Property Book is poor -> Making outline from supplement? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sirius

New

Property Book is poor -> Making outline from supplement?

Post by Sirius » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:47 pm

We are using the Property CaseBook written by LexisNexis and it is terrible. I have been doing a lot of my outlining from the supplement "understand property" and have been updating it throughout the semester.

I did not do this for any classes last fall but is doing this completely out of the norm?

jess

Re: Property Book is poor -> Making outline from supplement?

Post by jess » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:46 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Villanova3

New

Post by Villanova3 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:43 am

Sirius wrote:We are using the Property CaseBook written by LexisNexis and it is terrible. I have been doing a lot of my outlining from the supplement "understand property" and have been updating it throughout the semester.

I did not do this for any classes last fall but is doing this completely out of the norm?

What book is this..?

skw

Bronze

Post by skw » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:47 am

I am doing exactly the same thing with UP, but my prof is using the Wolters Kluwer/Dukeminier casebook. It is AWFUL (but then, property is awful in general). I did the same thing for my Crim Law last semester with Understanding Crim Law and got an A, so I'm hoping it works for Property too. I couldn't come up with any other way to wrap my head around the material and UP is in-line with everything my Prof says and what we're pulling from the cases.

ak362

Bronze

Post by ak362 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:50 am

Sirius wrote:We are using the Property CaseBook written by LexisNexis and it is terrible. I have been doing a lot of my outlining from the supplement "understand property" and have been updating it throughout the semester.

Is this the book by Burke et al.? You might want to consider using the Property E&E and the Real Estate E&E, depending on what your professor covers. (Burke wrote both, though the Property E&E had a co-author. I only suggest the Real Estate E&E because it will cover things like race/notice jurisdictions, covenants and warranties, etc. much better than the Property E&E does -- if it does at all) The Property E&E will distill what you need to know in more simple terms, while generally covering the same material.

Unless you have one of the authors for your property class, I can see how the textbook might not make much sense. I had Burke for Property -- and the way he taught the class and utilized the casebook made sense, though we did a lot of jumping around.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”