What is up with this semester?! Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bio822

New

Re: What is up with this semester?!

Post by bio822 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:02 pm

for me, the worst part about law school is the fact that you can bust your butt for 3 years and not find a job. I can suck up the monotonous work and the BS, but the whole idea that I could come out of all this sacrifice and have nothing to show for it is terrifying.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:34 pm

bio822 wrote:for me, the worst part about law school is the fact that you can bust your butt for 3 years and not find a job. I can suck up the monotonous work and the BS, but the whole idea that I could come out of all this sacrifice and have nothing to show for it is terrifying.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:52 pm

bio822 wrote:for me, the worst part about law school is the fact that you can bust your butt for 3 years and not find a job. I can suck up the monotonous work and the BS, but the whole idea that I could come out of all this sacrifice and have nothing to show for it is terrifying.
Shift this back to undergrad, high school, elementary school, BIRTH even, and you've hit the nail on the head.

J-e-L-L-o

Bronze

Post by J-e-L-L-o » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:00 pm

portaprokoss wrote:
Flanker1067 wrote:I don't know if that quote has to do with what it's worth, so much as its character.
. . . but that's where I want to take the conversation. What's its worth? What value is there in the study of law. Globally, of course, we need lawyers and law in a society. But is the law even tangentially connected to the summum bonum? Is it a noble profession? Why should an individual pour their talent and energy into it?

I think someone was a philosophy major undergrad...

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:03 pm

Stop getting cunty.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:08 pm

For the majority below the T13, the odds of finding a job which will allow you to pay down your debt are vastly stacked against you.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:18 am

MTal wrote:For the majority below the T13, the odds of finding a job which will allow you to pay down your debt are vastly stacked against you.
This is the forum for the law school students. We are aware we are screwed. Please go peddle your doom and gloom to the 0Ls.

Sapientia

Bronze

Post by Sapientia » Sat Feb 25, 2012 4:07 am

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:07 am

MTal wrote:For the majority below the T13, the odds of finding a job which will allow you to pay down your debt are vastly stacked against you.
Not if your on a scholly and only pay 10k a year for living expenses.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:42 pm

2L is worse than 1L, IMO. I just want it to be summer so I can work already instead of going through what has become a (mostly) pointless academic exercise. I mean, I actually really loved 1L, but I remember thinking at the time how I was going to deal with 2 more years of this.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:49 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:
Not if your on a scholly and only pay 10k a year for living expenses.
Yeah, I'm several spots outside the T14/13, whatever we're calling it these days, but with substantial scholly. It'll suck if I don't get the type of job I want, but it'll only have been opportunity costs. And those are low because it's not like I was a business major or engineer anyway.

If I have a rough time, I think I have enough gumption to eke out a decent career. And if it looks like it'll be wiser to jump ship from the legal profession to make a better living, then I'm not tied to it emotionally or financially.

But I agree, law school is just depressing, especially if you're already prone to depression. I hate the section system, and I can't wait until the people I'm with change every class, like college. That's by far the biggest downgrade.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:27 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:But I agree, law school is just depressing, especially if you're already prone to depression. I hate the section system, and I can't wait until the people I'm with change every class, like college. That's by far the biggest downgrade.
+1

The section system annoys the piss out of me. The voices of all these same people in every single class every single day is gnawing at me. I'm really looking forward to switching it up next year.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Sat Feb 25, 2012 3:40 pm

crossarmant wrote:
reformed calvinist wrote:But I agree, law school is just depressing, especially if you're already prone to depression. I hate the section system, and I can't wait until the people I'm with change every class, like college. That's by far the biggest downgrade.
+1

The section system annoys the piss out of me. The voices of all these same people in every single class every single day is gnawing at me. I'm really looking forward to switching it up next year.
One of our sections is very... close? It reminds me of Kindergarten. Everyone has a hallway buddy. But yeah, I can't wait to hear the opinions of people that are not the same five that talk in every single class every day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:25 am

I'm a 2L and have completely checked out. I have no fucking idea why this is a three-year degree. It's all so worthless.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:13 am

LSATmakesMeNeurotic wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
+1

One of our sections is very... close? It reminds me of Kindergarten. Everyone has a hallway buddy. But yeah, I can't wait to hear the opinions of people that are not the same five that talk in every single class every day.
We have one section at my school that wore the same color every Wednesday and called it color Wednesday. Super weiners... :lol:

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:42 am

wow, this is TLS circle jerk at its finest. I am in my second semester too and I also am feeling complacent and frustrated at times, but holy shit you guys sound like the biggest bunch of whiners. Telling people with MDs that they can't comment on difficult academic experiences? Get over yourselves. It is just law school. Telling 0Ls, "now that I am a wise law student of 6 months, I can impart the wisdom that you will never succeed" lol. You must sound stupid to adults who know that life goes on and has real problems besides the law school blues. Plus, I promise you will all be back on here next year as 2Ls saying "1Ls shouldn't comment, they don't understand" and then in 3 years as lawyers "law students shouldn't comment, they don't understand"

Go see a fucking movie, go to the gym, take a break, earn a B if it saves your sanity, but please, get some fucking perspective you whiney brats.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:48 am

kwais wrote:wow, this is TLS circle jerk at its finest. I am in my second semester too and I also am feeling complacent and frustrated at times, but holy shit you guys sound like the biggest bunch of whiners. Telling people with MDs that they can't comment on difficult academic experiences? Get over yourselves. It is just law school. Telling 0Ls, "now that I am a wise law student of 6 months, I can impart the wisdom that you will never succeed" lol. You must sound stupid to adults who know that life goes on and has real problems besides the law school blues. Plus, I promise you will all be back on here next year as 2Ls saying "1Ls shouldn't comment, they don't understand" and then in 3 years as lawyers "law students shouldn't comment, they don't understand"

Go see a fucking movie, go to the gym, take a break, earn a B if it saves your sanity, but please, get some fucking perspective you whiney brats.
Talking about law school problems does not mean that law students don't have "real problems" either. Take the stick out of your ass, and get off the soapbox.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:52 am

kwais wrote:wow, this is TLS circle jerk at its finest. I am in my second semester too and I also am feeling complacent and frustrated at times, but holy shit you guys sound like the biggest bunch of whiners. Telling people with MDs that they can't comment on difficult academic experiences? Get over yourselves. It is just law school. Telling 0Ls, "now that I am a wise law student of 6 months, I can impart the wisdom that you will never succeed" lol. You must sound stupid to adults who know that life goes on and has real problems besides the law school blues. Plus, I promise you will all be back on here next year as 2Ls saying "1Ls shouldn't comment, they don't understand" and then in 3 years as lawyers "law students shouldn't comment, they don't understand"

Talking about law school problems does not mean that law students don't have "real problems" either. Take the stick out of your ass, and get off the soapbox.
lol u mad LSAT?

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:57 am

I'd rather be on a soapbox than crying about first world problems.

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Silver

Post by LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 pm

Guchster wrote:
lol u mad LSAT?

lol, not really. I just can't stand self-righteous pricks.

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:16 pm

Go to studentdoctor.net. Tell them u are premed and have a JD. Then tell those of them in med school that u totally feel their pain and see what they say to you. :twisted:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:

Go to studentdoctor.net. Tell them u are premed and have a JD. Then tell them u totally feel their pain and see what they say to you. :twisted:
so you are doubling down on this? MD + residency = 5 months of law school?

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:23 pm

kwais wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

Go to studentdoctor.net. Tell them u are premed and have a JD. Then tell them u totally feel their pain and see what they say to you. :twisted:
No. What I am saying is that they dont want to hear the opinion of a JD on MD training over there any more than we want the opinion of an MD on law school... For exactly the same reason: apples to oranges my friend. They are just too different to make comparisons valid

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:33 pm

spleenworship wrote:
kwais wrote:
spleenworship wrote:

No. What I am saying is that they dont want to hear the opinion of a JD on MD training over there any more than we want the opinion of an MD on law school... For exactly the same reason: apples to oranges my friend. They are just too different to make comparisons valid
fo real? Among the one million paths someone on this earth can take, top tier professional schools in different vocations in the US are that different? I have another theory. Someone with experience in hard schooling came into your thread and offered some general, "keep your heads up and get some perspective" advice, and it embarrassed people. Are you really telling me that a more reasonable response to Kimberly would not have been, "hey thanks for your post. It is interesting to hear from someone who did something different but that shares some important features. When you were in school, how did you get through some of the tougher semesters"? Instead we get "Hey Kimberly, since you never got cold called on Erie, sitting next to some aspie in Civ Pro, you will never ever know what it is we are going through" lulz

spleenworship

Gold

Post by spleenworship » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:53 pm

kwais wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
kwais wrote:
spleenworship wrote:
fo real? Among the one million paths someone on this earth can take, top tier professional schools in different vocations in the US are that different? I have another theory. Someone with experience in hard schooling came into your thread and offered some general, "keep your heads up and get some perspective" advice, and it embarrassed people. Are you really telling me that a more reasonable response to Kimberly would not have been, "hey thanks for your post. It is interesting to hear from someone who did something different but that shares some important features. When you were in school, how did you get through some of the tougher semesters"? Instead we get "Hey Kimberly, since you never got cold called on Erie, sitting next to some aspie in Civ Pro, you will never ever know what it is we are going through" lulz
I'll believe you after you have gone to studentdoctor.net and do as I suggested and have not gotten the exact same response (if not more forceful, they frequently ban people who disagree with them over there). Then I'll say "yeah, I guess we could've handled that better."

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”