Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Flips88

Diamond

Re: Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice?

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:31 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote: Note, this has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards homosexuals. The decisions in Lawrence and Romer are just wrong, regardless of ideology.
So was Brown v. Board wrong also? It was overturning policies implemented by a political majority based on animus toward a specific group?
No because I think the separate but equal doctrine was an erroneous application of the Equal Protection Clause. I'm not sure how any interpretation of the Due Process Clause can invalidate state laws like the one in Lawrence. It's obviously, as Justice Stewart would say, an "uncommonly silly law." But it's not unconstitutional.
No. Criminalizing consensual human behavior because people have antagonistic views based on religion ≠ requiring a optometrist prescription for new glasses.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:39 pm

Flips88 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote: Note, this has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards homosexuals. The decisions in Lawrence and Romer are just wrong, regardless of ideology.
So was Brown v. Board wrong also? It was overturning policies implemented by a political majority based on animus toward a specific group?
No because I think the separate but equal doctrine was an erroneous application of the Equal Protection Clause. I'm not sure how any interpretation of the Due Process Clause can invalidate state laws like the one in Lawrence. It's obviously, as Justice Stewart would say, an "uncommonly silly law." But it's not unconstitutional.
No. Criminalizing consensual human behavior because people have antagonistic views based on religion ≠ requiring a optometrist prescription for new glasses.
I was actually talking about Griswold, not Williamson v. Lee Optical.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:42 pm

Drake014 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Seeing a lot of ideologically based Scalia-hate :roll:

I'm a big fan of Jackson. You can literally read his opinions as recreational prose
Well he typically contorts his ridiculous constitutional framework to meet some end. Like how he wants to limit federal power under the commerce clause, except where something like completely localized marijuana is involved. Then the commerce power gives them the power to regulate it.
Yeah... his opinions are littered with hypocritical bullshit like that.

People think Thomas is an idiot, and sometimes he is, but he's not the hypocrite that Scalia is.
I don't know. Thomas voted to uphold the partial birth abortion ban in Gonzales v. Carhart, despite saying in every CC case that the CC only allows regulation of goods that actually cross state lines. Am I missing something with this? Isn't this hypocrisy of the highest order? How can he possibly twist himself into thinking a federal ban on certain abortion procedures is permissible? I know it wasn't a CC case for anyone else, but surely for him it should have been?

EDIT: Also, sweet necro? I just replied to something from like a year and a half ago.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:46 pm

Elston Gunn wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Seeing a lot of ideologically based Scalia-hate :roll:

I'm a big fan of Jackson. You can literally read his opinions as recreational prose
Well he typically contorts his ridiculous constitutional framework to meet some end. Like how he wants to limit federal power under the commerce clause, except where something like completely localized marijuana is involved. Then the commerce power gives them the power to regulate it.
Yeah... his opinions are littered with hypocritical bullshit like that.

People think Thomas is an idiot, and sometimes he is, but he's not the hypocrite that Scalia is.
I don't know. Thomas voted to uphold the partial birth abortion ban in Gonzales v. Carhart, despite saying in every CC case that the CC only allows regulation of goods that actually cross state lines. Am I missing something with this? Isn't this hypocrisy of the highest order? How can he possibly twist himself into thinking a federal ban on certain abortion procedures is permissible? I know it wasn't a CC case for anyone else, but surely for him it should have been?
Did the Commerce Clause issue come up in Gonzalez v. Carhart? I only read a highly edited version, but you're right that under Thomas' prior concurrences/dissents in CC cases, he should have voted to strike down the law on that ground.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:50 pm

Here's a very topical Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-get- ... rry,30684/
I’ve spoken maybe two times in the past decade, for Christ’s sake. Think about that. That’s hundreds and hundreds of cases during which I’ve sat silently and twiddled my thumbs as my colleagues actively interrogated lawyers and posed tough questions about the scope and applications of laws—cases to which I barely paid attention, sometimes appearing to nap on the bench. And I get to have a say in deciding on a constitutional level whether or not all adult members of the human race have the right to recognize their unions? That historic judgment falls on my shoulders?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:52 pm

Flips88 wrote:Here's a very topical Onion article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/i-get- ... rry,30684/
I’ve spoken maybe two times in the past decade, for Christ’s sake. Think about that. That’s hundreds and hundreds of cases during which I’ve sat silently and twiddled my thumbs as my colleagues actively interrogated lawyers and posed tough questions about the scope and applications of laws—cases to which I barely paid attention, sometimes appearing to nap on the bench. And I get to have a say in deciding on a constitutional level whether or not all adult members of the human race have the right to recognize their unions? That historic judgment falls on my shoulders?
I thought this Onion article was one of the all-time most disappointing Onion articles. Good idea, but I didn't laugh once.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:59 pm

James Clark McReynolds

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:12 am

rad lulz wrote:James Clark McReynolds
Wikipedia wrote:One of McReynolds' law clerks wrote "... in 1946 he [McReynolds] died a very lonely death in a hospital – without a single friend or relative at his bedside. He was buried in Kentucky, but no member of the Court attended his funeral though one employee of the Court travelled to Kentucky for the services." In contrast, as the clerk noted, when McReynolds's aged African-American messenger, Harry Parker, died in 1953, his funeral was attended by five or six Justices, including the Chief Justice.

Borg

Bronze

Post by Borg » Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:26 am

Lincoln wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Louis Brandeis and it isn't even close.
+1

Douglas called him "a militant crusader for social justice." He invented the right to privacy; advocated for government transparency ("sunshine is the best disinfectant"); was a vigorous defender of freedom of speech, and has been driving law students insane for 75 years by inventing the Eire doctrine.
180. The best Justice, hands down.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:21 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kykiske

Bronze

Post by kykiske » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:15 pm

Chief Justice Roberts is my favorite.

I greatly admire his writing. He has mastered the ability to convey complex legal arguments in a concise, clear, and eloquent manner.

Whenever I have writer's block, I often read his writing; particularly his Alaska v. EPA brief that he filed before the Supreme Court when he was still with Hogan Lovells. What masterful writing.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:40 am

kykiske wrote: Whenever I have writer's block, I often read his writing; particularly his Alaska v. EPA brief that he filed before the Supreme Court when he was still with Hogan Lovells.
This is just sad and pathetic.

lawdog97

New

Post by lawdog97 » Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:46 pm

David Souter. His 19th Century lifestyle alone takes the cake for me.

John Paul Stevens and the bow ties take second place.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

galactiis

New

Post by galactiis » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:12 am

The 1950s-era Courts were the best, IMHO. Minton, Reed, and Burton were known as "The Battalion of Death" because they so rarely voted to overturn convictions. Douglas was a womanizer and married a woman 40 years his junior. Black was a former member of the KKK (for political reasons, IIRC) who had a long-running feud with Jackson. Frankfurter used to write these long memos harassing his colleagues about deciding things too broadly, and would talk for hours during conferences.

obamalaw

New

Post by obamalaw » Thu Aug 25, 2022 4:42 pm

David H. Souter. For such a quiet, reclusive, and classy man, he is one of the most controversial justices of all time.

He represented the George H.W. Bush/C. Boyden Gray/ James Baker uber wealthy New England Country Club Republicans. As the Republican ideology shifted, he kept his same moral principles.

He did not leave Republican, Republicans left him. Because of Souter, the Court has become more politicized.

Ballsy move.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”