loneliness as a transfer student Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jb9

New

loneliness as a transfer student

Post by jb9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:49 pm

thought it would be useful to start a thread on this. 1L year is where people bond over some insane stress about getting good grades.
2L and 3L years are pretty much more like "grad school" and less like a rat-race for jobs, after OCI dust settles down that is.

As a transfer student and a 3L, I must say it's been pretty hard to get to know really anyone other than one or two other transfers, despite joining journals and taking relatively small classes. And the feeling of loneliness is only worsened when you clearly see groups of students flocking together after classes and you rewind the scene to their shared memories/bonds during 1L year.

Of course, keeping in touch with 1L classmates over email doesn't ever just cut it. Moral of the story, transfer with your eyes wide open about this social aspect of things - putting jobs aside. Exception: if you're a hot blonde, they seem to have integrated as transfers quite well.

chrisbru

Gold

Re: loneliness as a transfer student

Post by chrisbru » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:12 pm

jb9 wrote:thought it would be useful to start a thread on this. 1L year is where people bond over some insane stress about getting good grades.
2L and 3L years are pretty much more like "grad school" and less like a rat-race for jobs, after OCI dust settles down that is.

As a transfer student and a 3L, I must say it's been pretty hard to get to know really anyone other than one or two other transfers, despite joining journals and taking relatively small classes. And the feeling of loneliness is only worsened when you clearly see groups of students flocking together after classes and you rewind the scene to their shared memories/bonds during 1L year.

Of course, keeping in touch with 1L classmates over email doesn't ever just cut it. Moral of the story, transfer with your eyes wide open about this social aspect of things - putting jobs aside. Exception: if you're a hot blonde, they seem to have integrated as transfers quite well.

Go to law night/bar review or other social activities that your school may offer.

Join a professional fraternity, make connections that way.

Reach out to a classmate or two in one of your classes, and ask them to include you when they do things with others in the class.

jb9

New

Post by jb9 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:24 pm

suggestions well taken.

That was more of a vent and call for commiseration than a plea for advice.

guess i'm the only lonely transfer student out there!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:34 pm

jb9 wrote:suggestions well taken.

That was more of a vent and call for commiseration than a plea for advice.

guess i'm the only lonely transfer student out there!

I know more than a few 1L's that share your position even. It just takes putting yourself out there and meeting people! Good luck at the new school!

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:10 am

chrisbru wrote:I know more than a few 1L's that share your position even. It just takes putting yourself out there and meeting people! Good luck at the new school!
I'm in that boat as a 1L. I started the semester going out occasionally with a few other people, but found that I didn't really click with them and kind of eased off and now everyone else seems to be cloistered in their respective cliques and I'm sitting alone in the library with my nose in a book or spending time with my UG friend who lives 30 min away.

Sometimes it annoys me, the cliquey-ness of it all, but I'm here to do well, not drink heavily on Tuesday (and Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc) nights.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:44 am

crossarmant wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I know more than a few 1L's that share your position even. It just takes putting yourself out there and meeting people! Good luck at the new school!
I'm in that boat as a 1L. I started the semester going out occasionally with a few other people, but found that I didn't really click with them and kind of eased off and now everyone else seems to be cloistered in their respective cliques and I'm sitting alone in the library with my nose in a book or spending time with my UG friend who lives 30 min away.

Sometimes it annoys me, the cliquey-ness of it all, but I'm here to do well, not drink heavily on Tuesday (and Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, etc) nights.
thats funny, im here to booze every night except M and T . . . high school v2.0!!

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:45 am

target

Silver

Post by target » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:49 am

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:03 am

I understand where you're coming from as I've met transfer students in your position. You're just going to have to reach out to people around you. Yes, it's true a lot of friend circles have gotten established since 1L. But it's also some friend circles are constantly changing as people join and leave. Even as a 2L recluse, I'm still meeting new people in my year that I'd never spoken to for more once last year.

Congrats on transferring BTW.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:07 pm

dood wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

thats funny, im here to booze every night except M and T . . . high school v2.0!!
TITCR. Same boat except my days are Wed,Thu,Fri,Sat.

I don't get where people get the idea you can't do well and go out. I've gleaned things from going out and meeting 2L's that more than has made up for the time spent drinking and it's saved me tons of time in the end. (Outlines / Hornbooks / advice from people who booked the professor's exams and or transfered to t-6 schools etc.) I mean you can try to master law school all on your own and be a complete island. Hats off to you if you choose that path-- however, I would rather get to the same place while having fun, networking, and working smarter. You're going to spend the next 35+ years or so of your life working. Reach out to people now and make life long friends.
Last edited by typ3 on Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:42 pm

typ3 wrote:

Yup. Gonna take Wed off this week to finish my memo final draft, but I'll be back at it on Thursday.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

Yup. Gonna take Wed off this week to finish my memo final draft, but I'll be back at it on Thursday.
I don't get why people can't be more like this. If I have something due I stay in and grind it out. If I want to go out I work ahead-- I work ahead on Thursdays after class until around 8/9 pm and take off time until Sunday afternoon when I do my work for the rest of the week. I don't sit and worry and procrastinate about the work or exams. People should do the damn work and stop thinking about it and then enjoy their free time to the fullest. However, this advice seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

dreakol

Silver

Post by dreakol » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:32 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I don't get why people can't be more like this. If I have something due I stay in and grind it out. If I want to go out I work ahead-- I work ahead on Thursdays after class until around 8/9 pm and take off time until Sunday afternoon when I do my work for the rest of the week. I don't sit and worry and procrastinate about the work or exams. People should do the damn work and stop thinking about it and then enjoy their free time to the fullest. However, this advice seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.
agreed. i'm a gunner to the fullest, putting in 10-12 hours m-f and 7-8 hours sat/sun but i don't remember the last time i fell asleep sober.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:36 pm

dreakol wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

agreed. i'm a gunner to the fullest, putting in 10-12 hours m-f and 7-8 hours sat/sun but i don't remember the last time i fell asleep sober.
Feel like I'm looking in a mirror.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:42 pm

typ3 wrote:
dreakol wrote: agreed. i'm a gunner to the fullest, putting in 10-12 hours m-f and 7-8 hours sat/sun but i don't remember the last time i fell asleep sober.
Is dreakol a typ3 alt...?

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:44 pm

I'm sorry that you are lonely. After reading this thread, I have decided to be more friendly when transfer students chat me up. Here, the transfers all seem to hang out together because they met at transfer orientation. I guess it could be pretty lonely because all of us have already established all of our friendships and I pretty much exclusively pass my free time with the same set of people. Cheer up :)

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:53 pm

chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
dreakol wrote: agreed. i'm a gunner to the fullest, putting in 10-12 hours m-f and 7-8 hours sat/sun but i don't remember the last time i fell asleep sober.
No. However, I am convinced he is a cyborg built to destroy me though by killing me and stealing my identity. Saw it in a movie once.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:54 pm

typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:
No. However, I am convinced he is a cyborg built to destroy me though by killing me and stealing my identity. Saw it in a movie once.
He claims we're FB friends... So I thought mayyyybe.

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:33 pm

dood wrote:
crossarmant wrote:

same.

::high five::

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:36 pm

dreakol wrote:
typ3 wrote:
chrisbru wrote:
typ3 wrote:

:)

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:46 pm

I think the real problem is that transfers are friendless losers to begin with.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:54 pm

Also transferred and don't know many people at school.

I grew up here though, so I know people in the area and can't say that I'm entirely in the boat as you, OP. But I can definitely relate as far as the social aspect of law school goes. Then again, I don't usually like the type of people who go to law school anyway, so I don't think we're missing all that much.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think the real problem is that transfers are friendless losers to begin with.

And DF comes in with the win.

/thread.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I think the real problem is that transfers are friendless losers to begin with.
Hey! That's the most offensive, ignorant comment I've ever...

actually, I agree.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”