Office hours Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
delusional

Silver

Office hours

Post by delusional » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:24 pm

What are they for? Can you use them to get more general advice from a professor whose personality you mesh with and/or career trajectory you want to follow? Or is it just for course specific discussion, for things that may not fit into class, but are not too closely related to the finals, because there's this almost religious deference to pretending until mid-December that there are not going to be finals? Sorry I got carried away.

The point is, if you want to talk to a prof about his/her career, success tips, or just generally brown-nose, is office hours good for that?

kahechsof

Bronze

Re: Office hours

Post by kahechsof » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:26 pm

Yes. You can ask whatever you want, and most professors will he happy to help.
Of course, if they seem a bit disinterested by your first question, go back to Rule Against Perpetuities.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:27 pm

It is absolutely good for that, and I don't think any professor would discourage you from coming and discussing your goals/interests, and asking to hear about your professor's experiences. Professors can be invaluable resources for this kind of advice.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:50 pm

Go in with some substantive questions the first time. If you have no questions regarding the covered materials, come up with a few that are tangential to the material. Gunner type questions that you would never ask in class, but that you can ask in office hours.

After that, feel free to talk about your interests/goals/their experience. Some professors are more receptive to this than others. Just try and have a few substantive questions for them as well, just in case.

BarbellDreams

Gold

Post by BarbellDreams » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:56 pm

I got really close with my favorite professor when I was a 1L and ended up getting a letter of rec and some really good advice about the legal profession from her. If you have a professor that is approachable and you really want to get to know about their work I suggest using office hours (assuming there is not line). Also, if you don't have that interest, don't go in trying to suck up and pretend that you do.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:39 pm

i talk about fantasy football in office hours

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Thu Oct 06, 2011 7:17 pm

Professors probably enjoy students who come in to chat a bit and not bitch about grades / something they don't understand.

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Sat Oct 08, 2011 2:07 am

my friend went to office hours last week of our younger, cool professor. she asked a couple of class related questions then they just chatted. then he offered to take her and her other friend out to lunch. i'm totally going to his hours this week.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”