1Ls having 2nd thoughts about law school? Discuss here. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

1Ls having 2nd thoughts about law school? Discuss here.

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:17 pm

I have NOT made a decision, but I've officially put the idea of dropping out at the end of the semester on the table. The legal market gets worse every year with the surplus of attorneys, and if you couple that with the amount of money law school costs (tuition AND lost wages), I'm starting to lean more and more towards cutting my losses before I go all in. Right now there's only been minor damage that can easily be recovered from, but that won't be the case the longer I stay. I went back and forth with law school over the summer, and I reluctantly pulled the trigger.

So there's my thinking. Any other 1Ls share my sentiment?

typ3

Silver

Re: 1Ls having 2nd thoughts about law school? Discuss here.

Post by typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:24 pm

Typical first semester cold feet. Wait until you get your grades. Is it worth jumping ship if you're top 5,10,20% ? If you're at TTT then yes. T-14 no.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:28 pm

typ3 wrote:Typical first semester cold feet. Wait until you get your grades. Is it worth jumping ship if you're top 5,10,20% ? If you're at TTT then yes. T-14 no.

Yes, I am waiting until the end of the semester to make a choice. However, the only thing I wanted to do is work at the DA's office, and they are not that concerned with grades to begin with. No matter where you turn, your situation seems to be bad. We're screwed on the biglaw end (which I think would suck anyway) and on the government end with all the hiring freezes.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:42 pm

I guess I'm the only one who feels this way. LOL.

truevines

Bronze

Post by truevines » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:48 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote: Yes, I am waiting until the end of the semester . . . .
Depending on your school, you probably won't get your grades or class ranks back until February next year. At that time, you probably can't get a full tuition refund.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Pato_09

Bronze

Post by Pato_09 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:54 pm

It all depends which school you attend. And the DA's office do care about grades and school.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:56 pm

2L here. Struck out at OCI, dropping out to pursue a second bachelors degree. Wish I had done it when I first thought about it after 1L first semester.

yntzoid

New

Post by yntzoid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:00 pm

I'm dropping out. Had a K midterm today, wanted to see how that goes before I leave. What range of school are you at and what are your plans for after you leave? I'm planning on working a bit doing whatever to just get some cash then go back to school for something else.

yntzoid

New

Post by yntzoid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:02 pm

174 wrote:2L here. Struck out at OCI, dropping out to pursue a second bachelors degree. Wish I had done it when I first thought about it after 1L first semester.
Sorry to hear that man. Do you really want to be a lawyer? I've followed these boards for a long time and it seems like if you aren't biglaw or bust you still have a fighting chance to get SOMETHING, no?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ChiCity22

New

Post by ChiCity22 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:03 pm

Decent chance I'm gone after this year. 100% gone if I lose my scholly.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:05 pm

yntzoid wrote:
174 wrote:2L here. Struck out at OCI, dropping out to pursue a second bachelors degree. Wish I had done it when I first thought about it after 1L first semester.
Sorry to hear that man. Do you really want to be a lawyer? I've followed these boards for a long time and it seems like if you aren't biglaw or bust you still have a fighting chance to get SOMETHING, no?
Or you go work at a small firm or as a sole practitioner. Those aren't bad options if, 1.) you're highly motivated, 2.) don't mind taking on the risk, 3.) don't mind the lack of prestige.. that is unless you become a well known litigator getting 7 figures in fees.

Bronze

Post by 174 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:07 pm

yntzoid wrote:
1. Realized I don't want to be a lawyer during 1L. Thought I could tolerate it for $160K and got good enough grades for it to be a possibility, so I stayed.
2. Even if I did want to be a lawyer, I don't know if I could stomach another $45K of debt for a "fighting chance" at gainful employment.

I'm quite relieved to put this all behind me and start fresh.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I have NOT made a decision, but I've officially put the idea of dropping out at the end of the semester on the table. The legal market gets worse every year with the surplus of attorneys, and if you couple that with the amount of money law school costs (tuition AND lost wages), I'm starting to lean more and more towards cutting my losses before I go all in. Right now there's only been minor damage that can easily be recovered from, but that won't be the case the longer I stay. I went back and forth with law school over the summer, and I reluctantly pulled the trigger.

School rank?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

yntzoid

New

Post by yntzoid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:15 pm

174 wrote:
yntzoid wrote:
1. Realized I don't want to be a lawyer during 1L. Thought I could tolerate it for $160K and got good enough grades for it to be a possibility, so I stayed.
2. Even if I did want to be a lawyer, I don't know if I could stomach another $45K of debt for a "fighting chance" at gainful employment.

Good point. Another $45K is a lot more money.

Sad really that it is mid-October and already a drop out thread for 1Ls. Pre ITE I fell for the dream of graduating and making 160K. Thought if I 'worked hard' I could do it. Now I'm here, I hate the material, and hate research.

EDIT: Luckily not paying a ton of $$. Thought I could hash it out after I realized the places I got into made biglaw completely unavailable. Maybe DA work, or private practice on my own or a crappy small firm. In any case, I realized I just do not want to be a lawyer.

Gotta admit, it is an unsettling feeling.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:19 pm

yntzoid wrote:I'm dropping out. Had a K midterm today, wanted to see how that goes before I leave. What range of school are you at and what are your plans for after you leave? I'm planning on working a bit doing whatever to just get some cash then go back to school for something else.
Did you bomb your midterm? What range of school are you at?

Bronze

Post by 174 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:20 pm

yntzoid wrote:
174 wrote:
yntzoid wrote:

Good point. Another $45K is a lot more money.

Sad really that it is mid-October and already a drop out thread for 1Ls. Pre ITE I fell for the dream of graduating and making 160K. Thought if I 'worked hard' I could do it. Now I'm here, I hate the material, and hate research.

EDIT: Luckily not paying a ton of $$. Thought I could hash it out after I realized the places I got into made biglaw completely unavailable. Maybe DA work, or private practice on my own or a crappy small firm. In any case, I realized I just do not want to be a lawyer.

Gotta admit, it is an unsettling feeling.
What are your other options?

yntzoid

New

Post by yntzoid » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:22 pm

shoeshine wrote:
yntzoid wrote:I'm dropping out. Had a K midterm today, wanted to see how that goes before I leave. What range of school are you at and what are your plans for after you leave? I'm planning on working a bit doing whatever to just get some cash then go back to school for something else.
Did you bomb your midterm? What range of school are you at?
Thought it went alright, actually. Left thinking I hit all the major issues and gave myself significant time to make sure my answers were clear, organized and not just a information dump. I'm sure my positive feeling about it will be brought down a few notches when we get the grades back.

TT in metro-NYC

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:54 pm

truevines wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote: Yes, I am waiting until the end of the semester . . . .
Depending on your school, you probably won't get your grades or class ranks back until February next year. At that time, you probably can't get a full tuition refund.
Wow, that is news to me. I assumed we would get them back sometime in mid January right before the semester begins.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:57 pm

Pato_09 wrote:It all depends which school you attend. And the DA's office do care about grades and school.

I never said they don't care, but from what I've seen they it's not nearly as important as it is for biglaw, and you certainly don't have to be in the top 10% or even the top third. They seem to care more about clinics, externships/internships, mock trial, motivation, etc. Where you live it might be a different story, though. I know high profile offices like Manhattan are as hard to get a biglaw. I am/was open to working even in a rural community if need be.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:00 pm

If I do leave, I will probably get on with my family's business. It's not extremely lucrative, but it does pay decent.

Also, if I do leave, I'm done with school. End of story. What were you planning on going back to school for?

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:02 pm

typ3 wrote:
yntzoid wrote:
Or you go work at a small firm or as a sole practitioner. Those aren't bad options if, 1.) you're highly motivated, 2.) don't mind taking on the risk, 3.) don't mind the lack of prestige.. that is unless you become a well known litigator getting 7 figures in fees.
I think most small firms are not worth it, I definitely don't want to start up once of those run-down small crap offices you drive past all the time.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:03 pm

ChiCity22 wrote:Decent chance I'm gone after this year. 100% gone if I lose my scholly.

What are your plans if you do leave?

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:06 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Gettingstarted1928 wrote:I have NOT made a decision, but I've officially put the idea of dropping out at the end of the semester on the table. The legal market gets worse every year with the surplus of attorneys, and if you couple that with the amount of money law school costs (tuition AND lost wages), I'm starting to lean more and more towards cutting my losses before I go all in. Right now there's only been minor damage that can easily be recovered from, but that won't be the case the longer I stay. I went back and forth with law school over the summer, and I reluctantly pulled the trigger.

School rank?
Southern T2....I know your initial response is "of course, you should drop out." However, as i stated before, I don't want a firm job, and the DA offices in my town hire almost entirely from my school and another similarly ranked school.

SarahKerrigan

Bronze

Post by SarahKerrigan » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:08 pm

Just curious, what are you getting your second bachelors in?

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:09 pm

Posted from another thread

MTal's guide to success in life.

1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.

Report this post

1. Don't accrue 150k in non-dischargeable debt to go to law school for the small chance of being an attorney. Even if you realize the chance, your starting salary will most likely be somewhere in the 35-50k range with few if any benefits.
2. Get a job. Really almost ANY job will do.
3. Work hard at your job. Work as hard as if it was your own business. Show enthusiasm for what you do and get along with co-workers and superiors.
4. Get promoted to management. This will take anywhere from 3-5 years, depending on where you are. At this point, you will be making anywhere from 60-80k.
5. Keep working management job and enjoy middle class life, OR, save up enough funds to start your own business. Either way, life will be good.

Report this post

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”