December 1st Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Addy

New

December 1st

Post by Addy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:27 am

What is everyone’s strategy for December 1st? Blitz local firms, aim for biglaw, focus on the school’s list or go for clerkships? Consider or forgo unpaid internships? In total how many applications will you send?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: December 1st

Post by kalvano » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:40 am

Keep in mind the December 1 deadline is only for NALP firms. You can email local firms right now that aren't NALP firms.

Addy

New

Post by Addy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:03 am

Good point. Thx.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:12 am

local firms tend to not hire until after New Year's so you have time to blitz them after finals.

Addy

New

Post by Addy » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:21 pm

Good to know. Thx.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm

Yeah, isn't it useless to do this until you have grades to show them? I know people who are all set to fire out resumes and cover letters to firms on December 1st, and I'm like, "But they don't even know what grades you'll get!" *shrug*

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:42 pm

Peg wrote:Yeah, isn't it useless to do this until you have grades to show them? I know people who are all set to fire out resumes and cover letters to firms on December 1st, and I'm like, "But they don't even know what grades you'll get!" *shrug*
Biglaw firms get so many resumes for a few 1L positions that if you don't apply around Dec 1 and have no connections, you have almost no chance if you apply once your grades are out. Firms will basically look at resumes and split them up into groups based on who they like and once grades are out, interview from the group of resumes they liked. Some firms will actually interview you before grades are out and then send offers contingent on your grades.

It's still possible to get a Biglaw SA if you apply after grades with no connections if you're going to a top school with top grades. But you need to consider that the vast majority of the available 1L SA positions have already been filled at this point b/c most of them are filled based on connections kids have.

zomginternets

Silver

Post by zomginternets » Tue Nov 29, 2011 9:59 pm

Addy wrote:What is everyone’s strategy for December 1st? Blitz local firms, aim for biglaw, focus on the school’s list or go for clerkships? Consider or forgo unpaid internships? In total how many applications will you send?
Unpaid internships are the norm.. do not forgo.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:10 pm

lol at getting a 1L biglaw job through mass mailing

By all means, get your mail merge ready. You may get a free informational meeting or lunch out of it. Unless you are from the south and from a T14. Then maaayyybeee....

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:17 pm

So, just to be clear, if you want to waste time trying to get a 1L SA, do you have no shot if you don't mass mail on Dec 1st? I was figuring I'd wait until grades come out and see if I even have a shot.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:31 pm

ran12 wrote:
Peg wrote:Yeah, isn't it useless to do this until you have grades to show them? I know people who are all set to fire out resumes and cover letters to firms on December 1st, and I'm like, "But they don't even know what grades you'll get!" *shrug*
Biglaw firms get so many resumes for a few 1L positions that if you don't apply around Dec 1 and have no connections, you have almost no chance if you apply once your grades are out. Firms will basically look at resumes and split them up into groups based on who they like and once grades are out, interview from the group of resumes they liked. Some firms will actually interview you before grades are out and then send offers contingent on your grades.

It's still possible to get a Biglaw SA if you apply after grades with no connections if you're going to a top school with top grades. But you need to consider that the vast majority of the available 1L SA positions have already been filled at this point b/c most of them are filled based on connections kids have.
I see. So let's say I'm at a T30 and have had very little success with networking, would you say I had better write some attention-grabbing cover letters in the next two days?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:49 pm

There Are so many 1L summer employment threads already, why didn't you just post this there? We are all talking about the dec 1 deadlines

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:02 pm

ilovesf wrote:There Are so many 1L summer employment threads already, why didn't you just post this there? We are all talking about the dec 1 deadlines
I think my question was relevant to the OP's question.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:07 pm

Peg wrote:
ran12 wrote:

I see. So let's say I'm at a T30 and have had very little success with networking, would you say I had better write some attention-grabbing cover letters in the next two days?
Yea. It's gonna be basically your only chance at a 1L SA w/ a biglaw firm. There could still be a possibility of a SA w/ a mid or small sized firm that you can apply to after New Year's but considering the job market, you gotta do everything you can to make sure you have opportunities even if it seems like it would be a waste of time to try applying.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:26 pm

Peg wrote:
ilovesf wrote:There Are so many 1L summer employment threads already, why didn't you just post this there? We are all talking about the dec 1 deadlines
I think my question was relevant to the OP's question.
I meant OP :)

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Tue Nov 29, 2011 11:37 pm

Gotcha.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Nov 30, 2011 5:28 pm

Yeah, I remember in the summer when people said to polish up your cover letters and resumes for Dec. 1 mass mailing - advice I didn't bother with and instead read GTM without understanding anything.

I have zero time to think about that crap now - hoping this is like applying in August to law schools.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”