Step-Saver and ProCD significance Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Silver

Step-Saver and ProCD significance

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:45 pm

Step-Saver considered the buyer as the offeror and applied 2-207 to deal with the shrinkwrap terms? Under 2-207 the merchant-offeree accepted the buyer-offeror's offer by sending the goods, and therefore the additional terms in the box were treated as proposals?

ProCD was similar but the judge considered the seller as the offeror because there was only 1 document? Because it was one document the judge applied 2-204 to form the contract which made the merchant to offeror. Therefore the buyer-offeree accepted the offer upon keeping the goods and the terms within the packaging became binding?

Is this correct? You may substitute Klocek for Step-Saver.

zomginternets

Silver

Re: Step-Saver and ProCD significance

Post by zomginternets » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:49 pm

Correct for both Step-Saver and ProCD (unsure about the 2-204 thing though).

ProCD is essentially a pro-business policy decision--it's designed to enable businesses to bind consumers to shrinkwrap contracts even though it doesn't fit at all with our intuitive notions of offer/acceptance theory.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:52 pm

i'm assumign this is for contracts... procd is also a huge case in internet law, for the various concepts surrounding private regulation of web conduct via contract.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Dec 04, 2011 12:08 am

c3pO4 wrote:i'm assumign this is for contracts... procd is also a huge case in internet law, for the various concepts surrounding private regulation of web conduct via contract.
Yes, contracts.

Thank you zomginternets!

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:34 pm

zomginternets wrote: ProCD is essentially a pro-business policy decision--it's designed to enable businesses to bind consumers to shrinkwrap contracts even though it doesn't fit at all with our intuitive notions of offer/acceptance theory.
This is how I understand it as well. OP, in contrast to your understanding that there was some mechanical event that turned the seller into the offeror, it really comes down to a policy decision based on the judge (and, by endowing one party with special offeror powers, essentially giving them the upper hand).

That said, even with only two weeks to go, I find 2-207 to be a nightmare to understand.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lawschoolisfun2012

New

Post by lawschoolisfun2012 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:18 am

tag

sknight323

New

Post by sknight323 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:23 am

ProCD is so stupid...you can't return opened software.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”