Difficulty in securing a position as an ADA in this economy? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Difficulty in securing a position as an ADA in this economy?

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:56 pm

I'm a 1L, and I came to law school with the intention of becoming a prosecutor. I've done quite a bit of research on how to make myself as marketable as possible to DA offices, but what I would really like to know is how difficult it is to get the job ITE (assuming that I take advantage of all crim courses, clinics, mock trial, etc.). Yes, I realize that certain offices (ex. Manhattan) are as difficult to get as a biglaw, but I'm wondering about your average office in a average city or even smaller communities. Also, how difficult is it to get an internship with one of these offices?

I would really prefer to hear from someone who actually has first-hand knowledge and isn't just speculating based on hiring freezes in many cities.

I really appreciate the advise.
Last edited by Gettingstarted1928 on Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Diamond

Re: Difficulty in securing a position as an ADA in this economy?

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:35 am

It largely depends on the size of the city. The bigger the city, the more competitive. However, in smaller cities, it tends to be a bit of an old boys network.

It's as competitive as a decent firm job, meaning pretty damn competitive.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:18 am

Getting an internship is not very difficult. They are overworked so they will gladly take free help. The problem with getting jobs is that hiring freezes are in effect in many many places right now for an indefinite period of time. They may very well want to hire you and just wouldn't be able to. I suggest doing mock trial, any clinic or practicum you are able to get your hands on, and interning with a DA office both of your summers and preferably part time during the year. At that point your resume is about as marketable as it can be for that position and you'll basically be applying to dozens of DA offices in hopes of finding one that isn't going through a hiring freeze.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:31 pm

I guess what I'm a little concerned about is that I really don't want to do anything else besides prosecution, so the last thing I want to happen is to graduate, get zero offers from DA offices, and have to settle for doc review or something similar. I'm thinking maybe I'm taking a HUGE risk here. Any thoughts before I spend another dime on my education?

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:37 pm

It depends on how stuck you are on a certain office. If you can get a decent school with a full ride or close to it, then apply all over and not have much debt, you're fine. If you have $200K in loans, it might be an issue.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

leobowski

Silver

Post by leobowski » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Get a 2L internship with an office that is hiring. Don't suck in court. Hope for the best.

boaltrising3l

New

Post by boaltrising3l » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Almost impossible, know a few people at school on this path. They are getting rejected for the opportunity to VOLUNTEER at a DAs office. It's a pretty big accomplishment to be able to get an unpaid position after graduation in an office, full time paying a damn near heroic feat.

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:15 pm

boaltrising3l wrote:Almost impossible, know a few people at school on this path. They are getting rejected for the opportunity to VOLUNTEER at a DAs office. It's a pretty big accomplishment to be able to get an unpaid position after graduation in an office, full time paying a damn near heroic feat.
What market?

Gettingstarted1928

Bronze

Post by Gettingstarted1928 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Giving this thread one last bump before I let it die.

Voltaire

New

Post by Voltaire » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:29 pm

Gettingstarted1928 wrote:Giving this thread one last bump before I let it die.
If you haven't seen it yet, there's an awesome thread in the employment forum on this topic. It's called "How to be a PD/Prosecution Gunner" or something like that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”