anyone have good advice how to calm yourself down? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
I.P. Daly

Silver

Re: anyone have good advice how to calm yourself down?

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:37 pm

Karaoke. Really bad karaoke.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:39 pm

Borhas wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:Booze actually makes anxiety worse.
You're doing it wrong.
http://www.anxietyguru.net/why-alcohol-causes-anxiety/
that's a bunch of bullshit

One to two beers would not cause any of those effects in a normal human, getting blacked out drunk however, would definitely cause more troubles than is worth
A few drinks is not what I am talking about. Heavy drinking seems to be related to anxiety. People who are predisposed to anxiety should not use large amounts of alcohol to mask anxiety. There have been a lot of studies done that may show HEAVY drinking to possibly causing or increasing anxiety. I'm not talking about while you are drunk but during the times when there isn't alcohol in the system.
Or maybe I'm just a drunk, but seriously To relieve anxiety the best thing you can do is workout, have sex, manage caffeine intake, get sleep, and try to develop your spirituality.
If all else fails, main vein oxys.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:48 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:A few drinks is not what I am talking about. Heavy drinking seems to be related to anxiety. People who are predisposed to anxiety should not use large amounts of alcohol to mask anxiety. There have been a lot of studies done that may show HEAVY drinking to possibly causing or increasing anxiety. I'm not talking about while you are drunk but during the times when there isn't alcohol in the system.
Or maybe I'm just a drunk, but seriously To relieve anxiety the best thing you can do is workout, have sex, manage caffeine intake, get sleep, and try to develop your spirituality.
If all else fails, main vein oxys.
you forgot to add splashing cold water on your face to initiate the mammalian dive reflex

sleep is unquestionably good

sex is good, but getting it means having a girlfriend or picking up chicks (or dudes I guess) both can be stressful if not done correctly

caffeine I'd probably disagree on

God is Truth so I won't deny that

All in all, I think you have a damn good list though. Regular sex w/ a low drama and trustworthy partner, faith in God and order, good food, regular and deep sleep, and a glass or two of wine (or the equivalent) are the keys to a stress free life.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Borhas wrote: you forgot to add splashing cold water on your face to initiate the mammalian dive reflex
This is my new shit brah.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:01 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Borhas wrote: you forgot to add splashing cold water on your face to initiate the mammalian dive reflex
This is my new shit brah.
I've never found it works just splashing cold water, your body can tell the difference between rain or splashing and DIVE DIVE DIVE. Turning a shower from hot to cold and sticking your face under it, on the other hand, basically puts my body directly into sweet, sweet anaerobic shock.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:12 pm

I use to get paralyzed by anxiety. I know some folks don't want to hear this, but prayer and cutting back my excessive alcohol intake has been the biggest help.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:19 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
You're doing it wrong.
They're doing it wrong.

- Ernest Hemingway & Winston Churchill.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:23 pm

Guided meditation.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:25 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
You're doing it wrong.
They're doing it wrong.

I'm all for a healthy bit of drinking, and Hemingway was undoubtedly a badass, but I have a hard time believing that someone so intimately acquainted with the business end of his own shotgun was a pro at dealing with stress.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:35 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
You're doing it wrong.
They're doing it wrong.

Alcohol may help some, but for those who are predisposed to anxiety, alcohol may actually increase what you are trying to reduce.
When I use to have problems with anxiety, the one thing every doctor told me was that I had to reduce my alcohol intake. I have no idea if OP drinks or if he is a heavy drinker like I use to be, but if he is a person who seems to be predisposed to anxiety then he should not drink more than what he does currently.
Moderation is the key to everything. This is coming from a guy whos two favorite words are "Yes" and "More".... moderation is something I have had to confront on the reg.
Last edited by Mr. Pancakes on Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote: I'm all for a healthy bit of drinking, and Hemingway was undoubtedly a badass, but I have a hard time believing that someone so intimately acquainted with the business end of his own shotgun was a pro at dealing with stress.
It's a thin line between genius and insanity. Buddy Bolden drunk himself into an insane asylum.

I agree it's not for everyone. Also, I really hate beer. Why are all the good things bad for your health? Is this God's cruel joke on humankind?

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote: I'm all for a healthy bit of drinking, and Hemingway was undoubtedly a badass, but I have a hard time believing that someone so intimately acquainted with the business end of his own shotgun was a pro at dealing with stress.
I'm probably dead wrong on this since I lack expertise in the subject matter but I think suicide among the intelligentsia has more to do with the realization that there is nothing to this life. Sometimes I think the whole purpose of religion is to prevent people from offing themselves (assuming they don't put too much stock into the ramblings found in Ecclesiastics). Well that, and to prevent the poor from killing the rich.

Be born healthy/sick->get lucky/be fucked/work hard->succeed/fail->die anyways. Sounds pretty depressing if you don't have heaven/afterlife to look forward to

I.P. Daly

Silver

Post by I.P. Daly » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:00 pm

I appreciate that in this photograph, there is a bottle of booze resting on top of Hemingway's grave.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tyro

Silver

Post by tyro » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:06 pm

Drink and take relaxation pills.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:11 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:

Be born healthy/sick->get lucky/be fucked/work hard->succeed/fail->die anyways. Sounds pretty depressing if you don't have heaven/afterlife to look forward to
You need to get laid obviously.

thesteelers

Bronze

Post by thesteelers » Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:47 pm

as an offshoot to the OP's question: what about if you feel extremely calm before an exam, and equally calm after the exam? Like you know you missed stuff, but you expected that to happen, and you think you did fine...does this mean I'm basically getting median or below? Because this is basically how I have been reacting so far, and I think it's a bad sign.

Ks exam tomorrow and I know even less than I did on Friday...yet I'm weirdly calm and not afraid. It's freaking me out. I feel like I should be more hysterical given that I know nothing.

Maybe it's the kind of calm that you get when you know you're going to get shot and you know you can't dodge the bullet.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:15 pm

Don't base your self worth on a test. Know your self worth before the test. Take the test because you like winning, not bec you need it to feel confident.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 pm

a lot of people get this.. its normal. Just dont dwell on it, and move on to the next test, or start searfhing for a jerb. i would recommend going for a workout or kickboxing or doing something fun in the mean time

northwood

Platinum

Post by northwood » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:40 pm

and remember, a lot of people changed their answers from right to wrong... so you are not hte only one.

OperaSoprano

Gold

Post by OperaSoprano » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:58 pm

A lot of things, including a glass of wine and prescription meds, can help you relax. The challenge is finding something that won't screw up your health or make you too tired or spaced out to concentrate. Common anti anxiety drugs may put you to sleep, which is the last thing you need for an exam. What helps most? IME, getting away from the law school atmosphere to chill with people you love/care about who won't judge you, and spending time in creative pursuits. Singing, artwork, dance, whatever you most enjoy. Volunteering is also huge, because it reminds you how lucky you are to be getting an education, and not, say, facing eviction or deportation. Major perspective shift.

Also herbal tea with raw honey.

Sentience

New

Post by Sentience » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Sounds like your post-exam anxiety is derived from the exam anxiety that led you to go back and change answers which led you to be so worried about the exam. I recommend rubbing one out prior to the exam and taking a beta blocker--propanolol 20mg will allow you to experiment with different doses (warning: too much can make you apathetic)--40mg is usually sufficient for most people IMO.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”