I spent all semester learning how to write a law school exam Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Breezin

New

I spent all semester learning how to write a law school exam

Post by Breezin » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:21 pm

but I didn't learn any law. Whoops.

cinephile

Gold

Re: I spent all semester learning how to write a law school exam

Post by cinephile » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:23 pm

Well, you have a couple weeks. Might be enough.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:26 pm

I spent all semester learning the law but not how to write a law school exam!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm

Come back in three years, change the appropriate lengths of time, and you'll be all good. You don't learn the law in law school.

Younger Abstention

Bronze

Post by Younger Abstention » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:30 pm

You only need like 48 hours to learn the law for any given 1L class.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:33 pm

Breezin wrote:but I didn't learn any law. Whoops.
How can you write a practice exam without knowing any law?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:40 pm

Younger Abstention wrote:You only need like 48 hours to learn the law for any given 1L class.
This just isn't true. haha... I'm not saying you need to pour over every letter and every fact but I don't think cramming an entire semester is possible. Unless it's like...(1) Torts and (2) you're a genius.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:44 pm

bartleby wrote:
Younger Abstention wrote:You only need like 48 hours to learn the law for any given 1L class.
This just isn't true. haha... I'm not saying you need to pour over every letter and every fact but I don't think cramming an entire semester is possible. Unless it's like...(1) Torts and (2) you're a genius.
I dunno... It seems possible, but I also have a pretty easy courseload this semester (Torts, Crim, Property). I think it could all be learned over one long weekend.

From looking through outlines on Civ Pro and Ks it looks like it'll take a bit more time though. (It's going to be a lot of fun next semester... :roll: )

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:47 pm

NYC Law wrote:
bartleby wrote:
I dunno... It seems possible, but I also have a pretty easy courseload this semester (Torts, Crim, Property). I think it could all be learned over one long weekend.

From looking through outlines on Civ Pro and Ks it looks like it'll take a bit more time though. (It's going to be a lot of fun next semester... :roll: )
You only take 3 doctrinal classes per semester?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:48 pm

bdubs wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
bartleby wrote:

You only take 3 doctrinal classes per semester?
Yeah. We have a 5 credit torts class, 5 credit prop class, 3 credits of crim (and it's taught just like an UG class so most people have been blowing it off). Then a year long LRW class worth 3 credits for the year.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:49 pm

We take only 3 substantive courses per semester too. I heard Property and Con. Law (I actually don't know what Con. stands for) are hard as balls.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

NYC Law wrote: Yeah. We have a 5 credit torts class, 5 credit prop class, 3 credits of crim (and it's taught just like an UG class so most people have been blowing it off). Then a year long LRW class worth 3 credits for the year.
Wow. I didn't realize there was that much variation between schools. At Northwestern we take 4 doctrinal courses per semester during 1L, each are 3 credits. Our LRW is graded and is 2 credits per semester.

I think the difficulty of courses seems to be determined more by your professor and less by the subject matter (since we're all graded on a relative scale). Property is probably the most difficult course from a subject matter perspective, but I haven't taken con law or crim yet.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

We have Con Law (3 credits), Crim Law (3 credits), Torts (4 credits), Contracts (3 credits) and LRW (2 credits - graded).

LRW is the most work though, then Con law... Go figure.
Last edited by Extension_Cord on Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:
bartleby wrote:

Ks isn't too bad but Civ Pro sucks.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:55 pm

bartleby wrote:We take only 3 substantive courses per semester too. I heard Property and Con. Law (I actually don't know what Con. stands for) are hard as balls.
Constitutional (which we luckily don't have to take until 2L).

Property seems really hard with most law professors. But luckily ours is very clear, and supposedly only tests what he teaches in lecture. He does a great job of clarifying the law instead of just calling on people all class, and all semester he's been giving us practice problems and teaching us how to write an exam. Not that any of this matters too much since it will just result in a tighter curve, but it does make learning it all much quicker and easier.
I think the difficulty of courses seems to be determined more by your professor and less by the subject matter (since we're all graded on a relative scale). Property is probably the most difficult course from a subject matter perspective, but I haven't taken con law or crim yet.
Definitely this. As stated above, the class with the most difficult substance is actually my easiest class because of the teacher. And my class with the easiest substance (torts) is incredibly difficult because the professor is a true academic - he just rambles all class and call on people the entire time without ever clarifying anything.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:56 pm

drmguy wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
bartleby wrote:

Ks isn't too bad but Civ Pro sucks.
Great, I have Civ Pro next semester too.

Any recommended supplements?

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:59 pm

Please do yourself a favor and first find out if your professor has a preferred one. Some of my professors suggested a few but I looked through them after week 2 or so and found that one of my professors literally teaches from one of the supplements and never mentions anything else.

No supplement will be better than the one your professor treats as a bible.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:04 pm

drmguy wrote:Please do yourself a favor and first find out if your professor has a preferred one. Some of my professors suggested a few but I looked through them after week 2 or so and found that one of my professors literally teaches from one of the supplements and never mentions anything else.

Barring this, the go-to supplement seems to be Glannon's E&E.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:08 pm

bdubs wrote:
drmguy wrote:Please do yourself a favor and first find out if your professor has a preferred one. Some of my professors suggested a few but I looked through them after week 2 or so and found that one of my professors literally teaches from one of the supplements and never mentions anything else.

My civ pro professor didn't have a preferred one, but I feel so strongly about finding your professor's preferred supplement that I won't even suggest one.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:17 pm

drmguy wrote:
bdubs wrote:

My civ pro professor didn't have a preferred one, but I feel so strongly about finding your professor's preferred supplement that I won't even suggest one.
This is true. My teachers generally teach from E&Es. One teaches just entirely from the textbook milking all of the notes that noone reads, fortunately for me...

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:24 pm

This is what happened to me. I haven't done anything...

Good thing most tests are open book. Hopefully if I can spot the issues, then not knowing all the rules by heart will be ok if I tab my outlines...

Anyone taken this approach?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Nov 18, 2011 7:58 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:We have Con Law (3 credits), Crim Law (3 credits), Torts (4 credits), Contracts (3 credits) and LRW (2 credits - graded).

LRW is the most work though, then Con law... Go figure.
# of credits has no correlation to work involved

important lesson to learn in lawl school
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:14 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:I spent all semester learning the law but not how to write a law school exam!

Sadly, me too :(
Knowing the law wont' do squat if you don't know how to apply and exemplify it.

DrGuano

Bronze

Post by DrGuano » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:42 pm

NYC Law wrote:
bartleby wrote:We take only 3 substantive courses per semester too. I heard Property and Con. Law (I actually don't know what Con. stands for) are hard as balls.
Constitutional (which we luckily don't have to take until 2L).

Property seems really hard with most law professors. But luckily ours is very clear, and supposedly only tests what he teaches in lecture. He does a great job of clarifying the law instead of just calling on people all class, and all semester he's been giving us practice problems and teaching us how to write an exam. Not that any of this matters too much since it will just result in a tighter curve, but it does make learning it all much quicker and easier.
Definitely this. As stated above, the class with the most difficult substance is actually my easiest class because of the teacher. And my class with the easiest substance (torts) is incredibly difficult because the professor is a true academic - he just rambles all class and call on people the entire time without ever clarifying anything.
You're a Fordhamer eh? Con Law was a great class. Sucks they're making you take Leg Reg and then another required class 2L/3L. Oh well. Lucky I made the cut off before that happened.

ect88

New

Post by ect88 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:28 pm

bdubs wrote:

The CivPro E&E is phenomenal. I recommend it even if your professor doesn't use it as a bible, because you'll still get a great grasp of most CivPro concepts.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”