Who to ask for Recs for Clerkships? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
the lantern

Bronze

Who to ask for Recs for Clerkships?

Post by the lantern » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:49 pm

So uh. I have awesome grades and I'm an editor on LR, but I don't really know who to ask for letters of rec. I've obviously done well in my classes, but I feel like in 80 person classes, probably at least half of my profs never even put a name to my face. I know for sure that my clinic prof will be an outstanding LOR. Other than that, though, I'm stumped. There is one professor who I've had two classes with, so I guess I'll try to ask him, but still, that 3rd LOR is proving to be very elusive. I haven't really been working long enough at my job to ask someone there for an LOR. Fuck. Suggestions? I know that I could ask profs and they would probably say okay, but I just feel like they won't really be that good of letters. If anyone has any thoughts, I"d appreciate it. My CSO is going to talk with our clerkship advisory committee about what I should do, but I am seriously stressing over this. If I can't together three solid letters, I essentially wasted the last two years of my life slaving away and worrying about grades.

romothesavior

Diamond

Re: Who to ask for Recs for Clerkships?

Post by romothesavior » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:37 am

You should be talking to professors outside of class. Don't be that goober who chases them down after class, but say hi to them in the halls, find things to ask questions about, etc. It is doable without being annoying or a brown noser; you just have to know how to properly interact with them. It's not too late to strike up relationships by the end of the semester. We're 5 weeks in and I already have built a solid connection with my seminar prof. Have you taken any seminars? These are great ways to get to know professors.

I think all but one of my professors over the past three semesters knows my name, and I feel comfortable popping in and talking to at least half of them. Professors usually like getting to know students. Find stuff to talk to them about, and start building connections ASAP.

Ignatius J. Reilly

New

Post by Ignatius J. Reilly » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:11 pm

the lantern wrote:So uh. I have awesome grades and I'm an editor on LR, but I don't really know who to ask for letters of rec. I've obviously done well in my classes, but I feel like in 80 person classes, probably at least half of my profs never even put a name to my face. I know for sure that my clinic prof will be an outstanding LOR. Other than that, though, I'm stumped. There is one professor who I've had two classes with, so I guess I'll try to ask him, but still, that 3rd LOR is proving to be very elusive. I haven't really been working long enough at my job to ask someone there for an LOR. Fuck. Suggestions? I know that I could ask profs and they would probably say okay, but I just feel like they won't really be that good of letters. If anyone has any thoughts, I"d appreciate it. My CSO is going to talk with our clerkship advisory committee about what I should do, but I am seriously stressing over this. If I can't together three solid letters, I essentially wasted the last two years of my life slaving away and worrying about grades.
Don't know exactly how little you've been there, but I feel like you can probably ask someone from your work for a letter of recommendation. I recently graduated and started my job (don't know why I still post here; habit I guess), and I know we have interns that I haven't worked much with, but if they asked me for a letter, I would gladly fire one off for them. As long as they know your name and have at least seen some of your work, and the way you interact with people around the office, they can write a legit LOR. Even if you haven't done work directly for them, you can show them something you have done, or even just explain it. They probably want to see you get the job. Plus, a letter from someone you work with would be better than another professor, because it would expand the range of people from whom you have letters. Just ask someone you know isn't a complete dick, and I bet you get the letter.

LoyalRebel

Bronze

Post by LoyalRebel » Thu Feb 16, 2012 6:10 pm

If you've done well in a professor's class, and have talked to him outside of class (been to his office, emailed him, etc.), they're usually happy to write a LoR for you. Just ask them.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”