Dropped out of a T14 law school, ask me anything Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
emkay625

Gold

Re: Dropped out of a T14 law school, ask me anything

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:02 am

questions:

Advice for 1Ls other than don't go?
what would you say NOT to do as far as studying goes?

T14dropout

New

Post by T14dropout » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:15 am

emkay625 wrote:questions:

Advice for 1Ls other than don't go?
what would you say NOT to do as far as studying goes?
I had a post a couple pages back with some relatively commonsense advice. I'm probably not the best person to ask for advice/studying tips, seeing as I bombed 1L.

But I would definitely get started on your outlines early. Conventional TLS wisdom says to not start your outlines for awhile so you can "see the big picture," but all that did for me was give me a reason to procrastinate. I ended up not starting my outlines in fall semester until like 2 weeks before my first exam, and my grades reflected that. If I could do it again, I would start my outlines after the first week of class and continually update/revise/tweak them as the semester progressed.

Basically don't procrastinate and backload/cram your studying into the few days prior to the exam. The sooner you get your outlines in exam-ready shape, the sooner you can begin doing practice tests + seeing where your weaknesses are (when you compare your answers to the model answers).

Oh, and don't goof off on the computer/procrastinate when you're supposed to be studying. I had a lot of late nights/nights with very little sleep because I just kept procrastinating and procrastinating. It's a double whammy because not only do you not fully understand the material you're supposed to be reading in a short period of time, but you're going to be tired and miss stuff the next day in class.

And obviously don't skip class. This is no longer undergrad. The teachers (typically) don't teach out of the book, and the stuff on the exams will be from lecture. Getting notes from a classmate only give you a glimpse into what you missed.

chem

Silver

Post by chem » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:25 am

With that bio major, were you looking at IP? As an incoming 1L, I know I have to get good grades, but I like to think there is a little bit of cushion with the patent bar. Just curious if you were IP and still concluded that all was lost

sd5289

Gold

Post by sd5289 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:53 am

No questions really, but just commenting to thank OP for the thread. Good read for anyone really (either in LS or considering it), and it's clear that OP has developed a certain level of self-reflection that seems to allude some LS students (read: the "douches"). The ability to admit a mistake is a valuable one, and publicizing it in order to give others who may be in a similar situation some insight is also very valuable. It's too bad LS didn't work out for you OP; there need to be more people like you in the profession and less of the "how does it feel to be truly fucked?" types. Good luck in whatever you do!

T14dropout

New

Post by T14dropout » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:40 am

I actually wasn't looking at IP. Even if I had been going for IP though, my grades were probably low enough to get me a ding

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

eveningLS15

New

Post by eveningLS15 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:42 pm

This is a helpful post. I finished 1L and thinking about dropping out. I'm still debating it. When I did a poll on TLS, the majority of ppl thinks that I should stay on. I have an engineering UG. I'm in a T-30 with 33% to 50% range GPA right now. Going to LS P/T. With 6 yrs of Work Experience so far.

I'm in LS for the potential Biglaw paycheck. However, after talking to other ppl who has worked in Biglaw and doing my own research, I realize Biglaw is not such a hot deal. You work 70-80 hours for 10 years. 10% change of making partner. Then work crazy hours for another 20+ years. One former prosecutor told me that his friend who is a partner at Dewey now needs to pay back some of his previous comp as part of bankrupcy settlement. IMO: WTF. I will be pissed if I have to regurgitate my previous paychecks.

Another thing is that many of us will not be considering dropping out if the economy is better. Have you thought about asking for a 1 year leave from the Dean? I'm thinking about asking for a leave. If the economy gets better, then I will stay on.

If you are interested in my situation: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll

T14dropout

New

Post by T14dropout » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:24 pm

eveningLS15 wrote:This is a helpful post. I finished 1L and thinking about dropping out. I'm still debating it. When I did a poll on TLS, the majority of ppl thinks that I should stay on. I have an engineering UG. I'm in a T-30 with 33% to 50% range GPA right now. Going to LS P/T. With 6 yrs of Work Experience so far.

I'm in LS for the potential Biglaw paycheck. However, after talking to other ppl who has worked in Biglaw and doing my own research, I realize Biglaw is not such a hot deal. You work 70-80 hours for 10 years. 10% change of making partner. Then work crazy hours for another 20+ years. One former prosecutor told me that his friend who is a partner at Dewey now needs to pay back some of his previous comp as part of bankrupcy settlement. IMO: WTF. I will be pissed if I have to regurgitate my previous paychecks.

Another thing is that many of us will not be considering dropping out if the economy is better. Have you thought about asking for a 1 year leave from the Dean? I'm thinking about asking for a leave. If the economy gets better, then I will stay on.

If you are interested in my situation: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... w=viewpoll
Somone can check me if I'm wrong, but slightly above median at a T-30 isn't going to get you biglaw.

You're in a much better situation than I am currently, in that you're bringing in a solid amount of money and have no debt. Unless you really hate your current job that much + think you would enjoy law working for similar/less pay, it seems like a relatively straightforward decision?

I briefly thought about asking for a 1 year leave, but quickly gave it up. I just really didn't want to be in LS anymore + my grades sucked.

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:48 pm

I had a rough first year as well, but big law was never my goal. It's easy to speculate before law school that you will be in the top 1% of your class...especially using your undergraduate experience as a guide. Law school, however, is a whole different animal. To say that law school is difficult is not quite as accurate as saying that it is murderers row. No matter where you study, you will be competing against very good-to-excellent students from all over the country.

I decided to stick it out because I didn't ever want to become a quitter. I just graduated last month and I'm glad that I stayed in school. That said, I'm not sure that I would go to law school if I could do it all over again. I would probably take a scholarship offer at a lower ranked school given the opportunity again. I'm glad that I have the legal training and skills that one gains in law school, but I am excited to work in finance and business again rather than law.

ajaxconstructions

Bronze

Post by ajaxconstructions » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:51 pm

mrman17 wrote:I had a rough first year as well, but big law was never my goal. It's easy to speculate before law school that you will be in the top 1% of your class...especially using your undergraduate experience as a guide. Law school, however, is a whole different animal. To say that law school is difficult is not quite as accurate as saying that it is murderers row. No matter where you study, you will be competing against very good-to-excellent students from all over the country.

I decided to stick it out because I didn't ever want to become a quitter. I just graduated last month and I'm glad that I stayed in school. That said, I'm not sure that I would go to law school if I could do it all over again. I would probably take a scholarship offer at a lower ranked school given the opportunity again. I'm glad that I have the legal training and skills that one gains in law school, but I am excited to work in finance and business again rather than law.
Where do you work now? Finance and business with a law degree? Shouldn't you have just dropped out then?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mrman17

New

Post by mrman17 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:58 pm

ajaxconstructions wrote:
mrman17 wrote:I had a rough first year as well, but big law was never my goal. It's easy to speculate before law school that you will be in the top 1% of your class...especially using your undergraduate experience as a guide. Law school, however, is a whole different animal. To say that law school is difficult is not quite as accurate as saying that it is murderers row. No matter where you study, you will be competing against very good-to-excellent students from all over the country.

Where do you work now? Finance and business with a law degree? Shouldn't you have just dropped out then?

I'm studying for the Bar right now. I plan on eventually getting an MBA, CPA, or CFA and working as a financial analyst. A J.D. alone might be close to worthless in this job market, but combined with other credentials can be pretty useful.

I started school during the midst of the great recession, and my industry was struck particularly hard. If I had dropped out what could I have done? Stocked shelves at Target? No, dropping out wasn't really an attractive option.

(I used to work for Fidelity Investments as an Options trader)

marmot8

New

Post by marmot8 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:13 pm

mrman17 wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:

I'm studying for the Bar right now. I plan on eventually getting an MBA, CPA, or CFA and working as a financial analyst. A J.D. alone might be close to worthless in this job market, but combined with other credentials can be pretty useful.

I started school during the midst of the great recession, and my industry was struck particularly hard. If I had dropped out what could I have done? Stocked shelves at Target? No, dropping out wasn't really an attractive option.

Do you think your law school grades will matter when applying to these potential non-legal jobs?

superjohnnnn

New

Post by superjohnnnn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:27 pm

T14dropout wrote:
DBishops wrote:
T14dropout wrote:
fatduck wrote: interestingly, i'm pretty much the opposite of a stickler for online privacy, and i also have no idea why. i think i'm probably just a closet attention whore. if the inverse is true for you, that's probably a good thing.
Haha, well met. This whole thread could probably be seen as attention whoring, but I felt like doing it, so... YOLO?

also brb dinner, will continue to answer questions as long as this thread stays alive
Dinner at 6:44. I bet OP is at Berkeley.
Sneaky, sneaky!

Unfortunately, I got up at like 4 pm today so my meal times were all off.
probably not as a splitter. if not uva, and probably not duke, gtown.

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:00 pm

sd5289 wrote:No questions really, but just commenting to thank OP for the thread. Good read for anyone really (either in LS or considering it), and it's clear that OP has developed a certain level of self-reflection that seems to allude some LS students (read: the "douches"). The ability to admit a mistake is a valuable one, and publicizing it in order to give others who may be in a similar situation some insight is also very valuable. It's too bad LS didn't work out for you OP; there need to be more people like you in the profession and less of the "how does it feel to be truly fucked?" types. Good luck in whatever you do!
Good post. Honestly, as a OL, the number one factor that makes me question my desire to go to law school is the fear that law school will be full of the "'how does it feel to be truly fucked?' types," as you put it. TLS has done nothing but confirm this to me. The levels of arrogance and the lack of kindness or humor (outside of elaborate, lengthy attempts to insult the intelligence or worth of others) I've seen on here are unique for any of the Internet message boards I've ever intended (granted, I haven't attended them all). Everyone is just to quick to insult everyone else for absolutely no reason, with people often coming out of nowhere to bash someone like some have in this thread.

OP, I hope you aren't right and that all of the T14 law schools aren't full of obnoxious people, like you thought yours was. It's good to hear your perspective, though, because as others have said, there are a ton of perspectives that are woefully underrepresented on TLS, since there seems to be an overwhelmingly large herd mentality on here that has many people afraid to step out of line with the perceived mindset of TLS. I can understand the fear, though, since, as I said earlier, people will come out of nowhere and--unprovoked--insult you completely if you voice an opinion they do not like. I'm not sure when this became the face of TLS--or if it has always been that way--but it can be aggravating for me to sift through the countless bits of great information located on these boards (and countless great posters) when I often get so annoyed by the herd/macho-douche mentality that I have to sign off here.

Keep answering questions!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:08 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
sd5289 wrote:No questions really, but just commenting to thank OP for the thread. Good read for anyone really (either in LS or considering it), and it's clear that OP has developed a certain level of self-reflection that seems to allude some LS students (read: the "douches"). The ability to admit a mistake is a valuable one, and publicizing it in order to give others who may be in a similar situation some insight is also very valuable. It's too bad LS didn't work out for you OP; there need to be more people like you in the profession and less of the "how does it feel to be truly fucked?" types. Good luck in whatever you do!
Good post. Honestly, as a OL, the number one factor that makes me question my desire to go to law school is the fear that law school will be full of the "'how does it feel to be truly fucked?' types," as you put it. TLS has done nothing but confirm this to me. The levels of arrogance and the lack of kindness or humor (outside of elaborate, lengthy attempts to insult the intelligence or worth of others) I've seen on here are unique for any of the Internet message boards I've ever intended (granted, I haven't attended them all). Everyone is just to quick to insult everyone else for absolutely no reason, with people often coming out of nowhere to bash someone like some have in this thread.

OP, I hope you aren't right and that all of the T14 law schools aren't full of obnoxious people, like you thought yours was. It's good to hear your perspective, though, because as others have said, there are a ton of perspectives that are woefully underrepresented on TLS, since there seems to be an overwhelmingly large herd mentality on here that has many people afraid to step out of line with the perceived mindset of TLS. I can understand the fear, though, since, as I said earlier, people will come out of nowhere and--unprovoked--insult you completely if you voice an opinion they do not like. I'm not sure when this became the face of TLS--or if it has always been that way--but it can be aggravating for me to sift through the countless bits of great information located on these boards (and countless great posters) when I often get so annoyed by the herd/macho-douche mentality that I have to sign off here.

From personal experience I would say you cannot assume the type of people you will be with with based off an anonymous message board. People on this site say things they would never say in real life because there are no real consequences. It's much easier to be an asshole online than in real life.

My experience has been very different than OP. I have made friends that I think will be friends for life and I think I go to school with some extraordinarily nice and caring people. Yes, sometimes the forced curves causes people to stress or freak out, but in general I enjoy the people I go to school with. That said, if I finished 1L under median there is no way I'd be back for 2L.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

Did you "quit" or were you dismissed, or on AP with fear of being dismissed?

Can you transfer any of those credits into any type of Masters degree to try to get at least some use out of it?

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:
the problem with TLSers (and law students, to some extent) isn't that that they are assholes, but that they aren't funny.

i wouldn't worry about it, though. you can do very well in law school without ever interacting with your classmates.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:11 pm

mrman17 wrote:
ajaxconstructions wrote:

an MBA is always useless. The CPA sounds solid though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Icculus wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

From personal experience I would say you cannot assume the type of people you will be with with based off an anonymous message board. People on this site say things they would never say in real life because there are no real consequences. It's much easier to be an asshole online than in real life.

My experience has been very different than OP. I have made friends that I think will be friends for life and I think I go to school with some extraordinarily nice and caring people. Yes, sometimes the forced curves causes people to stress or freak out, but in general I enjoy the people I go to school with. That said, if I finished 1L under median there is no way I'd be back for 2L.
you must never have met a lawyer in real life.

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:20 pm

Thanks for those trying to reassure me. I currently do work at a BigLaw firm (not as a lawyer, obviously), and most of the lawyers I interact with here aren't bad people, so you guys are probably right. Yes, I would agree a lot of people on here aren't very funny. To me, what sells a joke or humor isn't always just the joke, but also the person's attitude/persona. And when they come off as an elitist or as arrogant, then it's pretty hard to find them funny.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:21 pm

echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for those trying to reassure me. I currently do work at a BigLaw firm (not as a lawyer, obviously), and most of the lawyers I interact with here aren't bad people, so you guys are probably right. Yes, I would agree a lot of people on here aren't very funny. To me, what sells a joke or humor isn't always just the joke, but also the person's attitude/persona. And when they come off as an elitist or as arrogant, then it's pretty hard to find them funny.
better to be the worlds worst lawyer than the worlds best paralegal.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:22 pm

jurisx wrote:
Icculus wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:

you must never have met a lawyer in real life.
Yes, at 32 years old I have been so sheltered as to never have met a lawyer in real life. BTW I have four friends in Big Law in NYC, two in CA, (each of whom has been with his firm 6+ years), I have a family lawyer who is one of the most helpful and nicest people in the world, and have met several other lawyers who work in small practices, one of whom I have grown quite close with since we met. Now, I don't know what your point is, but speaking from actual life experience theere are assholes everywhere you go, and good people everywhere you go. I taught middle school for 5 years, there were people that I worked with that I wouldn't have pissed on if they were on fire because they were total asshole douche bags. I worked in finance for 4, same thing. So, unless you have a coherent point backed up with data as to how all lawyers are assholes, or you are actually someone with legitimate life experience unlike most 20 something idiots on here go bother someone else.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

echamberlin8

Bronze

Post by echamberlin8 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:23 pm

jurisx wrote:
echamberlin8 wrote:Thanks for those trying to reassure me. I currently do work at a BigLaw firm (not as a lawyer, obviously), and most of the lawyers I interact with here aren't bad people, so you guys are probably right. Yes, I would agree a lot of people on here aren't very funny. To me, what sells a joke or humor isn't always just the joke, but also the person's attitude/persona. And when they come off as an elitist or as arrogant, then it's pretty hard to find them funny.
better to be the worlds worst lawyer than the worlds best paralegal.
I suppose this is true.

Verity

Silver

Post by Verity » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:25 pm

What's the story with your loan (if you took any)? Aren't they immediately due? What's the game plan?

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:31 pm

Verity wrote:What's the story with your loan (if you took any)? Aren't they immediately due? What's the game plan?
you have that many posts and don't know this? No, they are not.

jurisx

Bronze

Post by jurisx » Wed Jun 20, 2012 2:32 pm

Icculus, it's funny how much you think you know. You make me laugh.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”