Civ Pro E&E -Cover to Cover, or by Class Syllabus? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
victortsoi

Bronze

Civ Pro E&E -Cover to Cover, or by Class Syllabus?

Post by victortsoi » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:00 pm

So I'm using the Civpro E&E, but my syllabus is organized completely differently from the E&E (for ex, we start with pleadings and then joinder then discovery..)
It seems pretty obvious to just jump around the E&E along with my syllabus but in many places the E&E will refer back to what was previously discussed. Just ignore and focus on the main point? Or cover to cover? Thanks guys.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Re: Civ Pro E&E -Cover to Cover, or by Class Syllabus?

Post by LazinessPerSe » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:52 pm

I'm not sure if this is a serious question. Of course you go by the syllabus of your class. You shouldn't even attempt to teach yourself personal jurisdiction / SMJ / removal / Erie as a 3-week old 1L. Stay with your professor - don't go ahead or fall behind.

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:38 pm

Edit: Nvmd, I was wrong.
Last edited by Gorki on Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 12:40 pm

By syllabus. reinforce what you are learning. but it depends on your learning style.

LazinessPerSe

Bronze

Post by LazinessPerSe » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:46 pm

Gorki wrote:
victortsoi wrote:So I'm using the Civpro E&E, but my syllabus is organized completely differently from the E&E (for ex, we start with pleadings and then joinder then discovery..)
It seems pretty obvious to just jump around the E&E along with my syllabus but in many places the E&E will refer back to what was previously discussed. Just ignore and focus on the main point? Or cover to cover? Thanks guys.

IIRC the Civ Pro E&E will guarantee you get bottom 1/3 in Civ Pro. It is out of date and does not cover key developments in Civ Pro over the past 10 years.
This is false, false, false. It is up to date through about 2010. You'll be missing minor changes to Amendments and some Pleadings stuff, but 10 years is a bit of a stretch and it's the best supplement for Civ Pro despite it's age.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:09 pm

Gorki wrote:
victortsoi wrote:So I'm using the Civpro E&E, but my syllabus is organized completely differently from the E&E (for ex, we start with pleadings and then joinder then discovery..)

IIRC the Civ Pro E&E will guarantee you get bottom 1/3 in Civ Pro. It is out of date and does not cover key developments in Civ Pro over the past 10 years.
This is false. The CivPro E&E was just revised when the Federal Rules were amended in 2010. It is a good supplement.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:04 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:
Gorki wrote:

This is false. The CivPro E&E was just revised when the Federal Rules were amended in 2010. It is a good supplement.
Really? The website says it was last revised in 2008 (I'm assuming we're talking about the Glannon one.) I have an old copy, circa 2005 or so, which seems very helpful - is it worth getting a newer edition, or should I stick with the one I have?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:43 pm

The most recent Glannon E&E for Civ Pro (6th ed.) is through 2008. Online though there is a new updated chapter on Personal Jurisdiction, along with 2 other chapters, written as of June 2012. The new personal jurisdiction chapter takes into account McIntyre v. Nicastro and Goodyear v. Brown from 2011.

No13baby

Bronze

Post by No13baby » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:53 pm

stillwater wrote:The most recent Glannon E&E for Civ Pro (6th ed.) is through 2008. Online though there is a new updated chapter on Personal Jurisdiction, along with 2 other chapters, written as of June 2012. The new personal jurisdiction chapter takes into account McIntyre v. Nicastro and Goodyear v. Brown from 2011.
Awesome, thank you! I think I will get it then.

anozira

New

Post by anozira » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:19 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”