Exam Headings Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
echooo23

Bronze

Exam Headings

Post by echooo23 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 am

At what point does one have too many headings? Main heading for each conflict pairing and subheading for each cause of action sound about right. But what about a subheading for defenses? Or sub-subheadings for each element of a cause of action?

vanwinkle

Platinum

Re: Exam Headings

Post by vanwinkle » Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:04 am

Have you written a brief in LRW yet?

You can look at how you use headers in briefs as a way to estimate how to use them. Don't panic right now, I'm not telling you that you need to follow the LRW writing format for your exams; I'm just saying that writing briefs will give you a sense of how to organize information and where to put headers, and you can use that knowledge when organizing your exam answers.

The real answer is "it depends on the particular exam question/format". Some professors will ask a single "please describe the liabilities of all parties" question and you'll find several layers of headers useful in organizing your single long answer. Other profs will give you a bunch of questions with shorter answers, and those won't require more than just headers and maybe one layer of subheaders.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:56 pm

I think, on a typical under-the-gun timed exam, any headings that make clear what you are going to discuss are fine.

Thinking back to how I did it, outline your answers before you begin furiously typing (see 8 Secrets to Top law school exam performance, Prof. Whitebread).

The outline of your answer provides your headings.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Better to have too many than to have your exam look like a wall of text.

echooo23

Bronze

Post by echooo23 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:50 am

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”