K's Question about Specific Performance Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bartleby

Silver

K's Question about Specific Performance

Post by bartleby » Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:37 pm

Can you stipulate specific performance against the breaching party in a K and force them to do something when there is an adequate/commercial remedy? I know policy is compensate not punitive but I'm thinkin maybe because of freedom to make k's

zomginternets

Silver

Re: K's Question about Specific Performance

Post by zomginternets » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:43 pm

well they're contractually obligated to perform their end of the bargain in the first place, so it would be redundant to put in another clause that says the remedy for non-performance is performance. I think a judge would just see this as an end-run-around the general rule of not ordering specific performance of a contract.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:51 pm

No, you can't order specific performance. As we learned it, ordering a person to actually perform in a service is involuntary servitude. The only time Specific Performance is allows when it's for a unique good, land, or if it's a commercial offer (like a store's space in a shopping mall) that has damages that are far too speculative over time.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:24 am

awesome, found it in my notes too, u guys rock

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”