Should I stop going to class? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Verity

Silver

Should I stop going to class?

Post by Verity » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:16 pm

I feel like at this point I should just stop going to class and start reading on my own. I often feel like class is a waste of time, and the professors take forever to say what my supplements will say in a couple of sentences. Anyone have any good experience with this?

Ostrizr316

New

Re: Should I stop going to class?

Post by Ostrizr316 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:21 pm

You should be doing your reading on your own anyway. Class should supplement that.

While class can be a lot of the professor working through material that you might already have a good grasp on, it will also show you what that professor finds interesting/ relevant/ important/ likely to be on the exam. Gilberts isnt writing and grading your exam, so relying solely on that would be a big mistake.

lbeezy

Gold

Post by lbeezy » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:16 pm

Ostrizr316 wrote:You should be doing your reading on your own anyway. Class should supplement that.

While class can be a lot of the professor working through material that you might already have a good grasp on, it will also show you what that professor finds interesting/ relevant/ important/ likely to be on the exam. Gilberts isnt writing and grading your exam, so relying solely on that would be a big mistake.
This cannot be emphasized enough.

DebtandTaxes

New

Post by DebtandTaxes » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:09 am

Definitely stop going to class. If you cannot see the inherent value in going to class, you are probably so far off track that going to class won't help you anyway. :D

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:42 am

Go to class. There are times (even if they are rare) when a prof will tip his hand, or will say something interesting that isn't in a supplement. You'll want to be there for that.

But otherwise, I do agree that class is worthless in a lot of ways.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Fedorov91

New

Post by Fedorov91 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:04 pm

DebtandTaxes wrote:Definitely stop going to class. If you cannot see the inherent value in going to class, you are probably so far off track that going to class won't help you anyway. :D
I go to class and my reading notes, and briefs have all the information that is on the slides, one class prof just reads slides and the other just rambles. There are a few that I don't want to miss and others I will find any excuse to miss

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 pm

One of my professor just follows the E&E. That's the only class I would consider missing. Otherwise, there are too many nuances of what the professors say and what they focus on in class. I'd stop reading before I'd stop going to class.

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:41 pm

It really depends on your professor.

waxecstatic

Bronze

Post by waxecstatic » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:05 pm

Verity wrote:I feel like at this point I should just stop going to class and start reading on my own. I often feel like class is a waste of time, and the professors take forever to say what my supplements will say in a couple of sentences. Anyone have any good experience with this?
I totally feel this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:53 pm

Its a really big gamble. I stopped reading and going to class for crim and ended up with an A but I had, umm, a unique situation (My prof was horrendous, taught straight out of the supplement, and I would have bet my savings account that he did not know a good amount of the material himself and learned it as we went).

Its too big of a gamble if your prof at all knows what he is talking about. Go to class and work on your outline whenever you feel the prof is on a tangent or others are asking pointless questions.

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:04 pm

who cares, there aren't any jobs anyway

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:13 pm

MTal wrote:who cares, there aren't any jobs anyway
TITCR.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:38 pm

two of my friends skipped class today, and today the professor randomly decided to go over the exam for 30 minutes, give tips, tell us how he likes exams questions answered, etc. i'm not sure if they regret missing class, but i know i'm sure happy i didn't skip.

WSJ_Law

Bronze

Post by WSJ_Law » Wed Nov 02, 2011 9:32 pm

MTal wrote:who cares, there aren't any jobs anyway
LOL

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”