Defending Kiobel Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
delusional

Silver

Defending Kiobel

Post by delusional » Sun May 06, 2012 8:52 am

So I just had an exam in which the hypo involved defending an autocratic regime. It felt like a Lord of the Flies type scenario - they start you small on a exam hypo, and then maybe you research the Act of State doctrine on behalf of they Syrian regime as a SA, and then by the time you are a full time lawyer, you are all set to hold pig roasts and defend genocide on procedural grounds. Is there any alternative? If you're a lawyer working for Quinn Emanuel, can you just say "I'll work on the Motorola stuff, thank you very much?"

NYC2014

Bronze

Re: Defending Kiobel

Post by NYC2014 » Sun May 06, 2012 9:45 am

Everyone deserves legal representation; that includes child rapists, murderers, and terrorists. Someone has to be the one to do it.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun May 06, 2012 1:43 pm

NYC2014 wrote:Everyone deserves legal representation; that includes child rapists, murderers, and terrorists. Someone has to be the one to do it.
Not everyone is the same in that regard. And not every defense is the same either. Furthermore, saying that someone has to be the one to do it is not the same as saying that I have to be the one to do it. In this case, there was a modern corporation basically committing genocide. For all that procedure is necessary to protect people and the system, they don't even seem to care about that. They're like, "Yeah, we did it, but it's not actionable in American courts." Maybe someone should defend them. Maybe it should be the public defender.

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun May 06, 2012 1:56 pm

delusional wrote:So I just had an exam in which the hypo involved defending an autocratic regime. It felt like a Lord of the Flies type scenario - they start you small on a exam hypo, and then maybe you research the Act of State doctrine on behalf of they Syrian regime as a SA, and then by the time you are a full time lawyer, you are all set to hold pig roasts and defend genocide on procedural grounds. Is there any alternative? If you're a lawyer working for Quinn Emanuel, can you just say "I'll work on the Motorola stuff, thank you very much?"
Work corporate lit, where it's just one faceless corporation trying to screw another.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sun May 06, 2012 2:01 pm

Companies are going to get away with doing whatever they want because no court is going to hear it after SCOTUS rules on this. I did my moot court on this case, I know way more about it than I ever wanted to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun May 06, 2012 2:04 pm

Holy shit I'd love to work for Syria, if only so I can meet Asma al-Assad.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Mon May 07, 2012 8:44 am

Maniac-stopping is the realm of politics with guns. Applying bounded law is the job of lawyers.

In other words, the CIA should have got to them first.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”