Knowledge "tidbits" for points on exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BeachedBrit

Bronze

Knowledge "tidbits" for points on exam

Post by BeachedBrit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:37 am

Let me preface by saying professor has never taught a class anywhere, ever so there are no old tests to base my understanding off, so I'm just looking for what the majority thinks...

Are little tidbits of info that probably aren't that important (assuming hypos will be fictional places etc.) worth extra points on exams?

For example: In terms of Horizontal Privity -> Mutual Privity: "Mass. + few other states interpretation from Spencer's case recognized this form of horizontal privity"

Interested exclusively in the part in quotations above...thoughts?

spondee

Bronze

Re: Knowledge "tidbits" for points on exam

Post by spondee » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:48 am

You won't get points unless it affects the interpretation of the fact pattern and you explain how.

BeachedBrit

Bronze

Post by BeachedBrit » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Perfect, thanks!

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:00 pm

spondee wrote:You won't get points unless it affects the interpretation of the fact pattern and you explain how.
I disagree. Some profs take the "don't waste my time with extraneous law" approach while others seem to be very impressed by answers that can somehow - regardless of how tertiary and irrelevant - add every single minute point from the class. Depends on the prof... ask her.

5ky

Diamond

Post by 5ky » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:06 pm

I think the most important thing to determine whether or not it could be a good idea (other than asking the professor), is whether or not this "tidbit" was ever (1) mentioned in class, (2) mentioned in a case, (3) mentioned in the notes or elsewhere in the casebook or any other books the professor requires or recommends.

I would be at least somewhat wary of adding additional information that is not derived from any of the above three categories for the following reason: the professor has likely given careful thought to what exactly they want to cover in the class, and have specifically chosen not to include this particular material. Because on a typical issue spotter nobody will spot/discuss ALL of the issues, that means you are sacrificing issues that the professor finds more important for one that you found in a hornbook, etc.

However, if it's in the reading somewhere or mentioned even tangentially in class, I think it's definitely a good thing to toss on the page, if you can tie it in relevantly.

But overall, TCR is asking the professor.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”