Help me analyze this intentional tort hypo please Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geist13

Silver

Re: Help me analyze this intentional tort hypo please

Post by Geist13 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:58 am

ITT a bunch of 1Ls learn, by revelation, that not every professor in the freaking country agrees on the answer to a particular question.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:59 am

Geist13 wrote:ITT a bunch of 1Ls learn, by revelation, that not every professor in the freaking country agrees on the answer to a particular question.
Obviously answers may vary by professor and he should go by what his professor tells him, but if the professor is saying that the dual-intent approach to battery is the majority rule then the professor is doing him a disservice.

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:03 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Geist13 wrote:ITT a bunch of 1Ls learn, by revelation, that not every professor in the freaking country agrees on the answer to a particular question.
Obviously answers may vary by professor and he should go by what his professor tells him, but if the professor is saying that the dual-intent approach to battery is the majority rule then the professor is doing him a disservice.
And I'm sure his professor would seriously disagree with you there. And I'm also sure that you've personally experienced the disservice that such a lesson has on lawyers and aren't at all just going off what your professor/e&e tell you.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:44 pm

There is so much fail in this thread.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:There is so much fail in this thread.
No you're a towel

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:32 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:There is so much fail in this thread.
No you're a towel
:lol: :lol:

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:35 am

Geist13 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
And I'm sure his professor would seriously disagree with you there. And I'm also sure that you've personally experienced the disservice that such a lesson has on lawyers and aren't at all just going off what your professor/e&e tell you.
You're right, there are no right answers and the law means whatever you want it to mean.

But again, if his professor is teaching that the dual-intent requirement of battery is the correct rule to apply, then that's what he should apply.

Anomaly

Bronze

Post by Anomaly » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:15 am

Now I'm totally confused. Thanks tls.

Either way, the point of the hypo is to get you to talk about the relevance of cultural evidence in determining intent for battery. Sure, the reasonable American girl who's shopping for groceries would be offended when a stranger touches her. But this is still a hard case because the dude had no offensive intent. I mean he just moved here last week - how's he supposed to know about our social norms? Do you think he knew? If he's liable, how much money do you think the jury should award for the girl's injury?

Maybe you can say this is a case like white v. muniz where the defendant was NOT liable for battery because she couldn't appreciate the offensiveness of her contact.

I don't know. But the question says "make A's best case". It does not say "please cut and paste your pre-written battery analysis from your outline and insert A and B".

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:31 am

I believe the award would be the plaintiff's choosing of a time to take out the defendant via predator drone. Disclaimer: IANAL.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”