books, but it will never have personal jurisdiction over my soul! CSWS!

SportsFan

Silver

Post by SportsFan » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:18 pm

Robert Paulson wrote:For an hour problem, I spend about 10 minutes reading and outlining. It took me an hour and a half to answer a one hour problem, and I wrote about 2500 words. I generally type around 40wpm :(
If you're typing 2500 words in an hour and a half, thats about 1600 an hour, which really isn't bad at all. I'd just try to get that 10 minutes down as much as possible, if you're concerned, but again, I don't think that 10 minutes to read/outline an hour long problem is bad at all. But if you can save 2-3 minutes there, it won't hurt.

LetsGoLAW

Bronze

Post by LetsGoLAW » Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Lacepiece23 wrote:
LetsGoLAW wrote:Hey team. Only clocked in ~1200 words in an hour. Got 80% of the issues, though. Found a few spots where I could have argued more. Overall, pretty happy. Keep plugging.
How do you know how many issues you are getting do you have model answers for all your questions. Sorry if you answered this before.
The professor wrote answers for each test. Not a student answer.

Edit: Plus, am I the only one who absolutely hates torts? I mean, my professor salivates over organization and writing, so I'm hoping that will pull me through.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”