Couple questions about what to focus on in readings Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ThreeRivers

Silver

Couple questions about what to focus on in readings

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 pm

I feel like I am abusing this forum, but it has been such an invaluable tool for me thus far that I’m going to continue to use it..

A couple of questions about the readings…

There have been an increasing amount of cases in which I find the facts, issues, rules, holding, and reasoning rather quickly and then the court continues to ramble on forever.. Once I find the above components would it likely be alright to just skim through the rest of the case to make sure I’m not missing anything, or should I continue to read the remainder of the case in as much detail?

Also what about the “notes and questions” sections? Are those important to read in detail? I generally have been skimming them / looking at some of the questions and such, but not really reading them that well. I know they have some components of the policy in them, but I’ve found thus far that policy ends up being 1 of the main elements of discussion in class and I am usually able to have a decent amount of notes with others.

I always hear how much faster the assignments will become, starting to wonder if its because I can learn to just focus on what is important / if I don’t have to pay as much attention to these sections.. or if I’d be missing out on something substantial

dingbat

Gold

Re: Couple questions about what to focus on in readings

Post by dingbat » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:18 pm

Don't skim over, you never know when there's an important nugget of information later on. Especially don't skip over the dissent

I read the notes & questions for the classes where it's appropriate (my property professor discusses it; for contracts I have a good understanding through work experience, so obviously I don't need it)

darkarmour

Bronze

Re: Couple questions about what to focus on in readings

Post by darkarmour » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 am

One more tip: usually the cases you are assigned are also accessible on Westlaw or Lexis, and those sites have good summaries of the important parts of the case. I highly recommend using your Westlaw/Lexis accounts to study efficiently.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”