Something there is about Columbia that loves to suck Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Guchster

Silver

Re: Something there is about Columbia that loves to suck

Post by Guchster » Tue May 29, 2012 1:36 am

f7u12 wrote: except maybe 15-20 people really piss me off.
i'm going to round up to maybe 30

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Tue May 29, 2012 1:38 am

EdHoover wrote:So do not think less of me if I do not measure up to your metrics of success: "If I'm not so large as you,/You are not so small as I,/And not half so spry. . . Talents differ; [but] all is well and wisely put."

Dafuq did I just read?!

This is a pretty decent troll.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Tue May 29, 2012 10:43 pm

EdHoover wrote:
Magnificent wrote:It sounds like most of the people crying about Columbia are those that lost the law school game.
Oh, Magnifencent. You could not be more wrong. There is no way I could lose at this game: no one ever loses. But no one ever wins either, not entirely at any rate. We all ultimately end up in some indeterminate state between success and failure, as winners in some respects and failures in others. So do not think less of me if I do not measure up to your metrics of success: "If I'm not so large as you,/You are not so small as I,/And not half so spry. . . Talents differ; [but] all is well and wisely put."

Now, after reading this you are probably thinking, "Yeah, whatever. Law school didn't work out for this dude and he's now trying to rationalize his defeat." Again, you could not be more wrong. I didn't say that I don't measure up to your standards; all I said was that, were it the case that I didn't measure up, you still wouldn't have sufficient reason to mock me.

You should have been an English teacher
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:10 am

:shock:

I don't know how I found this thread. But now I'm scared.

patogordo

Gold

Post by patogordo » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:13 am

what ever happened to Magnificent? crushing it with his solo SCOTUS appellate practice yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:40 am

Columbia administration is meh at best and has been ritualistically disappointing - I'll grant OP so much - but the students are fine. The person who said Duke, UVA, Chicago, Michigan, Harvard ect have better QoL, nah, lol, unless you like small towns and bars that close early. At Columbia, the campus is gorgeous; the neighborhood pleasant with relatively easy access to more traditional city fun a few stops on the 1; people are friendly for the most part and interesting/accomplished - they take their shit seriously (sometimes too seriously), but that's why we are here; there's a ton of intellectually or professionally engaging activities, free food and ways to get involved, such as lunch talks, pro bono in the city, ect. And most importantly, people get great jobs, and in large numbers. The flaws (and of course, there are many) are surely more symptomatic of law school as a whole, and not this law school. Law school as an institution, as a concept, is pretty horrible. It's MO is to suck. Columbia is so much better than most.

ETA: we also have our share of wonderful brilliant profs, and terrible useless ones, and just total assholes. Maybe CLS attracts mildly more asshole profs than some schools, but most law professors across the discipline and the academy are problematic

phireblast

New

Post by phireblast » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:19 am

OP is pretty epic, I clapped my hands reading the first page. He ran circles around his classmates :lol:

TheSpanishMain

Gold

Post by TheSpanishMain » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:18 am

EdHoover wrote: Now, after reading this you are probably thinking, "Yeah, whatever. Law school didn't work out for this dude and he's now trying to rationalize his defeat." Again, you could not be more wrong. I didn't say that I don't measure up to your standards; all I said was that, were it the case that I didn't measure up, you still wouldn't have sufficient reason to mock me.
I'm actually thinking, "I bet this guy is super weird in person."

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:20 pm

jbagelboy wrote:Columbia administration is meh at best and has been ritualistically disappointing - I'll grant OP so much - but the students are fine. The person who said Duke, UVA, Chicago, Michigan, Harvard ect have better QoL, nah, lol, unless you like small towns and bars that close early. At Columbia, the campus is gorgeous; the neighborhood pleasant with relatively easy access to more traditional city fun a few stops on the 1; people are friendly for the most part and interesting/accomplished - they take their shit seriously (sometimes too seriously), but that's why we are here; there's a ton of intellectually or professionally engaging activities, free food and ways to get involved, such as lunch talks, pro bono in the city, ect. And most importantly, people get great jobs, and in large numbers. The flaws (and of course, there are many) are surely more symptomatic of law school as a whole, and not this law school. Law school as an institution, as a concept, is pretty horrible. It's MO is to suck. Columbia is so much better than most.

ETA: we also have our share of wonderful brilliant profs, and terrible useless ones, and just total assholes. Maybe CLS attracts mildly more asshole profs than some schools, but most law professors across the discipline and the academy are problematic
I sat down to write my "Fuck CLS" list but I couldn't come up with more than professors are assholes (true anywhere), the administration sucks (probably also true anywhere), and everything is way too fucking expensive (welcome to New York). It really doesn't make anything worse than a competitive law school has to be--if you're not happy here, you wouldn't be happy at Chicago, or Penn, or UVA, or Duke. The whole "CLS is uniquely full of cutthroat gunners" thing is absolute horseshit.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Silver

Post by 2807 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:28 pm

SilverE2 wrote:You write weird.
Hilarious
Awesome

smaug_

Gold

Post by smaug_ » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:29 pm

Ha ha this thread is a blast from the past.

If people are worried, they should come visit. I don't think we're that bad. I know I have a good time. I also hope that the administration stuff gets better with the new dean. It seems like some good changes have been made in Schizer's final year, though. (GSF increase/expansion, student org fee stuff, small improvements to JG)

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 pm

Guchster should come back to post.

girlmonster

Bronze

Post by girlmonster » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:39 pm

It's good to hear from the unhappy as well as the happy folks (because every school, workplace, etc. has both). At least this reaffirms my decision to bring my dog, so when classes end each day, I can bury my face in her fur and cry.

Also, I dig the way OP writes. OP, I would be your friend... if only we weren't so many years apart.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Mal Reynolds

Diamond

Post by Mal Reynolds » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:42 pm

girlmonster wrote:At least this reaffirms my decision to bring my dog, so when classes end each day, I can bury my face in her fur and cry.
This is TCR.

zhenders

Silver

Post by zhenders » Sun Feb 02, 2014 1:50 pm

Trying to correct the english syntax "something there is" is like telling Blackstone he should read a law text or something. Robert Frost kicked the English language's ass.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:56 pm

Monochromatic Oeuvre wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:Columbia administration is meh at best and has been ritualistically disappointing - I'll grant OP so much - but the students are fine. The person who said Duke, UVA, Chicago, Michigan, Harvard ect have better QoL, nah, lol, unless you like small towns and bars that close early. At Columbia, the campus is gorgeous; the neighborhood pleasant with relatively easy access to more traditional city fun a few stops on the 1; people are friendly for the most part and interesting/accomplished - they take their shit seriously (sometimes too seriously), but that's why we are here; there's a ton of intellectually or professionally engaging activities, free food and ways to get involved, such as lunch talks, pro bono in the city, ect. And most importantly, people get great jobs, and in large numbers. The flaws (and of course, there are many) are surely more symptomatic of law school as a whole, and not this law school. Law school as an institution, as a concept, is pretty horrible. It's MO is to suck. Columbia is so much better than most.

I sat down to write my "Fuck CLS" list but I couldn't come up with more than professors are assholes (true anywhere), the administration sucks (probably also true anywhere), and everything is way too fucking expensive (welcome to New York). It really doesn't make anything worse than a competitive law school has to be--if you're not happy here, you wouldn't be happy at Chicago, or Penn, or UVA, or Duke. The whole "CLS is uniquely full of cutthroat gunners" thing is absolute horseshit.
there is only one way to fix this, you learn to love and wake up everyday ready to gun.

Stanford4Me

Platinum

Post by Stanford4Me » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:37 am

Mal Reynolds wrote:Guchster should come back to post.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ratfukr

Gold

Post by ratfukr » Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:59 pm

jfc @ all the illiterates ITT who didn't catch that as mending wall immediately
who pays any attention 2 the syntax of things

Skump

New

Post by Skump » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:02 pm

CLS sounds precisely as pleasant as you would expect a law school filled with butt hurt Harvard rejects and preposterously egoistical, scandal-prone profs to be.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Feb 08, 2014 10:26 pm

Skump wrote:CLS sounds precisely as pleasant as you would expect a law school filled with butt hurt Harvard rejects and preposterously egoistical, scandal-prone profs to be.
Ouch.

Not really. Although the preposterously egotistical profs part has some merit in a few cases.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:01 am

Skump wrote:CLS sounds precisely as pleasant as you would expect a law school filled with butt hurt Harvard rejects and preposterously egoistical, scandal-prone profs to be.
Not that either of those accusations are untrue, but it's weird to attack a place for being egotistical while simultaneously attacking it for not being Harvard.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wiz

Diamond

Post by wiz » Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:04 am

Not that either of those accusations are untrue, but it's weird to attack a place for being egotistical while simultaneously attacking it for not being Harvard.
Not that I agree with what the bro said, but he called out the profs for being egotistical.

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:13 am

wiz wrote:
Not that I agree with what the bro said, but he called out the profs for being egotistical.
I was guessing it was a more general claim than saying that CLS profs are egotistical. The latter is sort of "duh", just like every law professors everywhere. Believing that $250k/yr for 30 hours a week with flexible schedules, summers off and lifetime protection is at all an adequate representation of the value a professor provides requires a pretty staggering ego.

Not sure what the "scandal-ridden" refers to. Only thing I can think of is fact that everyone seems to have a problem with a sixty-something guy marrying one of his students.

sublime

Diamond

Post by sublime » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:06 am

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Gold

Post by Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:26 am

sublime wrote:
Also, it really wouldn't surprise me if Columbia has the most, or close the most gunners out of any school as a result of their employment and salary out comes. May be (and probably is) a negligible difference in comparison to other top schools though.

Would I go there if I had the chance? Absofuckinglutely.
Seems like there would be more gunners at like a T2 or someplace where you abso-fucking-lutely have to finish top 10% or get lifepwned. No point in killing each other at a place where 80-85% who want Biglaw get it.

Of course, type A dudes are self-selecting into T14 anyway. You could spend three years at HLS smoking blunts daily and still be just fine, and yet people are still high-strung anyway.

Haven't heard of anything here that's uniquely crazy. Although I'm pulling all-nighters in February, so that's sort of weird.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”