1L Summer Employment Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Bildungsroman

Platinum

Re: 1L Summer Employment

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:26 pm

Have received one request for undergrad transcripts and one "we do 1L OCI at local schools but if we have a spot left we'll look at your resume." I assume both of these will end in caviar-based callback and offer celebrations in Aspen.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:50 pm

If we're applying to a firm in a small secondary market (think small like Hartford, Providence, etc), would it be weird to put our high school on our resume to show we grew up there?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:51 pm

RPK34 wrote:If we're applying to a firm in a small secondary market (think small like Hartford, Providence, etc), would it be weird to put our high school on our resume to show we grew up there?
I used the cover letter to mention my ties to the secondary I applied in. High school on resume seems weird and a waste of space.

jawsthegreat

Silver

Post by jawsthegreat » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
RPK34 wrote:If we're applying to a firm in a small secondary market (think small like Hartford, Providence, etc), would it be weird to put our high school on our resume to show we grew up there?
I used the cover letter to mention my ties to the secondary I applied in. High school on resume seems weird and a waste of space.
I used HS on the resume last year. Wasn't weird at all. Got a summer associateship. HTH.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:24 pm

After a meeting with the CSO, I've decided to (mostly) drop out of the race until after finals. I plan to send an app to a district judge this weekend who is a good friend of my gf's family, and then not worry about job stuff until winter break. Just don't have the time for it right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:35 pm

jawsthegreat wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
I used HS on the resume last year. Wasn't weird at all. Got a summer associateship. HTH.
Just because you overcame this indiscretion doesn't mean everyone should do it. It's weird and unprofessional.

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:23 pm

beachbum wrote:After a meeting with the CSO, I've decided to (mostly) drop out of the race until after finals. I plan to send an app to a district judge this weekend who is a good friend of my gf's family, and then not worry about job stuff until winter break. Just don't have the time for it right now.
That's a good idea. Dukies take care of their own so try to find some alum at firms you're interested in.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:41 pm

beachbum wrote:After a meeting with the CSO, I've decided to (mostly) drop out of the race until after finals. I plan to send an app to a district judge this weekend who is a good friend of my gf's family, and then not worry about job stuff until winter break. Just don't have the time for it right now.
I'd mail whatever firms in St. L. that hire 1Ls. Other than that, concentrate of school.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Grizz wrote:
I'd mail whatever firms in St. L. that hire 1Ls. Other than that, concentrate of school.
I don't even think I'm gonna do that. After going over everything with career services, it looks like I just have too much work to do on my resume/cover letters to justify the time commitment over studying for finals.

I figure I'll get my apps in around mid-late December. Hopefully some STL firms will still give me a look, but, regardless what happens, finals are just too important right now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

headandshoulderos

Bronze

Post by headandshoulderos » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:26 am

don't do anything but study. you could literally flip burgers and write a paper on your own this summer and still get a job through 2L oci. but only if you knock your gpa out of the park.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:27 am

beachbum wrote:
Grizz wrote:
I don't even think I'm gonna do that. After going over everything with career services, it looks like I just have too much work to do on my resume/cover letters to justify the time commitment over studying for finals.

I figure I'll get my apps in around mid-late December. Hopefully some STL firms will still give me a look, but, regardless what happens, finals are just too important right now.
this is exactly how i feel.

honestly, i don't care what i get so long as i get something. my focus is doing well on finals, period. the rest can wait.

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:16 pm

Grizz wrote:
Antrim wrote:Random etiquette question- when a firm e-mails back and says "We apologize but are not hiring 1Ls due to a full 2L hiring etc. etc. we hope to hear from you next year" is it right to just not reply back or do you need to send a thanks anyway e-mail?
Nothing.
To further this question I got an email that says they're done hiring for 2012 but if I'm interested in the type of work they do please let them know and they will contact me for next summer. Do I reply now? And should I just say "Yes, I'm interested. I look forward to hearing from you."

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:23 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Dec 03, 2011 5:47 pm

OP, you should turn this into a poll to see what everyone's hoping to get: firm job, judicial internship, gov internship, RA, PI, prosecutor internship, corporate internship, etc. Not sure what all the categories should be.

I personally may RA, but only if I get in with a particular prof, and that whole process won't really move until the end of January.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:04 am

acrossthelake wrote:Didn't massmail firms in my school's market. Am wondering if I should send those out now. It's a bit late.
It's three days late...I really doubt they've already filled their summer classes.

jess

Post by jess » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Last edited by jess on Fri Oct 27, 2017 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Jessuf wrote:bringing this back to life now that finals are mostly over...

was just on symplicity, and it seems like my school has absolutely nothing for 1Ls. i know that's expected but still depressing. there are no NALP firms hiring 1Ls this summer in my area. i already mass mailed judges. i guess now i should try lining up a waitressing job.
Mail state and local govt.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:06 am

Mike12188 wrote:
Grizz wrote:
Antrim wrote:Random etiquette question- when a firm e-mails back and says "We apologize but are not hiring 1Ls due to a full 2L hiring etc. etc. we hope to hear from you next year" is it right to just not reply back or do you need to send a thanks anyway e-mail?
Nothing.
To further this question I got an email that says they're done hiring for 2012 but if I'm interested in the type of work they do please let them know and they will contact me for next summer. Do I reply now? And should I just say "Yes, I'm interested. I look forward to hearing from you."
same

Extension_Cord

Silver

Post by Extension_Cord » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:15 am

I have a paid job as a paralegal ($15-20 an hour) lined up over summer. Does this count or did I really miss out on making my summer useful?

I didnt send out apps to judges or anything.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:43 am

Extension_Cord wrote:I have a paid job as a paralegal ($15-20 an hour) lined up over summer. Does this count or did I really miss out on making my summer useful?

I didnt send out apps to judges or anything.
Huh? Does the firm know you are in law school? If so, aren't they going to bill you out as a law clerk for 30% more hourly than they would for a paralegal? Just call the firm and ask to have your title changed, not sure why'd they care.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”