Exam in a week, haven't started outlining. Screwed? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
protein

Bronze

Exam in a week, haven't started outlining. Screwed?

Post by protein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 am

Not exactly, but I have an exam the 9th and an exam the 15th + I haven't even started for the class on the 15th yet.

I did download a pretty good outline for it from outlinedepot though.

Sooo what should I do other than /killself for this class? is it even worth outlining at that point?

ph14

Gold

Re: Exam in a week, haven't started outlining. Screwed?

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:21 am

protein wrote:Not exactly, but I have an exam the 9th and an exam the 15th + I haven't even started for the class on the 15th yet.

Sooo what should I do other than /killself for this class? is it even worth outlining at that point?
Make a condensed outline.

Edit: Wait, you only have 2 exams? If so, you have plenty of time to do whatever you want to do to prepare.

sky7

Bronze

Post by sky7 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:29 am

1. Make sure outline is really good (match it with your class notes).
2. Take multiple practice tests with outline.
3. ????
4. Profit.

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:30 am

Plenty of time. Start working.

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:32 am

spondee wrote:Plenty of time. Start working.
Also, he only has two exams. Most of us here have 3 or 4.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:50 am

ph14 wrote:
protein wrote:Not exactly, but I have an exam the 9th and an exam the 15th + I haven't even started for the class on the 15th yet.

Make a condensed outline.

Edit: Wait, you only have 2 exams? If so, you have plenty of time to do whatever you want to do to prepare.
Sorry for the confusion, I have 3 exams. Another one is this upcoming Monday (which is the one I'm studying for atm)

spondee

Bronze

Post by spondee » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:11 am

So, you need to budget your time, but I still think you have enough to do well.

First, divy up your days, trying to evenly allot time to each exam. So, I'd spend the rest of today on exam 2; then Thur–Sun on exam 1; etc.

Second, figure out how to make the most of that time. You may still have enough time to outline, but it depends on how fast you are. So, if you want to outline, set aside an hour and do it. See how much you did and calculate how many more hours you'd need to finish. If it's too much, evaluate whether you can do it faster and adjust your plans.

Third, prioritize practice exams. Better to have your own outline to reference when you take them, but practice exams are more important than outlining, so don't blow all your time outlining. I'd recommend taking the first practice exam 2-3 days before each class, especially one with a model answer. That should tell you what you need to work on—either areas that you can prioritize in outlining or, better, areas that you can review using E&Es, CALI, and other simple problems. Then you can cycle between outlining, simple problems, and practice exams, refining whatever outline you have throughout.

RelativeEase

New

Post by RelativeEase » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:12 pm

3 exams 4-6 days apart?! Damn wish i had that schedule. Where do you guys go to school? I have 5 exams in 11 days, the first one was yesterday.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:20 pm

Am starting a PR outline today. Test on Tuesday. Also have 20 and 15 page papers to write before the 16th of December. You'll be fine.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:27 pm

Outlines are a means to an end, not an end in and of themselves. The big part is to really just make a small condensed guide that you can use to supplement your memory on the exam. The big part is taking practice exams. You're going to want to know the material cold more than you're going to want a nice outline, they're merely an aid and the making of them just seems to help you study and relearn the material.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Wed Nov 30, 2011 1:31 pm

Outline like crazy this week. You can slack on reading a bit since you have over 90% of the material already covered. Obviously skim it as to have an idea of what you are covering in these last 2 weeks. But this time is better spent outlining/studying, and then doing practice tests. I have an exam on the 12th for which I just started outlining the class yesterday. I'm already about 1/4 done with the class, and if I work all weekend on the outline, I will still be able to take multiple practice tests with the material fresh in my head. So don't worry. But buckle down and get it done.

NotMyRealName09

Silver

Post by NotMyRealName09 » Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:10 pm

My rule of thumb was one day per credit to outline a class, and an extra day to review, practice exams, etc. Thats studying constantly all day.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”