Did you take Kaplan's Illinois bar review course? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
carlitos

New

Did you take Kaplan's Illinois bar review course?

Post by carlitos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:53 pm

I'm going to be taking an online course to study for the IL bar, and I'm trying to decide between Kaplan and Themis. I was leaning toward Themis since it claims to have a 93% pass rate and is ~$500 cheaper, but now I might be able to get a free Kaplan review course (by being a student rep for the school). A free course sounds great, but not if it's going to be crappy. Has anyone taken Kaplan's (or Themis's, I guess) bar review course within the past year or two? I gather that they've really improved it in recent years, but I wonder if it still leaves something to be desired.

Thanks!

ToTransferOrNot

Gold

Re: Did you take Kaplan's Illinois bar review course?

Post by ToTransferOrNot » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:55 pm

Your choice of bar prep course is not going to determine whether you pass the bar. They have their differences, but at the end of the day, they all cover basically the same stuff, and an overwhelming majority of people pass the test. If you're footing the bill for it yourself, then you should do Kaplan.

Also, lolirony at a Kaplan rep wondering if the courses s/he hocks are good enough for their own bar prep;)

carlitos

New

Re: Did you take Kaplan's Illinois bar review course?

Post by carlitos » Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:04 pm

Haha, no no--I meant that I was just invited to sign on as a rep, but I want to make sure that the course is good first (since you get the bar review course instead of a salary). I think/hope you're right about it mainly depending how how hard you're willing to work, though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”