Outlines Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
johansantana21

Silver

Outlines

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Did you find that making them was better or using an old one for your class and adding onto it?

Peg

Bronze

Re: Outlines

Post by Peg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:26 pm

I'm making my Crim Law outline now...it's exhausting, but GTM told me too.

FWIW I do think it's sinking into my head better. What I'm doing is this:

Step 1: Read all class notes for Chapter X.
Step 2: Read E&E for Chapter X.
Step 3: Read Chapter X section from an outline a 2L gave me (she had the same Crim Law prof).
Step 4: Pause, think back and absorb it all.
Step 5: Create outline for Chapter x, in own words.

I like this method, but I'm EXHAUSTED.

I'd like to ask the 2Ls and 3Ls: at this point in the semester, is this a wise way to spend my time? Exams start a week and a half into December.

Edited for spelling fail.
Last edited by Peg on Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

johansantana21

Silver

Post by johansantana21 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 pm

Yeah. I got outlines from student organizations for my classes. They seem pretty comprehensive.

Not sure if I should just make an outline for the process but use these because they seem a lot clearer.

Peg

Bronze

Post by Peg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:41 pm

Remember to edit them...your professor may have changed emphasis this year.

Also, I found out that one LSA outline was flat out wrong on some key concepts, like the person who had typed them was stoned when he did it. FACT CHECK each outline you get.

goosey

Gold

Post by goosey » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:31 pm

have always been far too paranoid to use other peoples outlines..I also learn better through the process-make connections, etc..so oftentimes while I am outlining later topics, I will see something that makes an interesting connection to something we covered earlier [and that I outlined earlier] and go back and add it it hoping for bonus exam points for seeing the big picture. there are no guarantees that whoever's outline you have made the same connections as you would.

if you're a 1L this is your first semester and I def think you should do your own outlines. I am [for teh first time] using somebody else's outline for a class this semester and its because its a pass/fail class---if I get a C, it doesnt matter. But for classes where my grade matters, I am absolutely doing my own outlines. Nobody ever gets the best grade in the class by being lazy :) true there is a balance between studying hard and studying smart, but really, first semester of 1L nobody even knows what it means to study smart yet, so just study hard and make all your own study aids.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”