Can Id. follow Id. at xxx? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Can Id. follow Id. at xxx?

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Somewhat self-explanatory.

I know Id. is used to cite to the immediately preceding authority, but if I cite to a case, then cite to Id. at xxx, and then Id. (to refer to the same page as the Id. at xxx), is this clear? Following the letter of the bluebook, this seems OK, but I just want to make sure this is correct and it is clear to the reader exactly what I am citing to.

PirateCap'n

Silver

Re: Can Id. follow Id. at xxx?

Post by PirateCap'n » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:16 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Somewhat self-explanatory.

I know Id. is used to cite to the immediately preceding authority, but if I cite to a case, then cite to Id. at xxx, and then Id. (to refer to the same page as the Id. at xxx), is this clear? Following the letter of the bluebook, this seems OK, but I just want to make sure this is correct and it is clear to the reader exactly what I am citing to.
It's perfectly acceptable to do that.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:17 pm

Judge Philip Banks wrote:Somewhat self-explanatory.

Yes you can do that.

So like: Blah blah blah. Id. at 123. Blah blah blah. Id.

The 2nd id. refers to page 123.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:19 pm

Yes, you can. Is it a law review article? If so, check the 5 id rule with your LR.

Judge Philip Banks

Bronze

Post by Judge Philip Banks » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:28 pm

kalvano wrote:Yes, you can. Is it a law review article? If so, check the 5 id rule with your LR.
Just citing a case for an LRW memo.

'preciate the help, guys.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”