International Justice Mission Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soccerfreak

Bronze

International Justice Mission

Post by soccerfreak » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:58 pm

I'm applying for an IJM summer legal internship, just wondering if anyone who has done it before has any info what it's like, whether to go overseas/D.C., and how competitive it is.

capscapscaps

New

Re: International Justice Mission

Post by capscapscaps » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:49 am

I interviewed there for a legal assistant position - I realize the interview process for these positions is likely very different but I thought it might be at least worth mentioning what my interviews were like. After two brief phone interviews, I met with the head of the legal department and talked for about 45 minutes about my life - it was nontraditional in that he was interested in understanding why I wanted to work there and what led me to my decision. It was actually really refreshing and after interviewing at a bunch of corporate type places I came here and actually felt really good leaving the interview. They did ask me about my faith, so I would be prepared for that (not a big part of the interview but it is a faith-based org). I got called back for a second interview but had already sold my soul to a large law firm (which later went bankrupt - great career choices all around). Anyway, I know the positions are quite different but the interview process at IJM as a whole seems a bit more holistic than other places (ie: not just what's your great strength type crap) so I thought I'd share. I know all legal jobs care about numbers/education, but I feel like this is one place where being a well-rounded, decent, and philanthropic person actually counts for something.

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:02 am

capscapscaps wrote:I interviewed there for a legal assistant position - I realize the interview process for these positions is likely very different but I thought it might be at least worth mentioning what my interviews were like. After two brief phone interviews, I met with the head of the legal department and talked for about 45 minutes about my life - it was nontraditional in that he was interested in understanding why I wanted to work there and what led me to my decision. It was actually really refreshing and after interviewing at a bunch of corporate type places I came here and actually felt really good leaving the interview. They did ask me about my faith, so I would be prepared for that (not a big part of the interview but it is a faith-based org). I got called back for a second interview but had already sold my soul to a large law firm (which later went bankrupt - great career choices all around). Anyway, I know the positions are quite different but the interview process at IJM as a whole seems a bit more holistic than other places (ie: not just what's your great strength type crap) so I thought I'd share. I know all legal jobs care about numbers/education, but I feel like this is one place where being a well-rounded, decent, and philanthropic person actually counts for something.
Okay thanks, that really was helpful. I'm pretty clueless about the whole process so any info is good.

What exactly is a legal assistant, sort of a paralegal?

soccerfreak

Bronze

Post by soccerfreak » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Bump.

capscapscaps

New

Post by capscapscaps » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:43 pm

Sorry - forgot to check back. Yes, legal assistant is basically synonymous with paralegal. This was the summer before I started law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”