Anyone else disappointed how overly practical LS is? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bronx Bum

Bronze

Anyone else disappointed how overly practical LS is?

Post by Bronx Bum » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I feel like there's not enough stress on scholarship. Sure, we are learning how to practice (i.e. reading cases and analyzing them) but we need a foundation. Instead of "thinking like a lawyer" on 1L exams, we should be learning the foundations and the history of the law. Scholarship is the single most important element of real practice. We need to know the law through scholarship. Basically, like they tell us to use secondary sources first in LRW. Finals should consist of papers, etc. even if it is still curved. Brian Leiter said recently that judges and lawyers often turn to him on controversial aspects of the law. Scholars always have insight and are the source of all practitioner's legal work. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but law school is too practical. Why do we need to be ready to practice law after 1L? No idea.

ph14

Gold

Re: Anyone else disappointed how overly practical LS is?

Post by ph14 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Bronx Bum wrote:I feel like there's not enough stress on scholarship. Sure, we are learning how to practice (i.e. reading cases and analyzing them) but we need a foundation. Instead of "thinking like a lawyer" on 1L exams, we should be learning the foundations and the history of the law. Scholarship is the single most important element of real practice. We need to know the law through scholarship. Basically, like they tell us to use secondary sources first in LRW. Finals should consist of papers, etc. even if it is still curved. Brian Leiter said recently that judges and lawyers often turn to him on controversial aspects of the law. Scholars always have insight and are the source of all practitioner's legal work. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but law school is too practical. Why do we need to be ready to practice law after 1L? No idea.

joemoviebuff

Silver

Post by joemoviebuff » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:16 pm

Notsureifserious

fathergoose

Silver

Post by fathergoose » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
Bronx Bum wrote:I feel like there's not enough stress on scholarship. Sure, we are learning how to practice (i.e. reading cases and analyzing them) but we need a foundation. Instead of "thinking like a lawyer" on 1L exams, we should be learning the foundations and the history of the law. Scholarship is the single most important element of real practice. We need to know the law through scholarship. Basically, like they tell us to use secondary sources first in LRW. Finals should consist of papers, etc. even if it is still curved. Brian Leiter said recently that judges and lawyers often turn to him on controversial aspects of the law. Scholars always have insight and are the source of all practitioner's legal work. Maybe I'm alone on this one, but law school is too practical. Why do we need to be ready to practice law after 1L? No idea.
too generous

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NeighborGuy

Bronze

Post by NeighborGuy » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:20 pm

Notsureifserious either, but I'll take a shot anyway.

I'm guessing because most lawyers will only ever deal with practical matters. I mean really, how many of us are going to have to deal with issues that require a deep, thorough knowledge of legal history and theory? Are clients going to storm into our offices demanding we explain the nuances of the old English ordeal system? Probably not, they're going to want us to know to make rain for them.

Also, how many of us actually care? Not me. We do need scholars for those heavy questions, but we don't need an army of them; just a few for the rest of us to consult every once in a lifetime.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:23 pm

Shitty troll is shitty.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:24 pm

fathergoose wrote:
ph14 wrote:
too generous

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:09 pm

I actually question the underlying premise that law school should be more "practical." There's some changes I could see being really effective, for example: (1) Switch LRW from all litigation to one semester litigation and one semester transactional and (2) drop property as a 1L course and replace it with corporations/business organizations. Further, law school should probably be two years. However, overall, the idea that the whole case method should be dropped and that the classes should be all about learning to practice is dubious. It's very difficult, extremely boring, and inefficient to try to teach "practical" shit in the classroom.

The recent NYT article unintentionally highlighted the problem with trying to teach practice in the classroom. An attorney asks some first year associates, "What steps do you take to accomplish a merger?" (already a question so open-ended that it's virtually unanswerable). The answer: "draft a certificate of merger and file it with the secretary of state." If you think law school is boring now, imagine how boring it would be if we spent all our time learning which documents we need to file with whom.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

biglaw$

New

Post by biglaw$ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:14 pm

bk187 wrote:Shitty troll is shitty.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:23 pm

An attorney asks some first year associates, "What steps do you take to accomplish a merger?" (already a question so open-ended that it's virtually unanswerable). The answer: "draft a certificate of merger and file it with the secretary of state."
The part of me that wanted to go to law school just died a little.

BlueDiamond

Silver

Post by BlueDiamond » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:43 pm

I'm disappointed with law school in general

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:51 pm

NeighborGuy wrote:Notsureifserious either, but I'll take a shot anyway.

I'm guessing because most lawyers will only ever deal with practical matters. I mean really, how many of us are going to have to deal with issues that require a deep, thorough knowledge of legal history and theory? Are clients going to storm into our offices demanding we explain the nuances of the old English ordeal system? Probably not, they're going to want us to know to make rain for them.

Also, how many of us actually care? Not me. We do need scholars for those heavy questions, but we don't need an army of them; just a few for the rest of us to consult every once in a lifetime.
whoosh

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:25 am

ph14 wrote:
lol

snailio

Bronze

Post by snailio » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:27 am

Jesus you guys are really bored, must be the Turkey hangova.

wiseowl

Silver

Post by wiseowl » Sun Nov 27, 2011 2:28 am

still touching that shithole bro?

mrloblaw

Silver

Post by mrloblaw » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:08 am

This one had me until the last word of the first sentence. That's got to be at least a 150.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

downing

Bronze

Post by downing » Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:05 am

Law school is fine the way it is, except that it needs to be one year shorter.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:05 pm

downing wrote:Law school is fine the way it is, except that it needs to be one year shorter.

+1 The length of undergrad and law school = racket.

It's such bullshit that students are having to go into all this debt when post high school education could be cut in half.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:37 pm

downing wrote:Law school is fine the way it is, except that it needs to be one year shorter.
+1,000

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 6:42 pm

I hate that no matter how ridiculous it is, it will never be changed, because "that's how law school has always been."

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:49 am

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:

It's such bullshit that students are having to go into all this debt when post high school education could be cut in half.
Barrier of entry would be too low then. Can't make big salary that way.

Ernert

Bronze

Post by Ernert » Mon Nov 28, 2011 3:04 am

joemoviebuff wrote:Image
I enjoyed this picture.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:40 am

Bronx Bum wrote:Instead of "thinking like a lawyer" on 1L exams, we should be learning the foundations and the history of the law. Scholarship is the single most important element of real practice. We need to know the law through scholarship.
This is by far my favorite part of the post because of how hilariously out-of-touch with reality it is.

If you're a troll: 173

If you're serious, someone should ban you before you do real harm to a clueless 0L.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:28 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:

Barrier of entry would be too low then. Can't make big salary that way.
huh? There's not "barrier of entry" as it is.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”