Motivation needed for write on Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
wuduhel

New

Re: Motivation needed for write on

Post by wuduhel » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:18 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:What is spading? Cite checking?

Good post btw.

If anyone has questions about doing the bare minimum of the good faith effort required to not get kicked out of law review I can answer questions on that.
Please do tell.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:21 pm

wuduhel wrote:

Good post btw.

If anyone has questions about doing the bare minimum of the good faith effort required to not get kicked out of law review I can answer questions on that.
Please do tell.
+1

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:58 am

just got notice that the transfer write on competition will occur within the first 2 weeks of school. trying to debate if its worth it, since my gpa has decided to do a RETAKE and reapply.... damn, I really dont want to go through this all over again

ambiTTTTion

New

Post by ambiTTTTion » Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:01 pm

Invited to the secondary journal I was most interested in! The wait from the write-on was killing me. Just happy to have gotten on something as a transfer. Now on to moot court tryouts :roll:

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:28 pm

wuduhel wrote:

Good post btw.

Please do tell.
I was sort of joking but I'm bored right now so ill tell you how I coasted through-

1. If you can't find a cite after a reasonable amount of time looking, just give up.
2. If your partner has something different than you, just concede that they're right instead of wasting time double checking. (For double blind system)
3. Don't waste your time trying to rewrite the authors shit. Just fix typos and obvious bluebook errors. If you're changing and adding signals and shit like that on every single cite, you're doing it wrong.
4. If you're staying late every night, you're doing it wrong. The people who wanted editor positions were apparently the last ones to leave every cite check. Try to be the first
5. When it comes to your note, try to pick something interesting to you but if you're like me and don't think any legal scholarship is interesting just pick something that seems easy to write about
6. You can write your note the night before and still turn in something passable. Sure they might bitch at you but there are no real consequences
7. Make sure your bluebooking at least resembles proper bluebook format (it helps to avoid internet sources or obscure shit that might be hard to bluebook) and that you meet all the length requirements. But other than that it really doesn't matter how shitty it is
8. Check your journals byaws to see what it takes to kick you off or deny you credit. If your school has fairly lenient rules (at mine it required a 75% vote of ALL members) then throw that in the face of your notes editor if they threaten you over your note quality

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:36 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
wuduhel wrote:

Good post btw.

Please do tell.
I was sort of joking but I'm bored right now so ill tell you how I coasted through-

1. If you can't find a cite after a reasonable amount of time looking, just give up.
2. If your partner has something different than you, just concede that they're right instead of wasting time double checking. (For double blind system)
3. Don't waste your time trying to rewrite the authors shit. Just fix typos and obvious bluebook errors. If you're changing and adding signals and shit like that on every single cite, you're doing it wrong.
4. If you're staying late every night, you're doing it wrong. The people who wanted editor positions were apparently the last ones to leave every cite check. Try to be the first
5. When it comes to your note, try to pick something interesting to you but if you're like me and don't think any legal scholarship is interesting just pick something that seems easy to write about
6. You can write your note the night before and still turn in something passable. Sure they might bitch at you but there are no real consequences
7. Make sure your bluebooking at least resembles proper bluebook format (it helps to avoid internet sources or obscure shit that might be hard to bluebook) and that you meet all the length requirements. But other than that it really doesn't matter how shitty it is
8. Check your journals byaws to see what it takes to kick you off or deny you credit. If your school has fairly lenient rules (at mine it required a 75% vote of ALL members) then throw that in the face of your notes editor if they threaten you over your note quality
Also, pay for a subscription to the online Bluebook service. If my memory is correct, you can input a citation, and it will spit it back at you formatted correctly.

wuduhel

New

Post by wuduhel » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:36 pm

JazzOne wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:
wuduhel wrote:

Good post btw.

Please do tell.

Also, pay for a subscription to the online Bluebook service. If my memory is correct, you can input a citation, and it will spit it back at you formatted correctly.

What is this devilry you speak of?

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:25 pm

wuduhel wrote:What is this devilry you speak of?
https://www.legalbluebook.com/Purchase/Products.aspx

$32 for one year. That's a steal.

It also says something about entering the code from your Bluebook. I don't know what that's about. Maybe someone else can fill in the details.

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Mon Aug 20, 2012 12:34 pm

JazzOne wrote:

It also says something about entering the code from your Bluebook. I don't know what that's about. Maybe someone else can fill in the details.
They want to know where you bought your Bluebook so they can inform your law school what you're doing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:04 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

They want to know where you bought your Bluebook so they can inform your law school what you're doing.
Why? Unless his school forbids them from using the online Bluebook, he's not doing anything wrong. Many people at my school use the online version because 1) they don't have to lug it around, and 2) you can more easily find what you need by searching or clicking on a link to another rule.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:41 am

the online bluebook does not have a citation checker or any kind of auto-cite.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:38 am

wiseowl wrote:the online bluebook does not have a citation checker or any kind of auto-cite.
My mistake. Perhaps I'm confusing oneline Bluebook with WestlawNext. I know we used to get cites online though. There's no way I looked them all up in the physical book.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:39 am

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

They can inform God himself for all I care.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:33 pm

tstyler98 wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:
JazzOne wrote:

Why? Unless his school forbids them from using the online Bluebook, he's not doing anything wrong. Many people at my school use the online version because 1) they don't have to lug it around, and 2) you can more easily find what you need by searching or clicking on a link to another rule.
I really didn't want to end my post with a /jk because I was hoping people would be able to figure it out.

tstyler98

Bronze

Post by tstyler98 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:45 pm

Gamecubesupreme wrote:
tstyler98 wrote:
Gamecubesupreme wrote:
JazzOne wrote: https://www.legalbluebook.com/Purchase/Products.aspx

I really didn't want to end my post with a /jk because I was hoping people would be able to figure it out.
No problem. There's just a lot of posts on TLS where someone is saying the person should be turned in for doing something (usually rightfully so), so I thought maybe you thought s/he was doing something s/he shouldn't. It's so hard to read things online sometimes and know whether the person is being serious or just joking. :D

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:09 pm

LR was a bad fucking idea.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:55 pm

No journal no problems......

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:04 pm

Broseidon wrote:LR was a bad fucking idea.
Yea it's a ton of work, but the perks and the people make it worth it. I've met some cool people so far.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:28 pm

My authors have cited a single sentence to an entire treatise (~1200 pages) and use 2 explanatory footnotes (with no pincite). Am I expected to find exactly where this is said in the book (we need to tag on each source where the corresponding footnote is, in case that's not the norm)? If so I quit (semi-srs).

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:20 pm

Broseidon wrote:My authors have cited a single sentence to an entire treatise (~1200 pages) and use 2 explanatory footnotes (with no pincite). Am I expected to find exactly where this is said in the book (we need to tag on each source where the corresponding footnote is, in case that's not the norm)? If so I quit (semi-srs).
lol yes. if it's a quote you need a pincite. authors are horrible people.

Broseidon

Gold

Post by Broseidon » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:28 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Broseidon wrote:My authors have cited a single sentence to an entire treatise (~1200 pages) and use 2 explanatory footnotes (with no pincite). Am I expected to find exactly where this is said in the book (we need to tag on each source where the corresponding footnote is, in case that's not the norm)? If so I quit (semi-srs).
lol yes. if it's a quote you need a pincite. authors are horrible people.
What I'm referring to isn't a quote--it's the author explaining what was said in the book (kind of like a general summation). May just throw a see generally on it and call it a day. Though the issue of highlighting where the author got his assertion from may still be an issue.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sat Sep 15, 2012 1:39 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Yea it's a ton of work, but the perks and the people make it worth it. I've met some cool people so far.
LOL @ "the perks."

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:51 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
LOL @ "the perks."
Why lol? I don't think I've paid for breakfast or lunch this semester.

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:52 pm

LR free is the way to be!!!!

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Sep 15, 2012 7:54 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
LOL @ "the perks."
Why lol? I don't think I've paid for breakfast or lunch this semester.
Your LR sounds much better than mine, damn. I do get 50 cent diet cokes though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”