Which is harder: a 1L law school exam or the LSAT? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
vtoodler

Bronze

Which is harder: a 1L law school exam or the LSAT?

Post by vtoodler » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:21 am

Which do you think is a harder test to do well on: the LSAT or a 1L law school exam?

Gold

Re: Which is harder: a 1L law school exam or the LSAT?

Post by 094320 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:33 am

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:51 am

I would say my 1L exams were much more intense than the LSAT. In reality, what you learn here, subject to a change in the law, is general foundation of what you will practice with. The LSAT with its logic games, while mimicking the concepts that are to predict success, has an entirely different meaning.

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:01 am

My exams were a lot easier than the LSAT. The only thing "harder" about exams are that there's a lot of pressure, plus a forced curve. LSAT was a lot more difficult for me just because it was not learnable for me. I don't even see a connection between the two, but I'll save that rant for another thread.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:06 am

? Wouldn't a single law school exam always be easier than the LSAT? I mean, I guess if you count class time leading up to the exam as 'studying'...then maybe not; but even if you only kept up with the reading and took class notes, the amount of studying for the exam would be a fraction of starting on the LSAT.

Though to be fair, the two are actually incomparable because of the curve, the pool of people taking it, what grades you're looking at and the cutoffs at your particular school, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:09 am

Even if it weren't for the law school curve, the LSAT would be a million times easier. There are nearly a thousand practice tests for the LSAT, not true for 1L exams. There's also zero pressure regarding the LSAT, because it can always be retaken, again not true for 1L exams.

Also, logic games made the LSAT kind of fun. There's nothing fun about negligence or the statue of frauds or the Erie Doctrine or anything here really.

memo2partner

New

Post by memo2partner » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:11 am

LSAT's harder--I crushed my contracts and property exams (As)

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:15 am

DoubleChecks wrote:? Wouldn't a single law school exam always be easier than the LSAT? I mean, I guess if you count class time leading up to the exam as 'studying'...then maybe not; but even if you only kept up with the reading and took class notes, the amount of studying for the exam would be a fraction of starting on the LSAT.

Though to be fair, the two are actually incomparable because of the curve, the pool of people taking it, what grades you're looking at and the cutoffs at your particular school, etc.
To me, a law school exam just simply offers more freedom to analyze and think rather than rigid, canned answer choices on the LSAT, which I found hard to understand cause they were not my own wordings and thought patterns. Everyone says the LSAT can be learned, but I never found that to be true to me. I studied a LOT for that test to the point of diminishing returns. It seemed like it tested more on innate traits that I never possessed. On a law exam, you could still do horribly but still do well cause of the curve. I would rather take a 5 hour issue spotter than take the LSAT any day.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:23 am

Much easier to get in the top 10% on the LSAT than top 10% on a law school exam. I haven't gotten grades back, but I have no delusions of grandeur. it's way harder to be at the top of an exam than the LSAT.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Nightsideclipse

New

Post by Nightsideclipse » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:05 am

Law school exams by far.

There are objective answers and essays for the win.

CactusPuppy

New

Post by CactusPuppy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:37 am

Law school exams are far more difficult. They are not merely a test of your intelligence and mastery of the material. They require additional skills (application, ability to show you know how to apply).

The LSAT requires little skill (you should already have test-taking skills via SAT, AP, ACT, practicing) and depends on "intelligence."

Moreover, the curve on the law school exams is more difficult, and if you went to a good school, you are competing with highly competent, smart and hard-working individuals; you lose the mass of American undergrad kids, most of whom have subpar logic or reasoning ability

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:57 am

my crim exam was, i think empirically, about 5-7 times harder than the LSAT

hth

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:02 am

I would rather take a 1L exam over again (or, hell, all of them) than take the LSAT again, but I'm weird.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kabuo

Silver

Post by Kabuo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 am

I'm drunk.
Last edited by Kabuo on Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:13 am

Kabuo wrote:
Im kind of outed, and I don't care.
:?:

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:11 am

Subjective question is subjective.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:48 am

I think that the LSAT was 100 times easier.

I spent way more time preparing for my 1L exams and I am 100% less confident than I was after taking the LSAT. It is the damn curve, you can never be sure.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:30 am

There's so much more pressure on 1l exams that they seemed a lot harder to me. At least the LSAT has logic games and then a section at the end that's totally worthless.

CactusPuppy

New

Post by CactusPuppy » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:41 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:There's so much more pressure on 1l exams that they seemed a lot harder to me. At least the LSAT has logic games and then a section at the end that's totally worthless.
deleted..
Last edited by CactusPuppy on Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:16 am

Flips88 wrote:Much easier to get in the top 10% on the LSAT than top 10% on a law school exam. I haven't gotten grades back, but I have no delusions of grandeur. it's way harder to be at the top of an exam than the LSAT.
That's not a good analogy, because the percentages work in different ways.

I thought the LSAT was a lot harder, but that's probably because I didn't get any law school grades back yet. Also, although you can take the LSAT again, you have like thirty chances to change your GPA, and countless other chances to mitigate its effect. But an LSAT is forever. Another factor in comparing the two is that the better you did on the LSAT, the less you need to worry about exams (usually), because you might not need top 10% to get a job.

D'Angelo

Bronze

Post by D'Angelo » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:36 pm

cinephile wrote:Even if it weren't for the law school curve, the LSAT would be a million times easier. There are nearly a thousand practice tests for the LSAT, not true for 1L exams. There's also zero pressure regarding the LSAT, because it can always be retaken, again not true for 1L exams.

Also, logic games made the LSAT kind of fun. There's nothing fun about negligence or the statue of frauds or the Erie Doctrine or anything here really.
actually I enjoyed logic games but enjoy law school material more! the tests are still so much harder though...studied much less for the LSAT than for any law school exam.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:47 pm

Law school exams for above reasons, plus added stress knowing you don't have the option to retake them..

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:22 pm

Law school exams are curved against students who did similar to you on the LSAT... LSAT you're going against (percentile wise) a large amount of people who didn't even know you could study for the LSAT

BeaverHunter

New

Post by BeaverHunter » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:08 pm

The correct answer to "which is it easier to do well on" is the LSAT, unless you go to a crap school. Since both are graded on a curve (more or less), your competition is tougher on the law school exam since the folks in your classes tend to have done better than median on the LSAT.

Subjectively, law school exams feel harder too.

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:21 pm

I really think this is like comparing apples to oranges. Should you factor in studying time too in determining which is 'harder'? Hours-wise, I spent a lot more time studying for the LSAT than all my law exams put together. Unless, once again, you count class time and the original reading throughout the semester as studying...which I grant you could...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”