Forfeiture Question Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Forfeiture Question

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:27 pm

O to A for life, then to B for life, then to C for life.

A quitclaims to O. What does B have?

B is convicted for killing C. What does O have?

I'm confused about rules of forfeiture.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Re: Forfeiture Question

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:10 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:O to A for life, then to B for life, then to C for life.

Ill try, but I didn't refresh my memory on this, so if I'm wrong, let's hear it. I'm assuming these were meant to be read in sequence.

A quitclaims to O. What does B have? B has a life estate that begins when A dies.

B is convicted for killing C. What does O have? A reversionary interest in fee simple that begins upon the death of B. Bs murder of C doesn't benefit B vis-a-vis the life estate, so he doesn't forfeit the life estate. But had C murdered B, he would forfeit his life estate as his crime benefited him by giving him a possessory interest sooner than he would have without the murder.

Is this law?

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:32 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:O to A for life, then to B for life, then to C for life.

1. B has a contingent remainder in a life estate (contingent on B outliving A). If I recall correctly, when outliving the predecessor-in-interest is the only condition, it can also just be considered a vested remainder.

2. O has a life estate pur autre vie measured by A's life (which is what he had after the quitclaim). When A dies (assuming B is alive), O will have a reversion in fee simple absolute. If B dies while A is still living, O just has a fee simple absolute.

As the above poster correctly pointed out, B doesn't forfeit his interest in the estate just because he murdered someone who wasn't going to take until he died anyway...

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:08 pm

nymario wrote:

1. B has a contingent remainder in a life estate (contingent on B outliving A). If I recall correctly, when outliving the predecessor-in-interest is the only condition, it can also just be considered a vested remainder.

2. O has a life estate pur autre vie measured by A's life (which is what he had after the quitclaim). When A dies (assuming B is alive), O will have a reversion in fee simple absolute. If B dies while A is still living, O just has a fee simple absolute.

As the above poster correctly pointed out, B doesn't forfeit his interest in the estate just because he murdered someone who wasn't going to take until he died anyway...
But doesn't A's quitclaim to O just put everything back in to O as fee simple absolute, thus destroying contingent remainders?

My property class is a strange animal, and this is how we would have approached the problem, but that doesn't mean it bears relation to how others may handle it...

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:28 pm

A can only quitclaim the interest it has - the life estate. A's quitclaim doesn't impact B and C's contingent remainders in a life estate.

A could have quit claimed to D and the result would have been the same - B would have a contingent remainder in a life estate (contingent on outliving A).

I aced property back in the day, but I'm not up on my terminology (or the bullshit rules) as much as I was the night before the exam when I crammed it all in there. I found the rules elegant and non-intuitive, strangely satisfying to figure out. Obviously, I've lost my touch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”