Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Re: Who is your favorite Supreme Court Justice?

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:49 am

I like anyone who quotes "an uncommonly silly law," at least temporarily

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:44 pm

Kennedy, without a doubt. I fall in love with him every time I read Lawrence v. Texas.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:11 pm

the lantern wrote:Kennedy, without a doubt. I fall in love with him every time I read Lawrence v. Texas.
Scalia's dissent in Lawrence and also in Romer v. Evans are probably the two most offensive modern legal opinions I've encountered. Hate that guy.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:32 pm

Thurexcellent Marshall, Brennan.

My Ks prof got me to appreciate Ellen Peters, but she's not SCOTUS.
Last edited by reformed calvinist on Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:33 pm

Flips88 wrote:
the lantern wrote:Kennedy, without a doubt. I fall in love with him every time I read Lawrence v. Texas.
Scalia's dissent in Lawrence and also in Romer v. Evans are probably the two most offensive modern legal opinions I've encountered. Hate that guy.
Agreed. I'm not following the Scalia love. I understand he writes with more clarity than the rest of the judges, but his opinions are just insufferable. More often than not it seems that he decides based upon his emotions and then will construct a seemingly plausible reason for why he's right rather than the other way around. Like in DC v. Heller, if you read both the opinion and dissent, you realize that for a person who hammers away at "This is not specifically stated in the Constitution!" he will nitpick and make things where they aren't when his personal opinion wants it that way. I understand that all Justices do so to an extent, but it's just insufferable because he uses such vitriol in his writings and is positively socially regressive.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:39 pm

crossarmant wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Agreed. I'm not following the Scalia love. I understand he writes with more clarity than the rest of the judges, but his opinions are just insufferable. More often than not it seems that he decides based upon his emotions and then will construct a seemingly plausible reason for why he's right rather than the other way around. Like in DC v. Heller, if you read both the opinion and dissent, you realize that for a person who hammers away at "This is not specifically stated in the Constitution!" he will nitpick and make things where they aren't when his personal opinion wants it that way. I understand that all Justices do so to an extent, but it's just insufferable because he uses such vitriol in his writings and is positively socially regressive.
Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought that Souter had some of the most lucid prose. The ones I've had to read have always been pretty clear, but they could be the anomaly for all I know.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:46 pm

Flips88 wrote:
dunno. Posner's idea that preventing same-sex sexual harassment might give men license to run around in high-heels is pretty bad.

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:02 pm

Warren.

reformed calvinist

Bronze

Post by reformed calvinist » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm

Kennedy's an interesting guy. I find it interesting when people say he has too much power-he is a swing voter but I don't think that's accurate or fair just because he doesn't have as easily identifiable an ideology as other justices. I guess what I mean is-it is descriptively true, but when people make a normative statement on this it doesn't make sense. He has too much power because he doesn't have a wrought-iron ideology? That says more about the Court than it does about him.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TrojanHopeful

Bronze

Post by TrojanHopeful » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:11 pm

reformed calvinist wrote:
Kennedy's an interesting guy. I find it interesting when people say he has too much power-he is a swing voter but I don't think that's accurate or fair just because he doesn't have as easily identifiable an ideology as other justices. I guess what I mean is-it is descriptively true, but when people make a normative statement on this it doesn't make sense. He has too much power because he doesn't have a wrought-iron ideology? That says more about the Court than it does about him.
Exactly. A court that should be ruling with an unbiased mind is quite predictable in almost all of their decisions depending on their ideology (aka political-party association).

jd20132013

Silver

Post by jd20132013 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:18 pm

Seeing a lot of ideologically based Scalia-hate :roll:

I'm a big fan of Jackson. You can literally read his opinions as recreational prose

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:53 pm

jd20132013 wrote:Seeing a lot of ideologically based Scalia-hate :roll:

I'm a big fan of Jackson. You can literally read his opinions as recreational prose
Well he typically contorts his ridiculous constitutional framework to meet some end. Like how he wants to limit federal power under the commerce clause, except where something like completely localized marijuana is involved. Then the commerce power gives them the power to regulate it.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:18 pm

Flips88 wrote:
jd20132013 wrote:Seeing a lot of ideologically based Scalia-hate :roll:

Well he typically contorts his ridiculous constitutional framework to meet some end. Like how he wants to limit federal power under the commerce clause, except where something like completely localized marijuana is involved. Then the commerce power gives them the power to regulate it.
Yeah... his opinions are littered with hypocritical bullshit like that.

People think Thomas is an idiot, and sometimes he is, but he's not the hypocrite that Scalia is.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lincoln

Silver

Post by Lincoln » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:43 pm

NYC Law wrote:Louis Brandeis and it isn't even close.
+1

Douglas called him "a militant crusader for social justice." He invented the right to privacy; advocated for government transparency ("sunshine is the best disinfectant"); was a vigorous defender of freedom of speech, and has been driving law students insane for 75 years by inventing the Eire doctrine.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:13 am

Dozo. solid ass writer.

dudders

Bronze

Post by dudders » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:12 am

Ruth Bader Ginsburg ftw.

also:

Antilles Haven

Bronze

Post by Antilles Haven » Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:47 pm

eliekedourie wrote:
bartleby wrote:learned hand
I'm hoping that this is just ignorance or an innocent troll and not an attempt to sabotage the OP's future interview.
That's funny, because I was hoping for the exact opposite.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:32 am

Justice Derpington

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:21 am

Current: Scalia by far.

All-time: I like Harlan (the younger, though the older wasn't bad either) a lot, as well as Frankfurter. Those two and Scalia would probably be top 3.

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:23 am

Flips88 wrote:
Scalia's dissent in Lawrence is one of my favorite opinions of all time (though it is not nearly as good as his concurrence in judgment in part/dissent in part in Casey). The majority opinion in Romer v. Evans is one of the most poorly reasoned ever. Scalia was totally right to tear it apart.

Note, this has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards homosexuals. The decisions in Lawrence and Romer are just wrong, regardless of ideology.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:36 pm

McReynolds was quite the character.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gamecubesupreme

Bronze

Post by Gamecubesupreme » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:15 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:The majority opinion in Romer v. Evans is one of the most poorly reasoned ever. Scalia was totally right to tear it apart.
I have yet to read a SCOTUS opinion worse than Eldred v. Ashcroft.

Even though I might have an IP bias, that decision was just awful.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:21 pm

ndirish2010 wrote: Note, this has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards homosexuals. The decisions in Lawrence and Romer are just wrong, regardless of ideology.
So was Brown v. Board wrong also? It was overturning policies implemented by a political majority based on animus toward a specific group?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 pm

I thought Shady Grove was a complete OUTRAGE

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:25 pm

Flips88 wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote: Note, this has nothing to do with my personal feelings towards homosexuals. The decisions in Lawrence and Romer are just wrong, regardless of ideology.
So was Brown v. Board wrong also? It was overturning policies implemented by a political majority based on animus toward a specific group?
No because I think the separate but equal doctrine was an erroneous application of the Equal Protection Clause. I'm not sure how any interpretation of the Due Process Clause can invalidate state laws like the one in Lawrence. It's obviously, as Justice Stewart would say, an "uncommonly silly law." But it's not unconstitutional.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”