Skipping Section Events Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
uvabro

Bronze

Skipping Section Events

Post by uvabro » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm

just wondering if anyone else has been having some stress with skipping some section events. i'm really friendly, get along with and really like everyone in my section. the issue is a lot of things like singing and dancing events and baseball are just things i just don't see as great time investments. i'm busy with law school, am involved in some out of law school curricula's to keep my sanity and when i have a free hour like going to the gym after sitting all day (and baseball isn't a real workout). i'm concerned some of my section mates see me as a gunner or disinterested in their friendship, but this just isn't accurate. any tips? i just have 2 free hours a day max, and like having 1 hour at the gym and sometimes an hour to myself.

ninereal

New

Re: Skipping Section Events

Post by ninereal » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:35 pm

do whatever you want man, who gives a shit

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:41 pm

uvabro wrote:just wondering if anyone else has been having some stress with skipping some section events. i'm really friendly, get along with and really like everyone in my section. the issue is a lot of things like singing and dancing events and baseball are just things i just don't see as great time investments. i'm busy with law school, am involved in some out of law school curricula's to keep my sanity and when i have a free hour like going to the gym after sitting all day (and baseball isn't a real workout). i'm concerned some of my section mates see me as a gunner or disinterested in their friendship, but this just isn't accurate. any tips? i just have 2 free hours a day max, and like having 1 hour at the gym and sometimes an hour to myself.
Go to the events that are at cheap happy hours, or where booze is supplied for free... or free food if booze is not your thing. These events died off quickly at my school. By the middle of October at my school these types of events were more or less groups of 5-10 people going out for lunch and that is about it.

I was more into striking up short conversations in the halls. I only went to 3 section-wide events all year, and only then because of free goodies... People won't give a shit that you are busy and have a busy life outside of LS, and if they do then I would not want them as my friends anyway.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:53 pm

ninereal wrote:do whatever you want man, who gives a shit

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:56 pm

LeDique wrote:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSATNightmares

Silver

Post by LSATNightmares » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:56 am

So, I was one of the "gunner types," I guess, who didn't socialize a lot. We didn't have section events; just bar review events where I was too tired on Thursday night to hang out at 9 PM far from where I actually live. For me, not socializing was fine, as I plan to live on the opposite coast where none of my classmates will probably end up. If you plan on staying in the area, networking and reputation will count for a lot more. Also, just know that if you don't do that social events, you won't exactly end up with a close group of friends. I am married and older, so lacking those close friends doesn't affect me as much. But just know that cliques will form, and although people will always be nice, you may not end up on the "inside." But that trade off may be okay if you need very high grades for whatever career you want to pursue.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:07 am

I would advise socializing at the start of the semester just to avoid burning out at the end.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:41 am

ph14 wrote:
LeDique wrote:

noleknight16

Silver

Post by noleknight16 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:58 am

I'm not really socializing much either. I guess you could say I'm "gunning" but I'm silent in class and sit in the back area. When I don't study I'm working out, playing COD, or just surfing the web. I did join the Law School IM Flag Football team though. My hometown (where I plan on moving back to after law school) is two hours from my school and I have a really close knit group of friends there that have been together since Kindergarten. So I will be going home sometimes on weekends, and when I'm here I'm doing what I should be to get good grades.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm

noleknight16 wrote:I'm not really socializing much either. I guess you could say I'm "gunning" but I'm silent in class and sit in the back area. When I don't study I'm working out, playing COD, or just surfing the web. I did join the Law School IM Flag Football team though. My hometown (where I plan on moving back to after law school) is two hours from my school and I have a really close knit group of friends there that have been together since Kindergarten. So I will be going home sometimes on weekends, and when I'm here I'm doing what I should be to get good grades.
Really the only reason you network with your section is to build lasting ties post-grad. This can easily be done if your active in your hometown. Is anyone in your family involved in Chamber of Commerce or other professional groups in your hometown? If so, see if they would let you go with to a meeting. Tell the members of the organization that you are a law student and plan on coming back to the area b/c you grew up there and love it (these groups like knowing young folks are still interested in the community)... These are the types of people you want to meet and know you in a good way.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I'd you're happy drinking alone, own it.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:26 pm

uvabro wrote:just wondering if anyone else has been having some stress with skipping some section events. i'm really friendly, get along with and really like everyone in my section. the issue is a lot of things like singing and dancing events and baseball are just things i just don't see as great time investments. i'm busy with law school, am involved in some out of law school curricula's to keep my sanity and when i have a free hour like going to the gym after sitting all day (and baseball isn't a real workout). i'm concerned some of my section mates see me as a gunner or disinterested in their friendship, but this just isn't accurate. any tips? i just have 2 free hours a day max, and like having 1 hour at the gym and sometimes an hour to myself.
Stop complaining and just go to dandelion

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”