Is consideration really unimportant? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
agathos

New

Is consideration really unimportant?

Post by agathos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:48 pm

My K professor said he will only use very little time to teach consideration-like half hour...He said consideration is an unimportant. He also will use little time to teach estoppel. It seems like very bizarre. He is a new professor who never teach before....

law4vus

Silver

Re: Is consideration really unimportant?

Post by law4vus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:50 pm

We spent like a month on consideration lol. Whatever, just learn what the professor feels like teaching because he's the one writing the exam!

agathos

New

Post by agathos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:51 pm

law4vus wrote:We spent like a month on consideration lol. Whatever, just learn what the professor feels like teaching because he's the one writing the exam!
I know I should only care what he teach. However, I hate that. It looks like I pay money learn nothing... He only read case book for me ..

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:55 pm

agathos wrote:
law4vus wrote:We spent like a month on consideration lol. Whatever, just learn what the professor feels like teaching because he's the one writing the exam!
I know I should only care what he teach. However, I hate that. It looks like I pay money learn nothing... He only read case book for me ..
All I can tell you is that if you really want to know about consideration and estoppel, then use the E and Es and learn it on your own. Neither are overly complicated concepts but I wouldn't call them unimportant.

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:57 pm

agathos wrote:My K professor said he will only use very little time to teach consideration-like half hour...He said consideration is an unimportant. He also will use little time to teach estoppel. It seems like very bizarre. He is a new professor who never teach before....
Dude...I just looked at your post history, where the fuck do you go to law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:58 pm

agathos wrote:
Who cares? Nothing you learn in law school really makes a difference.

agathos

New

Post by agathos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:59 pm

law4vus wrote:
agathos wrote:
All I can tell you is that if you really want to know about consideration and estoppel, then use the E and Es and learn it on your own. Neither are overly complicated concepts but I wouldn't call them unimportant.
Yes, I already did that. However, I want something deep than that. I really like K...I think it is very interesting. That is why I care this so much...So I just read the hornbook by myself?...

agathos

New

Post by agathos » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:00 pm

romothesavior wrote:
agathos wrote:
Yes, I know that~ :P

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Umm...yes, consideration is important.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:29 pm

I think it depends on the professor. It's so crazy, my friend at Emory said UCC is useless in K's but my professor has the biggest boner for UCC.

thedive

Bronze

Post by thedive » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:19 am

bartleby wrote:I think it depends on the professor. It's so crazy, my friend at Emory said UCC is useless in K's but my professor has the biggest boner for UCC.
Same here, we spent considerable time just on 2-207.

bhan87

Silver

Post by bhan87 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:25 am

My professor spent a long time on consideration, estoppel, and 2-207.

He's skipping the entire chapter on Statute of Frauds.

I think it really depends on the professor, so study accordingly. The E&E for Contracts has very long chapters for the topics it covers, but some may not warrant a detailed study.

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:45 am

I don't think there is a single chapter when we haven't spent extensive time in the Rest or UCC. My outline is like half super-concise paraphrasing of relevant Rest and UCC sections. Meanwhile in most of my other classes, we haven't touched a Rest.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:12 am

thedive wrote:
bartleby wrote:I think it depends on the professor. It's so crazy, my friend at Emory said UCC is useless in K's but my professor has the biggest boner for UCC.
Same here, we spent considerable time just on 2-207.
We didn't even get to 2-207. Our professor had it scheduled for the last day, but we got behind and didn't even cover it.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:14 am

romothesavior wrote:
agathos wrote:

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:43 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Umm...yes, consideration is important.
It's really not that important. It's one of those old rules that's easy to test because it makes for good problems. However, many commentators think it's a useless rule in practice. Further, in real business transactions, it very rarely comes up. It's not surprising that a young professor would choose not to spend much time on it.

Edit: Wow, in doing a quick Westlaw search to inflate my ego, I came across what has to be the weirdest law review article ever written: 75 Cornell L. Rev. 987. The first footnote is just... amazing.

gothamm

Silver

Post by gothamm » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:00 am

SilverE2 wrote:
agathos wrote:My K professor said he will only use very little time to teach consideration-like half hour...He said consideration is an unimportant. He also will use little time to teach estoppel. It seems like very bizarre. He is a new professor who never teach before....
Dude...I just looked at your post history, where the fuck do you go to law school?
lol...

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Oct 25, 2011 5:26 pm

Bronte wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:Umm...yes, consideration is important.
It's really not that important. It's one of those old rules that's easy to test because it makes for good problems. However, many commentators think it's a useless rule in practice. Further, in real business transactions, it very rarely comes up. It's not surprising that a young professor would choose not to spend much time on it.

Edit: Wow, in doing a quick Westlaw search to inflate my ego, I came across what has to be the weirdest law review article ever written: 75 Cornell L. Rev. 987. The first footnote is just... amazing.
It doesn't come up in real life because every lawyer knows about it and knows that you need it for a valid contract. In the case that you get a lawyer like OP who had a prof that didn't teach consideration, yes, it would become important rather quickly.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Oct 25, 2011 7:16 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:It doesn't come up in real life because every lawyer knows about it and knows that you need it for a valid contract. In the case that you get a lawyer like OP who had a prof that didn't teach consideration, yes, it would become important rather quickly.
That's not the only or even the primary reason it doesn't come up in real life. It's also because the doctrine of consideration has been whittled down to a stub by courts and legislatures over the years. It's also because in the vast majority of commercial contexts, parties are naturally going to make mutually beneficial promises based on the forces of self-interest.

As to lawyers like OP not learning consideration, it would be just one in an infinite array of critical doctrines that you don't learn in law school. How do lawyers get by without learning these doctrines? They research them, or they're taught to them by more senior lawyers. For example, if OP were told to structure a contract, he would look up "requirements of a contract" in, say, American Jurisprudence. He would then learn that there's this archaic doctrine called consideration that he should keep an eye on. It's really not that important.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:22 pm

Bronte wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:It doesn't come up in real life because every lawyer knows about it and knows that you need it for a valid contract. In the case that you get a lawyer like OP who had a prof that didn't teach consideration, yes, it would become important rather quickly.
That's not the only or even the primary reason it doesn't come up in real life. It's also because the doctrine of consideration has been whittled down to a stub by courts and legislatures over the years. It's also because in the vast majority of commercial contexts, parties are naturally going to make mutually beneficial promises based on the forces of self-interest.

As to lawyers like OP not learning consideration, it would be just one in an infinite array of critical doctrines that you don't learn in law school. How do lawyers get by without learning these doctrines? They research them, or they're taught to them by more senior lawyers. For example, if OP were told to structure a contract, he would look up "requirements of a contract" in, say, American Jurisprudence. He would then learn that there's this archaic doctrine called consideration that he should keep an eye on. It's really not that important.
Yes, in a commercial context there will certainly be consideration 99.99999% of the time and thus you won't need to use it. To say that this is a valid reason for not learning an essential element to a contract is pretty bad.

Essentially you're second paragraph says that because he can research the requirements to a contract later his prof has an excuse to not teach him consideration now. I doubt I need to explain why this is problematic.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:09 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Yes, in a commercial context there will certainly be consideration 99.99999% of the time and thus you won't need to use it. To say that this is a valid reason for not learning an essential element to a contract is pretty bad.

Essentially you're second paragraph says that because he can research the requirements to a contract later his prof has an excuse to not teach him consideration now. I doubt I need to explain why this is problematic.
It's only an "essential element of a contract" in name. There's probably more exceptions to the doctrine then there are circumstances where it applies. Further, to call something that's only relevant 0.00% percent of the time (rounding to the hundredth) "essential" is oxymoronic.

Your second paragraph is just a conclusory statement that you're right, so it's hard to address. Although I'm not one to claim that you don't learn anything of practical value in law school, I do think that the main point of the classes is not to learn the substantive law on a practical level. The purpose is to gain a broad understanding of certain core areas of the law, to learn a certain form of critical thinking, and to learn certain technical skills.

Probably the best argument as to why consideration should be taught, which I'll make for you, is that it's a famous doctrine that attorneys might expect you to know. This will be because they learned it, not because it's particularly important.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:33 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Man, I'm going to go through life with breathing problems 0.00% of the time (rounding to the nearest hundredth), but that shit's still essential. Same for my truck's drive train. Just because something is infrequently encountered doesn't mean it stops being an essential element of the system.

Although I agree that it seems that the vast, vast majority of commercial contract situations will have almost zero time dedicated to consideration, you overstate your case.
The 0.00% of the time thing was mostly a joke. The rest of my argument is right there, waiting to be addressed in even a vaguely coherent manner.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:43 pm

The basics of consideration aren't that damn complicated. Also, with promissory estoppel it seems like there aren't very many unenforceable promises that people would bother suing over in the first place.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:47 pm

Nightrunner wrote:Like I said, I largely agree with you; from my limited experience and perspective, it seems that consideration is irrelevant (or borderline irrelevant) in almost all commercial contracts. You just overstated it.

Although if we leave "big time lawyer$" aside for a moment, I imagine there are plenty of situations in non-merchant contracts (e.g., contracts between family members) where ignoring consideration would be mind-numbingly poor lawyering.
Yeah I'll concede that the 0.00% argument was frivolous. As to the non-big law argument, I think there's dozens of more important reasons that a fresh JD should not attempt to practice without supervision than that he didn't thoroughly learn consideration in law school, which is something that one can easily learn.

For example, he could learn it by reading this article: 75 Cornell L. Rev. 987. But seriously NR, please read the first three footnotes of that article. It's really worth it in an lol kind of way.

MC Southstar

Silver

Post by MC Southstar » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:01 pm

I'm not sure consideration is really that important in practice since I've seen nominal consideration in use all the time in stuff I've worked on, but maybe that is just an exception.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”