What are CALI awards? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Verity

Silver

What are CALI awards?

Post by Verity » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:01 pm

When they say "highest scoring student in each class" determined by the "instructor or registrar," are they talking about scoring on the CALI lessons? Does it go by each subject? When do you find out if you won?

Angus MacGyver

New

Re: What are CALI awards?

Post by Angus MacGyver » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:14 pm

Verity wrote:When they say "highest scoring student in each class" determined by the "instructor or registrar," are they talking about scoring on the CALI lessons? Does it go by each subject? When do you find out if you won?
Cali certificates are awarded to the person who achieves the "High A" in each law school subject/class.

It has nothing to do with your performance on the CALI lessons.

If you get the high A, you get a certificate and a coupon for a free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm

Angus MacGyver wrote:a coupon for a free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza
This is the real reason people go for it. Nobody actually cares about law school grades, they all just want pizza.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:50 pm

Angus MacGyver wrote:
Verity wrote:When they say "highest scoring student in each class" determined by the "instructor or registrar," are they talking about scoring on the CALI lessons? Does it go by each subject? When do you find out if you won?
Cali certificates are awarded to the person who achieves the "High A" in each law school subject/class.

It has nothing to do with your performance on the CALI lessons.

If you get the high A, you get a certificate and a coupon for a free Pizza Hut Personal Pan Pizza.
Some people get pizza?? Damn, Illinois sucks. This is worse than lying about medians.

nickwar

Bronze

Post by nickwar » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:34 pm

If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Sorry, seemed opportune.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:25 am

Cali awards go to the most outstanding student in a given class. If the class has 10 students, only one can win the CALI award. If a class has 100 students, only one can win the CALI award. In most schools, the student with the highest grade will get the CALI award. Not all professors/classes/schools award CALI awards.

Winners of the CALI award are listed publically on the CALI website. Information can be found here - --LinkRemoved--

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Sat Oct 15, 2011 3:56 am

nickwar wrote:If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Sorry, seemed opportune.
right...except most schools don't have "CALI" awards. hth.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Sat Oct 15, 2011 6:42 am

They are certificates that I stuck on the bottom shelf in my office never to see the light of day.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

f0bolous wrote:
nickwar wrote:If you have to ask, you'll never know.

Sorry, seemed opportune.
right...except most schools don't have "CALI" awards. hth.
Your 'tar, it's awesome.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:57 pm

reasonable_man wrote:They are certificates that I stuck on the bottom shelf in my office never to see the light of day.
On point, yet again.

jkay

Bronze

Post by jkay » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:44 pm

Something only douches talk about.

In other words, a hot topic in the law review offices.

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:35 am

jkay wrote:Something only douches talk about.

All kidding aside, those fuckers take them seriously...

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:54 am

reasonable_man wrote:
jkay wrote:Something only douches talk about.

All kidding aside, those fuckers take them seriously...
My school doesn't give Calis, but for shits and giggles I looked to see if my friend's school does. While scanning for his name I came across some broad who had a few, so I googled her name to see where she ended up working. She's at some decent sized firm in Vegas and her firm bio says she won 10 Calis. Crazy. Also interesting is she was a first year associate and like 40 years old.

agroothuis

New

Post by agroothuis » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:36 pm

Hi guys,

I work for CALI.

There's normally a good amount of confusion about CALI Awards, so feel free to let me know if you have questions.

Some facts to help clear up a few common misconceptions:

- The funniest thing I see year-after-year is the difference in perception of the awards between students at CALI Award and Non-CALI Award schools.

If you're at a school that doesn't give awards you, of course, assume that most schools don't give awards. Or you assume that the awards are the mark of a less reputable school than yours. But if you attend a school that does give CALI Awards, they're such a big part of the 1L experience that you assume every law student must know about them.

Truth is, it's about a 50/50 split across US law schools, and that list covers all tiers. So this confusion is understandable.

--LinkRemoved-- (sorry, it's at our old site).

- With 100+ schools giving awards for several years now, that means that most legal recruiters and hiring managers recognize CALI Awards. I don't blame you for stashing away the kinda cheesy certificate so it's never to be seen again. But in this market, leave your award - and the chance to differentiate yourself as the top performer in a class - off your resume at your own risk.

- The professor of each course chooses the winner(s) of the award based on whatever criteria he/she chooses, assuming the school doesn't have a standard for picking winners.

- The school reports the winners to us.

- Based on the list they give us, we print awards for the school to distribute and then list winners at the link above.

- The school or the individual student, however, has the option to hide their awards from the public, so not all awards are listed at the link.

Thanks for your interest and, again, any questions let me know.

Austin Groothuis
CALI
austin_at_cali_dot_org

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”