Do I need to buy a suit? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Extension_Cord

Silver

Do I need to buy a suit?

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:29 pm

I see 2 and 3Ls walking around campus in suits occassionally, I figured its just for OCI, but is there any situations as a 1L when we will need a suit? Im broke and want to put it off as long as possible.

Helmholtz

Gold

Re: Do I need to buy a suit?

Post by Helmholtz » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:31 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:I see 2 and 3Ls walking around campus in suits occassionally, I figured its just for OCI, but is there any situations as a 1L when we will need a suit? Im broke and want to put it off as long as possible.
Probably will need it when you're trying to line up a 1L summer job, although possibly not. Almost certainly will need it before next summer starts (so yeah, probably need to buy one before 1L ends).

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:33 pm

Extension_Cord wrote:I see 2 and 3Ls walking around campus in suits occassionally, I figured its just for OCI, but is there any situations as a 1L when we will need a suit? Im broke and want to put it off as long as possible.
Firm receptions. But really, what sort of man doesn't own a suit?

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:43 pm

You will need a suit when you interview for a summer job (interviews usually start sometime between January and March). So yes, you will need a suit soon.

Suits are also needed for some networking events, but as a 1L, I did not need a suit till early in the second semester for job interviews and informational interviews.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:51 pm

Veyron wrote:
A young man.

But yes, OP, if you can afford it, get a suit. There may be an occasion or two for wearing it before OCI, and you really ought to have one.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:56 pm

Renzo wrote:
Veyron wrote:
A young man.

But yes, OP, if you can afford it, get a suit. There may be an occasion or two for wearing it before OCI, and you really ought to have one.
Where's the best place to get a suit for a 1L? Macys? How much are they?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:00 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Veyron wrote:
A young man.

Where's the best place to get a suit for a 1L? Macys? How much are they?
Here's 121 pages of everything you could ever want to know.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:28 am

Renzo wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote: Where's the best place to get a suit for a 1L? Macys? How much are they?
The short answer though is no, not Macys. JAB on a good sale (a real sale, make sure it is one of their better ones), or Brooks Brothers on sale would be a good choice. Avoid Men's Wearhouse.

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:47 am

Bosque wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Extension_Cord wrote: Where's the best place to get a suit for a 1L? Macys? How much are they?
The short answer though is no, not Macys. JAB on a good sale (a real sale, make sure it is one of their better ones), or Brooks Brothers on sale would be a good choice. Avoid Men's Wearhouse.
JAB has a sale right now according to their site, buy 1 get 2 free. Sounds like a good deal, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

morris248

Bronze

Post by morris248 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:50 am

Extension_Cord wrote:
Bosque wrote:
Renzo wrote:
JAB has a sale right now according to their site, buy 1 get 2 free. Sounds like a good deal, no?
Only if you need three suits. Wait and you can buy just one usually at clearance. You can sign up for their emails. The signature line is a good middle grade that will last a number of years and yes you need a suit and several good dress shirts.

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:05 am

Go to the Brooks Brothers Outlet. Decent suit (not the same as retail store) for not a ton of money. JAB suits take a ton of altering to look right on me because they are cut for those that are overweight.

Whatever you do, get it tailored by a real tailor.

Also, we needed one 1L for our oral arguments.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Sun Oct 16, 2011 10:53 am

blowhard wrote:
Whatever you do, get it tailored by a real tailor.
a tailored suit from macys will look a lot better than a suit from the bank and the 1818 series from BB is not worth the money, even if it is on sale.

if you are broke, go to macys and then take it to a tailor. in fact, dont waster money on BB or the bank, they are overpriced trash.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:31 pm

If no sales, check out the nice stores outlets...Saks Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack.

Good quality at fairly inexpensive prices.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SilverE2

Silver

Post by SilverE2 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:28 pm

kalvano wrote:If no sales, check out the nice stores outlets...Saks Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack.

+1 on this.

Depending on the city you live in, some of the cities with bigger fashion markets (NY, Miami, LA) may have really nice stuff at Marshall's. I've picked up a Ralph Lauren blazer, made in Italy by Corneliani, for a little under $200. Full price was about $1300.

Also, Nordstrom Rack has a lot of Hickey Freeman suits at deep discount. Stay away from the Hickey Freeman "Ltd." line (look at the inside pocket tag), but other than than Hickey makes great business trad suits.

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:36 pm

SilverE2 wrote:
kalvano wrote:If no sales, check out the nice stores outlets...Saks Off 5th, Nordstrom Rack.

+1 on this.

Depending on the city you live in, some of the cities with bigger fashion markets (NY, Miami, LA) may have really nice stuff at Marshall's. I've picked up a Ralph Lauren blazer, made in Italy by Corneliani, for a little under $200. Full price was about $1300.

Also, Nordstrom Rack has a lot of Hickey Freeman suits at deep discount. Stay away from the Hickey Freeman "Ltd." line (look at the inside pocket tag), but other than than Hickey makes great business trad suits.
I just want you to know that I hate you ... I really really hate you.

OP: make sure you know your size before you go shopping. The sales reps at places like Macys often won't size you or will make a show of sizing you but don't know how to properly do it. A suit jacket's shoulders should extend JUST past the end of your shoulders. When buttoned, it should come down to the knuckle on your thumb when your hands rest by your sides (or SLIGHTLY higher).

P.S. Solid Charcoal grey or solid navy blue are the only two acceptable colors.
P.P.S. Notch lapel only. If you don't know what that is ... google it.

NeighborGuy

Bronze

Post by NeighborGuy » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:45 pm

Ebay is worth checking out for suits. Seriously. Of course it would be better to drop hundreds of dollars and get a quality new one, but you're probably as poor as I am, so if you can get a suit that works for <$200 or so (tailoring included), why not?

Just make sure you have an accurate measure of your shoulder width and chest width. Sleeves and waist are easy enough to get tailored. Go try on some off-the-rack suit jackets to figure out what size fits you best (40, 42, 44, and so on), then start your search there. Check the item description for exact measurements to make sure shoulder and chest match you. Only problem with ebay is that finding flat-front trousers is damn near impossible for me.

AriGoldButNicer

Bronze

Post by AriGoldButNicer » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:48 pm

Over the past few months I've developed a nice wardrobe and have business casual down to a tee. However, my fitness routine that I've done since I've had no stress has actually cut my waist to a 28" from a 32, and my shoulders are actually a bit broader rendering all 4 of my suits clown suits so I'm just gonna see where I am fitness wise by the summer, assume some fat gain and buy 1 nice suit. I don't wanna "fit" back into them as I have twice as much energy, and my excuse for women not talking to me at bars used to be cause I wasn't super rich. Since spending 2 hrs a day at the gym, and the response this gets, I've realized the bar crowd is not quite so future thinking, and refuse to go back to chubby lol.

For cheap suits, paul fredrick at the right times is good.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:57 pm

AriGoldButNicer wrote:Over the past few months I've developed a nice wardrobe and have business casual down to a tee. However, my fitness routine that I've done since I've had no stress has actually cut my waist to a 28" from a 32, and my shoulders are actually a bit broader rendering all 4 of my suits clown suits so I'm just gonna see where I am fitness wise by the summer, assume some fat gain and buy 1 nice suit. I don't wanna "fit" back into them as I have twice as much energy, and my excuse for women not talking to me at bars used to be cause I wasn't super rich. Since spending 2 hrs a day at the gym, and the response this gets, I've realized the bar crowd is not quite so future thinking, and refuse to go back to chubby lol.

For cheap suits, paul fredrick at the right times is good.
You were chubby with a size 32 waist?

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:58 pm

I own 7 suits... unfortunately (fortunately) I lost like 50lbs so none of them fit me. I need to find a good tailor to adjust them all for a decent price.
Extension_Cord wrote:You were chubby with a size 32 waist?
As was I. 28" waist now. Damn normal sized suits.

Army2Law

Bronze

Post by Army2Law » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:11 pm

You haven't been wearing a suit to class everyday? Enjoy median.

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:55 pm

Army2Law wrote:You haven't been wearing a suit to class everyday? Enjoy median.
i lol'd

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:03 pm

Go to a reputable tailor.

Bespoke, Oswald Boateng and shit. Etc. Go out in style, you weary 1L.

I feel your pain. I hate suits myself. So stuffy.

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:19 pm

Army2Law wrote:You haven't been wearing a suit to class everyday? Enjoy median.
+1

I do love the guys who wear a tie to class. Oh, goodness.

luthersloan

Bronze

Post by luthersloan » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:27 pm

There is no reason to avoid men's warehouse. I often buy my suits there, once the partner who was interviewing me was clearly wearing the same suit. Honestly, no one will care. As long as it does not look really cheap, or really expensive and flashy, no one cares.

By the way, I wore a suit every day to class and am top 10%, so clearly you are hurting yourself by wearing one.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:31 pm

SilverE2 wrote:

+1 on this.

+1.I was in Chicago this weekend and there was some nice Hickey Freeman for around 300

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”