What is life like as a 2L? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LAWYER2

Silver

What is life like as a 2L?

Post by LAWYER2 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:54 pm

I know this may sound like a silly question, but how is 2L in comparison to 1L? I've heard the ole adage "1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, and 3L they bore you to death." What's your work load like, how does it differ from 1L?

Veyron

Gold

Re: What is life like as a 2L?

Post by Veyron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:57 pm

Sunshine. Puppy dogs.

MrPapagiorgio

Gold

Post by MrPapagiorgio » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:58 pm

Shit. I really have not found 1L to be that bad.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:59 pm

Depends on your job status. In general, people care a lot less about classes, but have a lot of other mindless B.S. work on the side to keep them preoccupied..

StyrofoamWar

Bronze

Post by StyrofoamWar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:02 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:I know this may sound like a silly question, but how is 2L in comparison to 1L? I've heard the ole adage "1L they scare you to death, 2L they work you to death, and 3L they bore you to death." What's your work load like, how does it differ from 1L?
Majority of work you get as a 2L tends to stem from extracurriculars, at least in my experience. People load up on journals, moot court, externships, part time jobs, etc in addition to classes in order to make themselves more attractive to potential employers. These things all look great on resumes, but the only problem is that they also require a ton of work.

Additionally, especially in the fall, you've got the clusterf*ck of looking for jobs. OCI, call backs, mass mailings, cold calling, etc etc etc. That was the majority of my focus for the first month plus of 2L. Once it settled down, things were pretty laid back (tbf, I'm not involved in a ton of extracurriculars, so my primary focus was getting a job + class, so I had it easier than a lot of 2Ls).

2L is just a lot more laid back in terms of the academics. People either hit the BigLaw lottery, or decided they weren't interested, or whatever else..basically, people have a much better idea where they're going. And the fear of the unknown (what are tests like? Will I fail? How do I stack up?) is all gone too. It makes law school feel a lot more just like school, rather than this big exercise in the unknown. It's a lot more palatable for me at least.

All I know is I could not have kept up the pace of 1L, so I'm real glad that 2L chilled the eff out.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

downstream

Bronze

Post by downstream » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:03 pm

Honestly, I think 2L is much more difficult than 1L.

1L is going to be tough for everyone, everyone is going through the exact same thing. However, all you have is the law. You need to do all the reading, go to class, outline, prep, etc.

2L is really as tough as you want to make it on yourself. There is a lot more extrinsic shit that takes away from doing what you did as a 1L which was sitting down and learning the law.

The first month is going to be lost to the job search. I got an offer from the place I am going next summer the Friday before classes actually began but it didn't matter- I still flew all over the place for callbacks just to be extra sure I knew what I wanted, spent weeks trying to decide where to go and it all takes a TON of time and energy.

Then you factor in law review/journal which is a considerable amount of time. Throw in moot court at some point and you have quite a year ahead of you. You can balance this out by taking easier classes but I whiffed on that one. It is really a grind, not gonna lie.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:06 pm

2l would be great except for 1. trying to get a job and having a professor that still expects you to go to every class and be prepared and 2. journal. LR made my semester miserable.

I really enjoyed 1l year despite the pressure and stress. But I'm so burnt out now

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Dec 06, 2011 2:14 pm

The classes in some ways are harder, but they made me realize just how boring 1L classes are.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:17 pm

romothesavior wrote:Depends on your job status.
+1. 1L is for gunning, 2L is for complaining, and 3L is for not giving a fck. HTH

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:58 pm

This is going to sound really dumb, but when people are doing OCI in their fall semester of 2L, is this for summer employment or actual employment for when they graduate? Obviously if its for 2L summer employment there is a hope of getting it extended, but what is the predominant purpose?

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Also, what is better.

Working PT as a paralegal (paid) throughout 1L and summer leading into 2L or interning during summer leading into 2L?

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:14 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:This is going to sound really dumb, but when people are doing OCI in their fall semester of 2L, is this for summer employment or actual employment for when they graduate? Obviously if its for 2L summer employment there is a hope of getting it extended, but what is the predominant purpose?
It's 2l summer employment that hopefully leads to a permanent offer.

To answer your second question - don't work during 1l. It's too important. It doesn't matter what you do your 1l summer as long as its something legal

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:22 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:This is going to sound really dumb, but when people are doing OCI in their fall semester of 2L, is this for summer employment or actual employment for when they graduate? Obviously if its for 2L summer employment there is a hope of getting it extended, but what is the predominant purpose?
the only way to get a job after graduation at a private firm is through a 2L summer job. the offer rates are above 90% for full time employment, except in one year when the economy crashed. if you don't get a 2L summer job, you will not work at a large private law firm. this is why 1L grades are most important, and why working during 1L is a bad idea.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:41 pm

2L is worse than 1L in my opinion. I was excited as heck to be at school my first year. I was on top of everything. 2L: i feel complacent. I know I won't find work and I feel like I'm throwing money down the toilet. The only reason I stay is because I know I can't get a job to afford my rent if I quit.

Zazelmaf

Bronze

Post by Zazelmaf » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:42 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
the only way to get a job after graduation at a private firm is through a 2L summer job. the offer rates are above 90% for full time employment, except in one year when the economy crashed. if you don't get a 2L summer job, you will not work at a large private law firm. this is why 1L grades are most important, and why working during 1L is a bad idea.
Even with stellar 1L grades you may be SOL unless you go to a good school. My grades meant nothing other than for transferring.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:46 pm

as a 2l, you don't do shit all semester, coast, and then barely study for finals. then show up and deliver what would be a D performance on your final as 1L, but get a B.

hawkeye22

Bronze

Post by hawkeye22 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm

MrPapagiorgio wrote:Shit. I really have not found 1L to be that bad.
It isn't. 2L is terrible assuming you are doing moot court, interviews, writing for a journal and/or RA work.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:10 pm

Much busier due to law review and other activities. If I just had school to worry about as I did my 1L year, I would find the work much less. I spend maybe 1/3rd of the time studying that I did my 1L year, but I have so many more things to do.

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:19 pm

People with OCI job offers in hand relax and enjoy life. People without OCI offers in hand begin to regret why they came to law school in the first place, wonder what they are continuing to do there, fantasize about the so-called "3L OCI" with the idea that since they didn't find a job at 2L OCI, where most hiring is done, they will certainly be in demand at 3L OCI, where less hiring is done.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:25 pm

MrAnon wrote:People with OCI job offers in hand relax and enjoy life. People without OCI offers in hand begin to regret why they came to law school in the first place, wonder what they are continuing to do there, fantasize about the so-called "3L OCI" with the idea that since they didn't find a job at 2L OCI, where most hiring is done, they will certainly be in demand at 3L OCI, where less hiring is done.
2L'S WITH JOBS FEAR NO OFFER PWNAGE DUE TO GRADES.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:27 pm

c3pO4 wrote:
MrAnon wrote:People with OCI job offers in hand relax and enjoy life. People without OCI offers in hand begin to regret why they came to law school in the first place, wonder what they are continuing to do there, fantasize about the so-called "3L OCI" with the idea that since they didn't find a job at 2L OCI, where most hiring is done, they will certainly be in demand at 3L OCI, where less hiring is done.
2L'S WITH JOBS FEAR NO OFFER PWNAGE DUE TO GRADES.
Lol no they don't

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FUBAR

New

Post by FUBAR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:37 pm

Veyron wrote:Sunshine. Puppy dogs.
Don't forget the lollypops!

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:47 pm

MrAnon wrote:People with OCI job offers in hand relax and enjoy life.
Lolno. Even after getting an SA, journal made this semester terrible. And I'm not really worried about being no-offered due to the massive drop my GPA is about to take, but I'm sort of worried. 2l year is worse than 1l for everybody

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:49 pm

Man, I feel like the only one that hasn't had a rough time with journal. Granted it's not LR, but I can't imagine there is such a huge difference in workload from LR to secondary journals.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:04 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
MrAnon wrote:People with OCI job offers in hand relax and enjoy life.
Lolno. Even after getting an SA, journal made this semester terrible. And I'm not really worried about being no-offered due to the massive drop my GPA is about to take, but I'm sort of worried. 2l year is worse than 1l for everybody
Not ... even ... close.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”