Brief in 48 hours. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Diamond

Re: Brief in 48 hours.

Post by 09042014 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:19 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Assuming this is kosher with your honor code or the nature of the assignment - most briefs are based on real conflicts currently pending before the Supreme Court, if you can find the case it is modeled after on westlaw, you should be able to pull up the party briefs and mine them for sources as a shortcut to researching all the issues.
This is against the honor code at most schools.
Good research is against the honor code?!?

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:29 am

Desert Fox wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Assuming this is kosher with your honor code or the nature of the assignment - most briefs are based on real conflicts currently pending before the Supreme Court, if you can find the case it is modeled after on westlaw, you should be able to pull up the party briefs and mine them for sources as a shortcut to researching all the issues.
Yes. at least in my school, we can't pull briefs for similar cases from Westlaw or Lexis. You can't even do a google keyword search.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:34 am

truevines wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
Yes. at least in my school, we can't pull briefs for similar cases from Westlaw or Lexis. You can't even do a google keyword search.
Punish people for using directly on point case law. HIGH FIVE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:49 am

Isn't the whole point of legal writing to copy, paste, and cite people smarter than you? Oh, you made a creative and well reasoned argument? . . . C- ; Oh, you made an unsophisticated argument and cited to the First Circuit, A-!

merc280

Silver

Post by merc280 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:34 am

Cupidity wrote:Isn't the whole point of legal writing to copy, paste, and cite people smarter than you? Oh, you made a creative and well reasoned argument? . . . C- ; Oh, you made an unsophisticated argument and cited to the First Circuit, A-!

well isn't that the whole point of the brief though, to use multiple sources and combine bits and pieces of them to join together and support your argument? our LRW class had a brief writer from the DA's office come and tell us that we're lawyers and not expected to come up with fresh material, just find material smart people have written.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:52 am

merc280 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Isn't the whole point of legal writing to copy, paste, and cite people smarter than you? Oh, you made a creative and well reasoned argument? . . . C- ; Oh, you made an unsophisticated argument and cited to the First Circuit, A-!

well isn't that the whole point of the brief though, to use multiple sources and combine bits and pieces of them to join together and support your argument? our LRW class had a brief writer from the DA's office come and tell us that we're lawyers and not expected to come up with fresh material, just find material smart people have written.
You must have missed the sarcasm somewhere, we are mocking the fact that schools have honor codes that handicap legal research instead of promoting it.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:22 am

Just finished a 48 hour brief, feels great. It's probably complete and utter crap, but that's a May problem.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:10 am

OP, did you finish?

NeighborGuy

Bronze

Post by NeighborGuy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:39 am

crossarmant wrote: How I imagine LRW grading goes:
--ImageRemoved--
:lol: That was the funniest goddamn thing I've seen in days. Thank you for that, sir.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Villanova3

New

Post by Villanova3 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 4:29 am

shepdawg wrote:OP, did you finish?

Almost finished. Need to do citation still. Have five hours left!

Villanova3

New

Post by Villanova3 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:55 am

Finished! At 5:56 am, with two hours left to spare!

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:34 am

NeighborGuy wrote:
crossarmant wrote: How I imagine LRW grading goes:
--ImageRemoved--
:lol: That was the funniest goddamn thing I've seen in days. Thank you for that, sir.
I agree. That was hilarious. And probably accurate.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”