Law and Economics help! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chadbrochill69

New

Law and Economics help!

Post by chadbrochill69 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 1:49 pm

So they told us that "no economics experience was necessary" to do well in this Law & Econ course. Well....I feel like I'm the only one in the class who has no idea whats going on. I was a supplement junkie last semester and did very well but I can't find anything good for law and econ. Anybody have any ideas?

jkech

New

Re: Law and Economics help!

Post by jkech » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:25 pm

read Economics of Justice by Posner or any number of his smaller law review articles from early on in his career (maybe late 70s to mid 80s). The Becker/Posner blog is a good start at reading short things where u can see this kind of reasoning applied.

you don't have to buy a supplement and understand economics other than supply and demand basics to get the points that law/econ scholars are making.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:57 pm

jkech wrote:read Economics of Justice by Posner or any number of his smaller law review articles from early on in his career (maybe late 70s to mid 80s). The Becker/Posner blog is a good start at reading short things where u can see this kind of reasoning applied.

you don't have to buy a supplement and understand economics other than supply and demand basics to get the points that law/econ scholars are making.
I think a lot of law and econ is actually game theory based. I took a class in it once that was ostensibly for "everybody" as well, but probably at least 1/2 of the class had a background in econ, much like when I signed up for a law and history class, just about everybody had a background in history.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:10 pm

Law and Economics in a Nutshell - Jeffrey Harrison

found this in the library so I didn't have to buy something else. found it super helpful because i couldn't grasp even the basic shit about economics

ExAnt3

New

Post by ExAnt3 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:47 am

Any chance you're at CLS?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:05 am

I can try to lead you to the right information. A few questions:

Does the professor teach from a positive (judicial behavior/public choice/attempting to predict trends in law) or a normative angle (figuring out the best policy/Posner approach)?

Is more underlying theory taught (Calabresi, Melamed, Coase, etc.) or practical drivers (carrots, sticks, empirics, max and min)?

deebs

Bronze

Post by deebs » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_profit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_competition

compare and contrast,
didn't read either article, but they have graphs that should help

edit: woops, thought you needed it for an antitrust class

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?