Civil Procedure Hard? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jarofsoup

Gold

Civil Procedure Hard?

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:56 am

Are any other students finding Civil Pro do be incredibly difficult?

There are no solid rules and the cases make me me scratch me head. I feel like E & E's by Glanon is more useful than the case book and the instruction. Anyone feel this way?

Metaread

Bronze

Re: Civil Procedure Hard?

Post by Metaread » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:58 am

I got the Freer book by Aspen, that's also a great study aid (and in language that one can actually understand, unlike the casebook).

But yes, Civil Procedure is tough. The curve won't be the enemy on the exam, the exam itself will be challenge enough.

Teoeo

Silver

Post by Teoeo » Sun Oct 09, 2011 2:32 am

jarofsoup wrote:Are any other students finding Civil Pro do be incredibly difficult?

There are no solid rules and the cases make me me scratch me head. I feel like E & E's by Glanon is more useful than the case book and the instruction. Anyone feel this way?

Civil Procedure can be confusing at first, but the glannon on civil / EE are pretty good. Btw, I couldn't help but lol at the bolded :D

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:12 am

Civil Procedure (contrary to popular belief) is not very difficult. Rules are hard and fast, and if you take the time to understand how they work with each other, you can understand it fairly easily. The big picture topics - Discovery, PersJ, Erie, etc. - require some thought but otherwise it's a straightforward subject.

I found it much easier to test CivPro than something like Conlaw, which is a miserable class.

ClarDarr

Bronze

Post by ClarDarr » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:26 am

yeah... civ pro can be challenging, but....there are most definitely hard and fast rules.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mimi82

New

Post by mimi82 » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:48 am

Yeah I agree it is difficult...but oddly its my favorite class. I love the idea that i can win a case w/o even going to trial, not based on the merit of the case. If I really become good at this I can just knock out people left and right...lol Sorry to me its like a game. I feel like the key for civpro is to understand there is an exception to like every rule. I'm a first year too so I'll find out if my strategy works during finals.

lifestooquick

Silver

Post by lifestooquick » Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 am

Metaread wrote:I got the Freer book by Aspen, that's also a great study aid (and in language that one can actually understand, unlike the casebook).

But yes, Civil Procedure is tough. The curve won't be the enemy on the exam, the exam itself will be challenge enough.
Richard Freer is the only reason I know what the hell is going on in Civ Pro. I <3 that book.

NeighborGuy

Bronze

Post by NeighborGuy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:15 pm

Apparently my CivPro exam is going to be a test of how well I can regurgitate the Federal Rules from memory. I get 1 page of notes, that's it, and my prof wants exact citations on everything down to the specific subsection.

So yeah, not my favorite class at all. If all I had to do was understand the concepts and be able to apply them, I'd be set.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:32 pm

My professor also wants a regurgitation. But also wants to know every bloody concurrence and dissent. Yay for canned briefs.

Its open note and open book. So I am going to just make a fat outline from supplements, Prof. lectures, and the book. Make a big flow chart and hope for the best.

My goal is to out organize my class mates.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:04 pm

jarofsoup wrote:My goal is to out organize my class mates.
Not sure if that's the best idea.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:17 pm

quiver wrote:

Any better ideas?

sperry

Bronze

Post by sperry » Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:26 pm

Civ Pro isn't really too difficult, but it is kind of mind-boggling at first because most 1Ls don't really know anything about it. Going into Law school I knew what a contract was, and what a tort was, and what the Constitution was, but concepts like subject matter jurisdiction were completely foreign and difficult to grasp at first. As a result I studied a lot for Civ Pro and blew off the other classes, which in hindsight was a very poor idea. At least I did well in Civ Pro though :D

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:10 pm

lifestooquick wrote:
Metaread wrote:I got the Freer book by Aspen, that's also a great study aid (and in language that one can actually understand, unlike the casebook).

Richard Freer is the only reason I know what the hell is going on in Civ Pro. I <3 that book.
Freer saved me.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:35 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
quiver wrote:

Any better ideas?
Learn it?

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:18 pm

sundance95 wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:
quiver wrote:

Any better ideas?
Learn it?
That's what I had in mind.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”